Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Downloading a text file to my iPad4

3K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Pudsey_Bear 
#1 ·
I've created a text file with picture in Libra Open Office, and I need to be able to view it on the iPad4 I downloaded and an app to view it but it didn't work at all.

I can convert to almost any format, so is there a simple way to up/download it, then view it easily.

Also is there an app where I can make it behave a bit more like android, having a simple way to have a back button or similar would do.

#2 ·

Attachments

Reactions: Pudsey_Bear
#4 ·
Ah, I'll give both of those a try later, thank you :) :)

How do I actually get it onto the iPad?

#6 ·
I tried that yesterday, hoping to view it with a app I'd downloaded from the Apple store but it didn't work Drew.

#7 ·
Not getting anywhere so far, I got Adobe PDF reader installed, I emailed/attached a PDF to myself, but opening the email and tapping it only gets me to another useless screen, I want to download it direct to the iPad4, but cannot see how to do that or then to access the wherever it gets put, I went for the PDF option out of simplicity as open office can save any file as a PDF, I can't see word making it easier.

I need to be able to view it offline by the way.

HELP

#8 ·
Presumably you have created the file on another device. Do you have Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive to save files to? If so, you can then install Google Drive or OneDrive on the iPad and access the file from the cloud.

Once downloaded and opened, the file can be saved to Google Drive or OneDrive on the iPad for viewing offline.

Mike

#9 ·
The file is in my Dropbox, and I have dropbox installed, but i need to the Internet to access it, same with Google drive etc, I need to get the actual file onto the ip ad, 8 can do it on my android devices really easily.

#12 ·
Not that I know of Drew, out now, so i will check in the morning.

#11 ·
Tested a PDF I have in Dropbox, selected export to OneNote it works just fine as you can use OneNote offline.

Just download MS OneNote for free and your sorted.

Terry

#13 ·
I'll give it a try tomorrow Terry.

#16 ·
Okay

So far I can open it in my Dropbox on the iPad, but can't see how to download it and then later open it, I'm happy to load it in some different way than via Dropbox, but to be honest it's frustrating the he'll out of me.

#17 ·
#19 ·
Dunno Pete, I'll have a look, I do on my S5 android.

#20 ·
Yes got the 3 dots and the option, but still can't view the file, can't even see it, only the odt one not the PDF.

#21 ·
So if you have the option to make it available offline that will download a permanent copy within dropbox so you will be able to access it offline.
You then can use Export and Open With to open the file with the app you want to run or You can also Save to Files which will allow you access via the Files app and access it from there rather than Dropbox. All these actions are available thru the ... option

#22 ·
I managed to get a PDf to download, but it opens on only half of the screen, getting well peed of with this ipad, the tab4 and my S2 & S5 phones do it easily, but the ipad would be kinder to my peepers.

#23 ·
Sorry dont get that, I use Dropbox extensively for .gpx files and dont have any issues. I assume it is up to date with no updates pending?

Just noticed its no longer supported due to hardware limitations, I wonder if that has something to do with it.

#24 ·
It may be me Pete, I need to re look at it in a day or so when I have less pressure to actually do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.