Motorhome Facts Forum banner

windows old folder on new PC

3K views 34 replies 7 participants last post by  peribro 
#1 ·
I was just searching my drive for a file and noticed this folder

Why do I have this on a brand new puter, it's not done any updates that I know of.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just doing a bit of checking and it was created this morning while I was asleep

#4 ·
But this is a brand new laptop, bought it yesterday from PC world, build date is last July it should not have an update but the full blown win 10 on it.

#5 ·
that seems odd Kev as the only time I've come across a Windows.old folder is when I've upgraded a PC with a more recent Win OS - it's a standard process and you're told it will be created when you do the upgrade. it's used if you want to roll back to a previous issue and accounts for it's size of 16.5Gb.

to me, it looks like PC World have upgraded the laptop from Win 7 or 8 to Win 10 - many PC's shipped last July would have still been loaded with a previous version as that was only just after Win 10 was released.

tbh - it's no big deal as you can delete the folder, although that's not quite as simple as performing a simple delete - follow these instructions instead - http://www.howtogeek.com/223821/what-is-the-windows.old-folder-and-how-do-you-delete-it/

Reactions: Pudsey_Bear
#6 ·
I'm just a bit wary, I remember seeing a lot of post regarding upgraded machines just not running right, so I'd prefer a clean win 10 install, TBH, I looked at how to do it but I'm confused by the instructions.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/windows-10-iso-download/

which says to go here, but this is about upgrades not a clean install :roll:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I admit to being hopeless at following onscreen written instructions and the result is I get very confused and frustrated, So I'm left not knowing what the hell to do to get the clean install.

#8 ·
I watched several vids (as I can learn form those) and I got the media creation tool, which I'm downloading the ISO to the USB stick now, hopefully it'll be a clean install not a upgrade.

#9 ·
a clean install is always preferable to an upgrade. just make sure the laptop is set to boot from the USB stick - the setting for this is in the BIOS which you access via whatever settings are shown when you boot the system up - usually F2, F12 or Ctrl-F2 or similar (varies from make to make).

#10 ·
Okay USB in and downloading.

I do not have a product key, not even sure what I downloaded TBH

Why does it have to be a so difficult, in the old days you got the discs/CD/DVD and a manual with the product key on it, they churn out hundreds of thousands (millions) of PCs every year, do they really save that much.

#11 ·
I assume I go for option 6 as the USB stick, or would it be 4??

#12 · (Edited)
you don't need a physical product key these days. once your system is registered with MS, the product key is held in the hardware so this will be used when you upgrade or do a fresh install as it will recognize your system as legit. might be a bit Big Brother'ish - but it works.

and yes - option 6 would be best. once installed, reverse the order to the setup shown - otherwise you'll wonder why your PC won't boot up if you leave a normal USB installed! :wink2:

#14 ·
you don't need a physical product key these days. once your system is registered with MS, the product key is held in the hardware so this will be used when you upgrade or do a fresh install as it will recognize your system as legit. might be a bit Big Brother'ish - but it works.
And the boot order? oh yeah, nearly forgot, will it format the drive first?

#15 ·
It seems quite Slooow Barry, like it's fighting itself all the time, boot is slow too, going from window to window, page to page all slow to open.

#17 ·
I rang Know how (definitely misnamed) Know FA would be better, they didn't know, done at the factory.

No dats to speak of Barry, only a day old, I auto back up to dropbox now, even downloads got there TF

Must move all my dropbox stuff over to my Google drive.

#18 ·
I'm just waiting for answers to my last couple of questions then I'll crack on with the clean install, I'm just a bit concerned that if I start to do it and it goes toes up what do I say to PCWorld? so I want to be sure of the procedure first.

#20 ·
I've done the download to my USB stick, but I'm waiting for further instruction on how to proceed, I've looked on Youtube, but not of the vids is helping me on this one as they seem to have several ways of doing it.

So which of the USBs in my earlier picture is the correct one to boot from the USB flash stick?

What is the best way to proceed to do the clean install?

No data to worry about.

#22 ·
it's pretty simple Kev

change the boot order so that no.6 becomes no.1 (usually done by highlighting and then using up and down arrows - instructions will be on the screen. and remember to reverse the process to the current setup when you have finished installing). stick the USB drive with the ISO in, and then do Save and Exit on the boot menu. the PC will restart and now try to boot up from the USB stick and install the clean Win 10 in the process. just sit back and let it get on with it and follow any instructions on screen when prompted (usually for language choice, time zone etc). when it finally installs you are good to go.

IF it doesn't boot from USB HDD, then try USB CDROM instead as I think either will work.

#23 ·
Cheers both, I was loathe to rush in and bugger it up, I've just given it a go and it doesn't seem happy using the stick, did a quick vid which might tell you more than me, it's just uploading from the phone.

#24 ·
#25 ·
I think I may have downloaded the wrong file to do a clean install, see below, as I've tried both options and end up with it trying to do an upgrade, which I don't want, but a clean install, but I don't see which one I need to download on the MS web site either, the one I have came from the clean install, button, so I'm a bit stuck again, and very annoyed with myself.

Simple it is not, as is painfully obvious, as we're on page three now :( :( but it ought to be.

#26 ·
I gave it another go, and went all the way through, and now I have two windows old folders :roll: what the heck do you have to do to get a clean install then.

#27 ·
The system will always create a new windows.old folder when you install a new operating system and don't reformat the hard drive prior to the installation which will happen (i.e. not formatting) if you select the Upgrade option. It's no bad thing to have windows.old on your hard drive for a while as it enables you to roll back to it in the event of any system issues. If space subsequently becomes an issue then you can simply delete it.

#28 ·
But doesn't that mean it's still not a clean install though, which is what I'm after Peter.

I'd format the drive, but not sure exactly what the USB has on it and I don't want to end up with a dead PC

Contents of the USB stick

#29 ·
With the greatest of respect Kev as I said earlier you might be best not tackling this and its one that could get messy if your only support is on the forum. If your not happy with it return it or take it in and ask them to reformat it properly and do a clean install as you thought you were sold a pre installed W10 box which is why you bought it.

A complete true clean install means formatting the drive hopefully retaining a recovery partition. The recovery partition should be a Windows 10 one as well not 7 if it was pre installed with that originally which it looks like it wasnt. Only PC World can answer that.

#31 ·
Looks like illegal software or a bug.

Reported.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.