Windows 10 Advice - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 16-12-2015, 20:12 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
listerdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Rushden, Northants
My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Posts: 6,843
Thanks: 46
Thanked 265 Times in 244 Posts
Personal Aire
Windows 10 Advice

Here is a short list of things to get rid of if you are going to Windows 10:

This is from a good source, but back up your data before you do anything!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First, turn off Automatic Updates.

Anything that isn't a service item on manual updates can be ignored.

KB2505438 may cause problems and should be replaced with KB2454826
KB2952664 Windows 7 nagware patch that touts the Windows 10 upgrade
KB2976978 Windows 8/8.1 nagware patch that touts the Windows 10 upgrade
KB3021917 Customer Experience Improvement Program update
KB3022345 (replaced by KB306870 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3035583 Get Windows 10
KB3068708 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3075249 adds telemetry points to ‘consent.exe’ for remote monitoring of everything
KB3080149 ensures that all “down-level devices” receive the same updates and treatment as Windows 10


Can remove those updates using Control Panel, or command prompt:
wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /quiet /norestart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peter
listerdiesel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 16-12-2015, 22:24
Senior Member
 
rosalan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Beds
Posts: 6,089
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
Here is a short list of things to get rid of if you are going to Windows 10:

This is from a good source, but back up your data before you do anything!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First, turn off Automatic Updates.

Anything that isn't a service item on manual updates can be ignored.

KB2505438 may cause problems and should be replaced with KB2454826
KB2952664 Windows 7 nagware patch that touts the Windows 10 upgrade
KB2976978 Windows 8/8.1 nagware patch that touts the Windows 10 upgrade
KB3021917 Customer Experience Improvement Program update
KB3022345 (replaced by KB306870 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3035583 Get Windows 10
KB3068708 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3075249 adds telemetry points to ‘consent.exe’ for remote monitoring of everything
KB3080149 ensures that all “down-level devices” receive the same updates and treatment as Windows 10


Can remove those updates using Control Panel, or command prompt:
wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /quiet /norestart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peter
Hi Peter
When I moved up to Windows 10, after awaiting the half day to download, any applications that were not wanted by Microsoft (not that they would not work) were put into a box called "Removed Applications". Applications it could not deal with, vanished.
My friend decided he did not want Windows 10 and returned to Windows 7; after which his computer ceased to function.
Alan
rosalan is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 17-12-2015, 14:48
Senior Member
 
fatbuddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: rural Zuzzex
My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
Posts: 2,146
Thanks: 3
Thanked 150 Times in 137 Posts
for those who really do NOT want to upgrade to Win 10 - best get prepared as it looks as if MS are going to push this upgrade through whether you want it or not.

but the good news is that there are ways to avoid this - just read this article which I spotted this morning

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/block-a...windows-7-8-1/
raynipper and raynipper like this.

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........
fatbuddha is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 17-12-2015, 15:15
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 8,001
Thanks: 167
Thanked 147 Times in 133 Posts
I think I am going to get a Mac
113016 is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 17-12-2015, 15:30
Senior Member
 
barryd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Posts: 30,544
Thanks: 332
Thanked 1,204 Times in 1,050 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuddha View Post
for those who really do NOT want to upgrade to Win 10 - best get prepared as it looks as if MS are going to push this upgrade through whether you want it or not.

but the good news is that there are ways to avoid this - just read this article which I spotted this morning

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/block-a...windows-7-8-1/
Yep, there are still more XP boxes out there than Windows 10 machines which are only so far on about 9% of computers. XP is still about 10 or 11% I think. They are no where near the billion installers they expected as of yet.

Its all about making money out of the add ons and services that you are gradually being forced into using. I cant say I like the way its going to be honest. Its way to in your face and push, its almost like there is a flaming salesman nagging away in your PC.

I suspect as a result they will bin the cut off date for the free update, maybe it never existed in the first place. When you think about it, its a good way to get people to upgrade by threatening to start charging for it.
rosalan and rosalan like this.


Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
barryd is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 17-12-2015, 15:30
Rest In Peace Mike, 1944-2017.
 
spykal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: I live in a world of my own ( Worcs)
My Motorhome: Autocruise Starburst
Posts: 14,576
Thanks: 2
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Personal Aire
Hi

These are the options you may well be offered now that Microsoft have decided to force ...sorry I mean coerce you into using Windows 10. As you can see from the picture there is no option for No!

The GWX control panel is still working for me and preventing this happening ...although this morning when firing up my computer there was a strange message about a registry upgrade that was too fast to read... and guess what the settings of the GWX had been altered


Mike
When confronted by a problem, you can solve it easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger have handled this?"
spykal is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 17-12-2015, 15:39
Senior Member
 
fatbuddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: rural Zuzzex
My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
Posts: 2,146
Thanks: 3
Thanked 150 Times in 137 Posts
Quote:
The GWX control panel is still working for me and preventing this happening ...although this morning when firing up my computer there was a strange message about a registry upgrade that was too fast to read... and guess what the settings of the GWX had been altered
the GWX settings hadn't been altered - it's the MS settings that GWX uses that had been changed to try to bypass GWX. afaik, if you update GWX it will work again.

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........
fatbuddha is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 17-12-2015, 15:51
Rest In Peace Mike, 1944-2017.
 
spykal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: I live in a world of my own ( Worcs)
My Motorhome: Autocruise Starburst
Posts: 14,576
Thanks: 2
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuddha View Post
the GWX settings hadn't been altered - it's the MS settings that GWX uses that had been changed to try to bypass GWX. afaik, if you update GWX it will work again.
Hi FB

That's what I meant

The GWX control panel shows the current state of the Win 10 upgrade on the pc.


After starting up this morning and noticing that some unscheduled changes were occurring the panel was reporting that Windows update OS upgrades were enabled again.

I reset that option, restarted the PC, and all was well again.....so until the next time

The picture below shows what the Control Panel looks like ... before starting up this morning all entries on mine were showing "No"....

Mike
When confronted by a problem, you can solve it easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger have handled this?"
spykal is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 17-12-2015, 16:33
Senior Member
 
Pudsey_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Keighley, Still in Gods County.
My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Posts: 41,975
Thanks: 1,645
Thanked 1,122 Times in 1,058 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I think I'll choose :-

Set a Registry Key to Disable GWX
Open the registry and head to the following string:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows
Right-click Windows to create a new Key and call it GWX. Now right-click GWX and create a new DWORD Value called DisableGWX. Set its value to 1, close the registry editor, and reboot to activate the changes.

Let me know if this is a bad idea or not
Pudsey_Bear is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 17-12-2015, 16:40
Senior Member
 
fatbuddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: rural Zuzzex
My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
Posts: 2,146
Thanks: 3
Thanked 150 Times in 137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_n_Liz View Post
I think I'll choose :-

Set a Registry Key to Disable GWX
Open the registry and head to the following string:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows
Right-click Windows to create a new Key and call it GWX. Now right-click GWX and create a new DWORD Value called DisableGWX. Set its value to 1, close the registry editor, and reboot to activate the changes.

Let me know if this is a bad idea or not
it's a simple solution that will work but messing with the Registry always needs caution. make sure you make a backup of the current registry before making this change. and you may also find that longer term that this regedit may mess with other components so always proceed with caution.

personally, I'd stick with the GWX Control Panel

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........
fatbuddha is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome