ASUS & ACER Notebooks ~ have you used one? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-12-2013, 12:50 Thread Starter

ASUS & ACER Notebooks ~ have you used one?

Looking at the ASUS VivoBook S200E and the ACER Aspire V5-122P 11.6" Notebooks, has anyone any hands on experience of these?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-12-2013, 13:18

My Motorhome: 2001 Benimar 6000sl on Ducato 2.8JTD
We've got an older model Acer Aspire netbook.

Utterly fantastic for us for motorhome use.

Mainly used for lots of wifi internet use; also to store/carry documents and photos; and as a TV monitor too.....

We can upload to it all the photos/videos that we take on our smartphones during trips away, to free up phone memory space.

To watch TV we just hook it up via USB cable to a portable external hard drive (one terrabyte) which we load up with literally hundreds of home-computer-downloaded-from-internet films and TV series before we set off

If I was buying again I'd consider getting one with a slightly bigger screen becaue of the film viewing use that we put it to. But if not to be used for TV viewing, then the 11.6 is a great size.

We did buy a bigger battery with it at time of purchase instead of the "standard" battery (about 3 years ago?) and I'm glad we did; as we use it a lot away from mains electricity and away from the 12 volt power transformer/adaptor that I bought to power/charge it in the MH.

Small and light enough to carry around easily.
Keyboard is almost normal full size.
Cheap enough that we wouldn't be desolated to drop it/get it stolen.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-12-2013, 13:50

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
I have an Asus notebook 10" screen.I think it is called the sea shell range. We use it in the motorhome for email skype etc. and we have the AutoRoute 2013 installed in case the satnav packs up. Battery lasts around 7-9hours and it is light to carry. had this around 3 years now. I did upgrade the RAM.
we have a tv which can take a usb stick with films etc. so do not use for that,
I do transfer all piccy's from camera when away. cost me about 250.
If looking now would buy same make but would want an HDMi socket.

cabby

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-12-2013, 14:19

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
We have three of the Acer Aspire One notebooks, two early ones and one new last October (2012)

Good machines, the new screens are very good.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NU.SGYAA.003

Peter
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-12-2013, 17:33

My Motorhome: Elnagh Clipper 90
Personal Aire
We had 100 plus ACER laptops of various types at school none of which failed during their life of 2-3 years. Two or three needed a little attention as they were constantly being plugged and unplugged from external LCD projectors. My experience of the brand therefore is that it was very reliable. I have an Acer Aspire One Netbook which I use in the motorhome and on other trips abroad. It has proved a good buy too. Always tempting to change it for a tablet I guess but because I like keyboards and the ability to connect to TV or monitor by cable, and the ability to connect usb devices and drives, I recently upgraded the onboard HDD to a 256GB SSD which again has proved to be a good move as it is almost as quick to wake from sleep mode as the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 we have in the family.

It is light enough to carry around compared to a tablet, has camera for Skype, lacks the megapixels to use it as a camera but my smartphone does that. So I'd say ACER seems to produce reliable products.

Edit: My model had HDMI and VGA ports so versatile connections to larger screens/TVs

Steve
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-12-2013, 19:32

Personal Aire
The connectivity is very good on the Aspire One:

HDMI, VGA, three USB2 ports, built in WiFi. Ethernet and a card reader.

Peter
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-12-2013, 19:32 Thread Starter

Am edging towards the Acer Aspire V5-122P but 2 items crop up in reviews...

#Screen is reflective which doesn't help in an outdoor 'mobile' mode.

#Battery life of around 3 hours with medium use is quite short.

I guess that some reviewers favour one make over another but there are a number of reviews for this model around and they all point to these two things.

I guess that for the price it does the bulk of the other computing stuff well and that is all you can ask for around 300 - 325, just got to find one to have a play with first...

Have noticed that Currys and PC World are listing the V5-122P but are in fact listing the spec for the previous model the V5-121P
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-12-2013, 20:15

Personal Aire
It's always a balance between facilities and features, and battery life.

I've always had spare batteries with mine so not been a problem, and we have a DC-DC converter to charge off the 12V battery so not a problem.

It needs 19V DC at 2.15A.

Peter
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-12-2013, 20:51

I bought an ASUS S200E from Currys about 6 weeks ago as a replacement for my old laptop, which wouldn't fit in the safe of my new motorhome!

The ASUS is a delight with a lovely keyboard, brilliant screen and very effective trackpad. Plugging in a mouse also works very well.

Windows-8.1 works excellently, but you can go to 'Desktop' mode if you prefer to work as if it were Windows-7. All my programs from my old (32-bit) Windows-7 work on the 64-bit Windows-8.1.

I bought the ASUS as a recommendation from the magazine for professionals, PC Pro. It's quick, locks on to my home Wi-Fi very quickly and will last about 5 hours on the battery. Normally I no longer bother about switching it off when I've finished - I just close the screen and leave it in Sleep mode.

There is no DVD player, so you will need to buy a USB DVD player if you want to load your existing programs from DVDs.

Well recommended.

Dr (musical, not medical) Roy

Note: mine was supplied with Windows-8. You have to download all the updates from the Microsoft web-site and then you can download the free 8.1 update. You may find that the latest ones have 8.1 already loaded, but it's more a chore than a hassle.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-12-2013, 22:08 Thread Starter

Dr Roy

Put that model into Amazon search and came up with two prices/computers, can you be a little more specific as there is a 500 price difference!

Many thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page