Vehicle CCTV System For Motorhome - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-02-2019, 00:36

My Motorhome: kinda, almost, sorta 2002 Hymer Classic B584
Been looking at camera options. After rear view & reversing and side on view on right side (as it's LHD). That's 3 cameras. Found two big monitors that take 4 cameras. One is a DVR onto SD card. Could use it parked as well for security. I ended up going for a standard 10.1" with better resolution. Twin camera on rear with different viewing angles and 90 degree camera on each side.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254074563232
Ozzyjohn and raynipper like this.

Last edited by wfdTamar; 22-02-2019 at 00:40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-02-2019, 15:12

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I've forgotten tamar, have you got your MH yet?!?

Jean
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-02-2019, 04:24

Nope. It's still at the dealers until I get there in April/May. Got to find someone to mind my cat first - nobody wants to. Might have to bring her as a last resort. Not sure how she'd like a 24 hour flight and being locked up at the other end. Then 10 days quarantine when we come back here. Or how practical it is in a motorhome.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-02-2019, 05:04

Bit more info on the camera system I'm assembling. The rear one is a clearance item for £64 which is a very good deal for a twin cam one. One has a wide angle lens for parking, the other a narrow angle lens for rear view. Good stuff on this site:

https://www.parkingcameras.com/store...d-of-line.html

Then on each side one of these 90 degree cameras. Would have preferred a narrower angle one on the left side (I have seen some at 30 or 45 degrees) as it'd give a more realistic and larger view of oncoming traffic, but couldn't find one for a decent price (these were about £32 each). Don't really need a camera on the left side as I can just look myself, but I had a spare connection on the monitor so it seemed reasonable to put one on. I did think to put it on the front for a parking cam, but I thought I should be able to see that fine myself.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4PIN-Hea...72.m2749.l2649

All connected to a huge 10.1" LCD. About £98. Went large with the size as the resolution matches the rear camera so should provide excellent vision. Also means if I choose to have all cameras visible together they will still be usable.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-1-TFT...72.m2749.l2649

Then about £7 for another couple of camera cables for the side ones. Total cost £233. You might think it a bit over the top and expensive, but I'll be driving by myself and a large vehicle on the wrong side of the road in a country with much tighter roads than I'm used to so I want to do all I can not to get in trouble. Also got the TomTom Go Camper (scored a 25% discount on that). Last thing I want is to end up stuck on a no go road trying to turn around blind with loads a grumpy French or UK drivers waiting for me (also got the AUS sticker for the rear to gain points).

Even though I didn't go for the DVR 9" monitor, I think the side cameras might act as a deterrent for security as they will cover down the sides over both doors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rearcam.jpg (32.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg sidecams.jpg (56.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg monitor.jpg (90.8 KB, 1 views)
raynipper likes this.

Last edited by wfdTamar; 23-02-2019 at 05:08.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-02-2019, 07:39

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Brilliant Tamar. You certainly have researched the problem. Can I ask why go to these lengths

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-02-2019, 08:12

I've not driven anything larger than a VW Kombi. Camera on the right side is for driving in the UK (Hymer is LHD). I mistakenly said left side in this bit of the post above:

'Would have preferred a narrower angle one on the left side...'

I've read that seeing to the right in a LHD can be tricky if the intersection is on an angle (I wont have a passenger to look for me). The rest I explained at the end (above).
raynipper likes this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-02-2019, 20:18

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdTamar View Post
Then on each side one of these 90 degree cameras. Would have preferred a narrower angle one on the left side [you meant right!](I have seen some at 30 or 45 degrees) as it'd give a more realistic and larger view of oncoming traffic,
When you say oncoming do you mean coming towards you? I think not, from what you say below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdTamar View Post
You might think it a bit over the top and expensive, but I'll be driving by myself and a large vehicle on the wrong side of the road in a country with much tighter roads than I'm used to so I want to do all I can not to get in trouble. Also got the TomTom Go Camper (scored a 25% discount on that). Last thing I want is to end up stuck on a no go road trying to turn around blind with loads a grumpy French or UK drivers waiting for me (also got the AUS sticker for the rear to gain points).
I think it was me who mentioned about the slow lead-on to a wide roundabout when you're driving LHD and solo. What you need is very wide rearward vision.

I'm not sure your AUS sticker will be legal! But I think you've done that before!

Jean
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 25-02-2019, 00:21

Yes, maybe a kangaroo sticker would be better, though a bit corny. I had thought of putting the AUS one upside down I think with GB plates and a GB sticker it should be obvious the legal status of the vehicle. I just wont put the AUS one near the plate. It's not for the purposes of saying 'I'm Australian, aren't I great?' More to apologise for clumsy driving. Maybe gain points in Europe for it.

The problem with a wide angle camera is anything in it is tiny so might be missed.

By 'oncoming' I meant coming toward me from the right. A problem if you aren't at right angles to it (it's further back behind your right shoulder where the van body may block the view). So a side mounted camera not so much pointed back as a bit more to the side (though the 90 degree ones I got should cover both).
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 28-02-2019, 18:41 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Thanks for all your Input people it is very much appreciated, I have some real food for thought now so will be able to make an informed decision once I look in to things a bit more. Much appreciated to you all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page