Motorhome Tracker from Scorpion, are they any good? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 23-12-2013, 19:09 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Motorhome Tracker from Scorpion, are they any good?

After having my previous van stolen, it seemed a good idea to have a tracker fitted. That and the fact that two of the best insurance companies will not cover me without one.
This morning I ordered a Scorpion Tracker and asked every question I could think of over the phone but have any of you any experience of this company and how well or otherwise the tracker works?
At around 320 fitted, it seems cheaper than most while on paper it covers everything I should need. Or does it?

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 24-12-2013, 23:36

Motorhome Tracker

Alan. Ask insurance company which device is acceptable to them. Each company has their own views on what is an acceptable device. You want them on your side, or the just say NO when make a claim. Oh and get it in writing.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 25-12-2013, 09:29 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
I got a list from the insurance companies of about 30 different Trackers that were acceptable.
Are they all the same underneath?
I realise that some are just fitted by 'one man bands' and that a few, including 'Trackmaster' and 'Scorpion' are larger companies. No self fitted trackers are acceptable.
I am now committed to Scorpion but would welcome any observations on them.

Alan

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 25-12-2013, 09:57

We had a Scorpion tracker fitted to our new motorhome by the converters and it seems to be working very well. It was mandatory from our insurers since the purchase price of the motorhome was over their limit for tracker-free motorhomes. You can interrogate the system from your PC and a picture from Google Earth appears with the position of the motorhome marked. It seems to be accurate to within about 10 metres.

The annual subscription rate from Scorpion is quite steep and, according to the converters, is rising quite rapidly.

If the motorhome moves without the ignition being on - on a ferry, for example - you have to notify Scorpion or you will get a warning.

If the motorhome is stolen and put in a garage or a container so that no signal can escape from the tracker, the system remembers the last place from which a signal was received with date and time.

The motorhome hasn't been stolen (thank goodness!) so I have no idea how quickly it would be recovered. The process seems a bit long-winded: after discovering the loss, you first have to notify the Police to get a crime number (and to tell them where the tracker says the motorhome is) and then notify Scorpion. After that Scorpion takes over and liaises with the Police until recovery.

Our insurers approve the Scorpion tracker but I don't know what discount is being applied since we were half-way through the insurance period when we changed motorhomes. Our previous motorhome didn't have a tracker.

I have no experience of other trackers: the Scorpion was the only tracker on the options list from the converters.

Dr (musical, not medical) Roy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 25-12-2013, 11:47

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
We have a Phantom which I like. Although Phantom will always know where the van is the system has a switch which changes the way Tracker monitor it.

When parked we can press the switch then any movement would trigger an alert from Tracker. With the switch in the other position Tracker know we expect the van to be on the move thus they won't alert us to movement. This means that we don't need to notify them if we are on a ferry etc., Alan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page