Carrying a scooter in a garage - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 13-01-2010, 23:45

Personal Aire
Scooter

Its all down to moments.
We have a 110cc Bike in our 316 Garage and together with all of the other parefenalia ( Chairs, Microwave, Bravoska, Model Boat & Planes etc etc ) we are still well within the rear axle loading.
Surely the manufacturer should tell you the load capacity of the Garage. After all there is little point having a great big cupboard if you can't fill it.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-01-2010, 09:07

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Be careful with your calculations. As Gaspode rightly said you have to consider the overhang but not just because of the effect on the front stearing. The length of the overhang impacts on the "real" weight over the rear axle. So if the scooter weighs say 100KG but its positioned one metre behind the axle then its real weight will be more, probably 150kg. Im probably not explaining it very well so here is a really good calculator.

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/fe...ding-back.html

Its designed to calaculate if you can put a scooter rack on but should be helpful for you also.

I went through all this when we got the Kontiiki as a scooter was crucial for us. It has been the best addition by a country mile so I hope you can do it. We pile as much stuff in the Luton as possible to compensate the weight on the back but to be honest I dont notice any difference in handling with or without the scooter on. Whether thats to do with the low Alko Chassis or the 7,5 metre length of the van I dont know.

We have a Peugeot Speedfight II 100cc which is only 95KG, (see Avatar pic to left with Mrs D sat on it) its a 2 stroke and goes like the clappers! Some of the lardy 125's can weigh quite a bit so try and get something under 100KG if possible.

Good luck
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-01-2010, 09:56

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
The garage max weight limit in my Chausson which is also 3500kg MGW is 250kg. I suspect that the OP's limit is similar. I thinks that you can either fill that big area with light things or use it as a garage and carry a scooter plus a few bits.

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-01-2010, 13:25

Afternoon all,

So what is the best weight / power for a scooter.?

norm
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-01-2010, 13:38 Thread Starter

I will be looking for something like a yamaha vity 125 cc which has a weight of 110kg and I've now discovered I can carry upto 150kg

Wayne
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-01-2010, 13:55

Thanks for the link barryd

Confirmed my suspicions that a 250kg noseweight on my vans towbar (the max recommended) is significantly increased by my 2 metre overhang. It robs 402kg from my rear axle payload!
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-01-2010, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorf
You really need to take your van (loaded a for a normal trip out) to your local weighbridge. Get them to check the rear axle load then subtract this from your maximum rear axle weight allowed. You should find this on a metal plate somewhere on the van.
This figure will tell you if what weight of scooter (if any) you can carry.

Trevor
I would still do as "recommended" by others & Trevorf.

Go to a weight-bridge and see, despite the 150Kg capacity, that you still HAVE 150Kgs available after loading the motorhome with water/gas, clothes, bedding etc

You may have to clear-out some items !!

Enjoy.

Trev
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-01-2010, 16:08

Personal Aire
Scooter

I am a firm believer when it comes to motorbikes than the bigger ( HP ) the better. I would love to be able to get a 1200 BMW in my Van sadly the largest it can contain is 110cc.
Currently I have no desire to fit a trailer and thus restrict my maximum speed so compromise is necessary.

I do of course kid myself when riding arround Provence or Switzerland that I woiuldn't want to exeed 50 even if on a BMW.

I know its not true tho! having ridden bikes arround the continent for years and a big bike in the Alps or Pecos mountains is a fantastic experience.

Steve
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-01-2010, 17:02

My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne 696g
Personal Aire
Re: Carrying a scooter in a garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanny55
I have a Phantom Geist RG on a Merc 316CL Sprinter, and would like to carry a scooter and it would be good to hear from anyone who has done the same. My main concern is the weight limit. Thanks
Hi Phanny 55,

We used to put our Piaggio Fly 125cc in our garage. As we were limited to 150kg in the garage we had to put some items over the front axle to get the right balance

This was fine until we started to use Aires and Stellplatz for one night stops. Things got too crammped. The other issue was that it became too much of a chore getting it in and out.

We now pull it behind on a trailer and having just returned from 3 months in Germany this is by far the best way to do it IMHO

Hope this helps

Dean

Fulltiming since 2009
One life, live it!
If you donīt like your neighbours, move on!

http://www.deanandangela.co.uk
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-01-2010, 17:17

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
I suppose this is the advantage of having a rack as A. Its easy to get on and off (1-2 min) and B. Doesnt take any space, dont need a big garage so you can still have a rear lounge. Drawback being your bikes even further away from the rear wheels increasing the real weight on the back. Doesnt half get mucky as well in this weather!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page