Caravan OR Motorhome - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 16-02-2010, 00:13 Thread Starter

Caravan OR Motorhome

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice.

My wife and I and our two girls are caught between whether to buy a touring caravan or a motor home. We are both teachers and will have 8 weeks holidays in the Summer so we'll be using whatever we buy to go to the continent.

We are unsure about whether to spend the big money to buy a motorhome or go for the cheaper option and get a good caravan.

Any ideas what we should do?

Thanks
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 16-02-2010, 00:22

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF
Hi Kevin

Welcome to MHF.

I can't advise you as we were new to motorhoming 2 years ago but have never had a caravan. Lots of other members here were previously caravanners and will no doubt be along soon with their advice and opinions.

Chris
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 16-02-2010, 01:25

Hi,

I've never owned a caravan before and will collect my first motorhome this weekend but I've read so much during my research that I can probably give some advice. No doubt more will follow from other members soon.

In Europe you have more choice about where to stay if you have a motorhome, for example cheap Aries in France. However if you are travelling with kids I'm guessing you will be looking to stay on traditional campsites perhaps with swimming pools or things for kids to do? If this is the case then a caravan might work well too.

The general viewpoint is that motorhomes are more suited if you want to travel from place to place perhaps only stopping at each place a few nights whereas a caravan works well if you plan to spend longer periods in one location.

You also need to think about the size of motorhome you need. If you go for a very large one they can naturally be difficult to drive through narrow streets. Some people tow a small car behind the motorhome but you need to decide how you might get to places you want to visit from the campsite. A possible advantage of the caravan in this respect is you can leave the caravan at the site and still visit places using the tow car. It's something I've had to consider but as I will be travelling alone I've decided to take a pedal bike with me for visiting places close to sites where the motorhome won't fit. You could look at taking 4 bikes perhaps?

Once you decide between a caravan and a motorhome you will still have to work out which model to go for. It's no easy task but should you decide to go for a motorhome this forum will provide you lots of answers to any questions you might have.

Gary

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 16-02-2010, 06:16

Send a message via MSN to DiscoDave
if you plan to go the continent i would go right in for a motorhome, they are much more used to motorhomes over there so the facilities are heared up for us. lots of places to stay for little or no fee. Have a look for the aires book, yu can't stay on these with a caravan!

welcome to mhf!
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 16-02-2010, 06:19

Hi there,

I think Garry's advice is excellent and I can only reiterate his words.

Both outfits have their plusses and minuses and maybe a good idea would be to sit down as a family and discuss what you all want out of camping and travel etc. Draw up a list for both a caravan and a motorhome and jot down all the advantages/disadvantages of having one or the other! Once you have drawn up a list, then compare the two! Whichever seems to be coming out tops might be the way to go?

Good luck and whichever outfit you decide upon I just know you will love the lifestyle. Be warned ... this caravanning and motorhoming lark is highly addicitive, as is this forum!!!!

Have fun and keep us all informed of your decisions!

Sue
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 16-02-2010, 07:14

Hi

For my money, Europe is superb for Motorhomes and a long drag with a caravan.

England and Wales is generally set up better for caravans. ( as we prefer the motorhome this tends to make us gravitate to France

We owned a caravan for several years, we always wanted a motorhome but you do need the time to be able to use it. It is frustrating to have had a good summer in MH and then watch it getting cold and green on the drive for the rest of the year

Hope you have a lovely time.
Jon
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 16-02-2010, 07:21

Is your current car up to towing?

Do you have space to store ?

Caravans offer better value,but are not as easy to just get up and go.

Travelling speed is a lot slower.

will you use it at weekends or just hols ?
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 16-02-2010, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerG
Clipped The general viewpoint is that motorhomes are more suited if you want to travel from place to place perhaps only stopping at each place a few nights whereas a caravan works well if you plan to spend longer periods in one location.
Good advice

A lot of people at some stage of their lives get a big motorhome than just go to sites for a week or so at a time. They then find that they need a small car to tow or a scooter just so they can visit places. Their motorhome being to big to move about much. I often think that those people need a caravan and car instead.

PS I've decided to put a link to my competition on every thread I post to >Here it is<
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 16-02-2010, 07:28

Re: Caravan OR Motorhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevtr1
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice.

My wife and I and our two girls are caught between whether to buy a touring caravan or a motor home. We are both teachers and will have 8 weeks holidays in the Summer so we'll be using whatever we buy to go to the continent.

We are unsure about whether to spend the big money to buy a motorhome or go for the cheaper option and get a good caravan.

Any ideas what we should do?

Thanks
Kevin
Good Morning Kevin.
The wife and I, have been caravaning for over 30 years, and the last 11 years we have had a motorhome.
When our lads where young we had a caravan would I have changed that for a motorhome then I have to say no. My thoughts are this you are better with a caravan when you have kids, because when you are on site you still have your car to runn around in, and a caravan gives you more room, to sleep and eat in, and the kids love doing there little jobs to help getting it set up.
My big tip is join one of the big clubs, ie. the caravan club or the camping and caravan club, both are good, we have been in them both, but we like the camping and caravan club.
As I have said we now have a moterhome which we love, now we don't have to tow the kids around with us.
Its very rare we go on a site, the wife and I just move around to where suits us, the only time we do go on a site is when we go to weekend meets with the club to meet up with friends.
A motorhome is a lot of money to be sitting there, to get the most out of it, it has to be used a lot.
Hope this helps, but no matter which one you go for you will enjoy, its a great life, and you meet some very nice people who will help you lots, and your kids will have lots of fun.
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 16-02-2010, 07:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonegood
we always wanted a motorhome but you do need the time to be able to use it. It is frustrating to have had a good summer in MH and then watch it getting cold and green on the drive for the rest of the year
Hi Kevin,

It's all been good advice so far, however, Jon above has hit a very important nail on the head, and as a school teacher, that may be a problem outside school holidays.

We tugged for 16 years, and for us on a budget with a young daughter, it was ideal. We always intended to go across the channel, but never did.
When we got fed up pitching and un-pitching in the horrible British weather, we took up Motorhoming, and went to France within the first 12 months of ownership.

If weekends are sometimes taken up with lesson prep and marking, I'd be going down the caravan route, but if you are guaranteed at least two full weekends away every month, plus school holidays, I'd go for the MH.

HTH,

All the best,

Jock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page