Caravaning in Europe and stopping at Aires - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 15:34

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc
There are also different types of Aire de Camping-car.

At many of these the use of awnings, chairs etc is the norm. A town centre aire may be different but you cannot tar all aires with the same brush. In addition there is no general rule against parking a car and getting a table and chairs out to have a lunchtime repose.
Below is a photo of the Aire de Camping Car at Neris le Bain.
Have a read of the notices which are usually displayed in or near the aire and I strongly suspect that you will find that the use of "materiels de camping est interdit"

The local rules as set down by the Marie preclude the act of camping but only allow the parking of a camping car.

These rules are, of course, only written in French and usually quote local bye-law numbers.

However, the enforcement of said laws seems to vary markedly and in many cases there will not be any check on what people are doing so using awnings, tables, barbecues etc. may well be ignored......

The sign that is displayed at Biscarosse Plage is attached below...... it is partially in (poor) English and the contents are quite typical IMO .......

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rules_of_aire_at_biscarosse_plage_176.jpg (208.3 KB, 0 views)

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 19:45

Re: Caravaning in Europe and stopping at Aires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lys
Hello

Can anyone tell me if caravans can stop overnight in aires. Going to Europe (Italy) through France, Belgium etc and wondered if we'll be able to stop off overnight on route?

Lys
Hi Lys,
yes, on several aires and Stellplätze in F, B, Ger , Aus and Italy caravans (cars and trailers) are allowed as well.
E.g. see Penguins picture. There is stated in german: "Parkplatz für Campingwagen und Wohnmobile", that means: parking place for caravans and mobilhomes. But the announcements/translations sometimes are a little bit unprecise.
About 30% of the aires/Stellplätze are allowed for both i.a.w. my book "Bordatlas", some in F and B, main portion in Germany. But only for overnight stops and not for camping.

The only problem is to find both types described in a guide or book. I don´t know, if there are english guides/books, which point out aires for mh and caravans simultaneously. I take for planning the german guide "Bordatlas" , however it is only in german. This books details very well, whether the place is for mh only or for mh and caravans.

In case you need a specific information for tour planning, give me a note.

Regards
Bernd
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 19:47

My Motorhome: Hymer B584
We've stayed at 60+ aires and only seen a caravan once, that was at Wissant yesterday. I would not plan a caravan holiday using aires.

fatimasaysell.com is Mrs Adonisito's interesting blog!

Link to our album

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 20:24

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Re: Caravaning in Europe and stopping at Aires

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtwo
E.g. see Penguins picture. There is stated in german: "Parkplatz für Campingwagen und Wohnmobile", that means: parking place for caravans and mobilhomes. But the announcements/translations sometimes are a little bit unprecise.

Bernd
The French and English and Spanish translations of the regulations that I posted are VERY clear;

Motorhomes ONLY

the German is slightly more unclear according to;

http://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/wohnmobil

it primarily means motorhome, even in German but is used for camper / motor caravan / motorhome according to that dictionary, the equivalent in the USA would be an RV or recreational vehicle.

I genuinely believe therefore that to translate the German as "Caravan" would not be correct........

I think the literal translation is "mobile home"

The byelaws are very clear that only "campingcars" are allowed on that site and many, many others in France where very similar laws apply (and in Spain from our experience).....

I believe the English - German translation of caravan is " die Karawane"

but am happy to be proved wrong - I suspect that the interpretation that caravans are allowed on such aires is a mistranslation, perhaps initiated by the French person requesting the sign, but I suspect the meaning is VERY clearly understood by the French authority that produced the rules and it will NOT be open to interpretation if challenged.....

Dave -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg selected_rules_of_biscarosse_plage_165.jpg (85.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg wohnmobil_translation_184.jpg (97.4 KB, 0 views)

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 21:55

My Motorhome: Hymer B504 on Ducato 2.8jtd
Personal Aire
Interesting to note, I've just had a quick scan through the France section of my 2011 Bordatlas and it lists about 30 aires that specifically allow caravans overnight.

Pete
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 22:27

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,018 Times in 883 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc
There are also different types of Aire de Camping-car.

At many of these the use of awnings, chairs etc is the norm. A town centre aire may be different but you cannot tar all aires with the same brush. In addition there is no general rule against parking a car and getting a table and chairs out to have a lunchtime repose.
Below is a photo of the Aire de Camping Car at Neris le Bain.
Have a read of the notices which are usually displayed in or near the aire and I strongly suspect that you will find that the use of "materiels de camping est interdit"

The local rules as set down by the Marie preclude the act of camping but only allow the parking of a camping car.

These rules are, of course, only written in French and usually quote local bye-law numbers.

However, the enforcement of said laws seems to vary markedly and in many cases there will not be any check on what people are doing so using awnings, tables, barbecues etc. may well be ignored......

The sign that is displayed at Biscarosse Plage is attached below...... it is partially in (poor) English and the contents are quite typical IMO .......

Dave
Had a scoot round that Aire in November Dave and it was busy. Weather still good but It isn't a nice Aire. Plenty of tables and chairs out but definitlely not my cup of tea. Miles from the town and no views but not far from the beach which is where I got smashed to bits surfing. The occupants of the Aire however didn't look like they would make the hike to the beach never mind tackle the waves. I often fail to understand why some people stay on these Aires when there is no real attraction.

sorry off topic!

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 22:43

Hi Dave.....nice discussion,

German is so easy....all types of of motorhomes, motor caravans, RVs are simply called "Wohnmobil", and all what is doing camping is a "Camper"..the person or the car regardless of type and sex....oh my God, is this politically correct?

And i guess the german sentence on the sign is not really matching with the english and spanish sentences.
The german word "Campingwagen" is an older expression for the "camping trailer towed by a car". Nowadays everybody in Germany uses the word "Wohnwagen" or "Caravan" for the "trailer thing".
E.g. look at the famous exhibition in Düsseldorf, the "Caravan Salon". By the way this has nothing to do with "Karawane". Only the visitors build up a long "Karawane" to visit the exhibition, traffic jam all around, hihi.
And so reading the aire sign as a German it is absolutely clear for me, i would go in with car and trailer-caravan (and with motorhome too). Hope not only Germans will be allowed to drive in with trailers on french aires nowadays....
And the word "mobile home" in Germany is used for transportable mobile houses on weels....american way of life on "Campingplatz".

Anyway, it does not really matter cause the question was "if caravans can stop overnight in aires".
And i still think....i.a.w. my "Bordatlas" (hope this is not a bad trick by the author)....that several aires in F, B, Ger etc. can be used with caravans as well. And the number is not too small so with a good planning it can be used for overnight stops easily.
Not many people with caravans do use the aires, I aggree, and in Germany often there is a big discussion about that...motorhomers versus caravaners. However, when the owner allows, all discussion is useless.
So i think Europe needs more stadardization concerning translations on "aire signs", haha.

Kind regards and "Freedom for motorhomers and caravaners"
Bernd
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 00:19

One of the nicest aires which we stayed on was at the Quai in Fecamp: lovely views over the inner harbour, convenient for the town, not far to the beach, no charge, unlimited stays. The caravan parked next to us, with its plastic table and chairs, and supply of wood for heating, was clearly making good use of that facility.

The occupants were French, quite loud with a penchant for a few bottles of wine at lunch time. Sometimes they were visited by a car but it didn't have a tow-ball.

My understanding was always that it should be camping cars only but I wasn't going to make a fuss - Gordon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page