Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Website Guides (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/77-website-guides/)
-   -   Forum rules and etiquette (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/77-website-guides/1268-forum-rules-etiquette.html)

nukeadmin 18-03-2004 12:40

Forum rules and etiquette

In any social interaction, especially online the following rules of etiquette will lead to a more enjoyable and efficient message means.

There is a nickname for this when used online, "Netiquette!"

Remember the people on the Forum are real humans with real feelings!
Even though you are using a computer to communicate, don't forget that other people are on the receiving end. Avoid personal attacks. Don't post in haste try not to say anything to others that you would not say to them in a room full of people. Remember that you are playing an important role in building our online community and we all want this community to be an informative, fun and friendly place.

Be Brief
Most people who come to this forum do not have time to read long messages and will end up scanning through long posts. Choose your words carefully to get your question or message across.

Your message reflects on you
Your posts reflect on your personality and allow others to know who you are. What you say and how you say it will help you get the assistance you need. Take time to post your message making sure that you will be clearly understood.

Use descriptive Subject headings in your posts
The subject line of your message is there to tell people what your message is about; it helps them to decide whether or not they want to read it. So, use the subject line.

Stay on topic
Post your messages in the appropriate Thread. By reading a number of the messages before posting one yourself, you will be able to get a sense of the ongoing themes of discussion in that thread.

Be careful when using humor
Remember that what you type in a post may not always be interpreted the same way. Some people may be easily offended by wise-cracks. Use emoticons to convey the sense of humor. No ethnic, racial, sexist or otherwise offensive humour will be tolerated.

Do not quote the entire message you are replying to.
Summarize your posts by using selected sentences or quotes from a previous post you are responding to. This will help keep forum messages brief, to the point and easy to read and understand.

Show your appreciation!
If you receive responses to your question, give back and let people know you appreciate their help. Likewise, be a "giver" as well as a "taker" in this online community. If you have good and valuable information to share, please do so in the appropriate thread or start a new one if needed.

Cite appropriate references
If you are using facts to support a post you make, state where they came from. This will help others know where to go for follow-up. Give credit where credit is due.

DO NOT POST A MESSAGE IN ALL CAPS!
This is considered shouting. If you feel the need to emphasize something use caps on certain words or use *asterisks* to surround your message. This will get your point across politely.

Removal of Messages
The forum administrators reserve the right to remove any post that does not adhere to the purpose of the Motorhomefacts website. This includes but is not limited to messages that contains bad language, accusations, inappropriate images, blatant advertising or other information which is not permitted.

spykal 21-12-2004 18:11

Hi all

I cannot believe that Nuke's thread has had only 161 views since March 2004, there are now 4329 members and only 161 of them have read this sticky post.

Anyway my reply will push it into todays list and maybe someone else can keep it there.

If you would like to enjoy a jokey look at Forum etiquette then click on the link below (it may take a while for those on dial up, but very funny):

WARNING! Contains some naughty words which we've all heard before.

http://uploads.ungrounded.net/188000/188612_Posting.swf <<<click here...turn up your volume its a flash movie!

Mike

sugarplum 22-12-2004 16:41

Hi Mike

Just watched the posting thingy.....very good, don't know where you find them all. Actually it's the first time I've read this sticky!!!

Won't be reading anything on this site now for a couple of weeks, off in a few minutes time..Yippee :lol:

Merry whatsit :reindeer: ....sugarplum

spykal 08-04-2005 01:43

Hi all

As we seem to have another thousand or so new members I thought it time to push this thread back into todays posts ..........

Mike

SidT 08-04-2005 02:15

Like Sugarplum this is the first time I have seen it, don't know how I missed it.
I normally just look at "last posts since......."

Cheers Sid

Anonymous 08-04-2005 07:34

If these points were the ten commandants...I'm doomed to fire and damnation . 8O

We need a site priest where sins can be attoned... :dontknow:

Anonymous 08-04-2005 08:31

Bless you my child [-o<

Anonymous 08-04-2005 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOggies
Bless you my child [-o<

Thank you father cos I have sinned. I will say ten Halle Berrys.

Anonymous 08-04-2005 08:51

I would love 1 Halle Berry, but don't tell the wife :-$

oops, looks like we are straying off the thread :oops:

spykal 08-04-2005 12:55

Re: Forum rules and etiquette

Quote:

Originally Posted by nukeadmin

Your message reflects on you
Your posts reflect on your personality and allow others to know who you are. What you say and how you say it will help you get the assistance you need. Take time to post your message making sure that you will be clearly understood.

Hi all

Just bumping this to the top, but also pointing out this quote which, I think, is to my mind is most important. I have formed a picture in my mind of most of the regulars on the forum, no doubt you will have too. There are the funny, the fainthearted, the unsure, the assertive, the inspirational, the argumentative, the comfrontational and the downright rude.

How do you think you come over to your readers :?:

Mike

HelenB 08-04-2005 13:29

Now that would be informative Mike if you cared to share your mind pictures :lol:

Only joking honest :lol:

From Helen (The stirrer)

Anonymous 08-04-2005 13:31

I see myself as a twit. Incidently, how does one only quote a line of text in line with our written constitution. I can only do the whole lot.

HelenB 08-04-2005 13:46

After first opening the quote facility,delete the text you do not want using your keyboard delete, making sure you still have the quote command start and finnish, and job done :wink:

spykal 08-04-2005 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by HelenB
After first opening the quote facility,delete the text you do not want using your keyboard delete, making sure you still have the quote command start and finnish

Then click on PREVIEW to make sure you have got it right before clicking SUBMIT....odds on it will need a second go to get it right....it does for me anyway :lol:

Give it a go now...quote these words only..... Eureka i've got it!

Mike

chrisandee 08-04-2005 14:45

8)

Anonymous 08-04-2005 14:52

Thanks for that although I did actually know that. I thought you could e.g. highlight the text and then click on quote or something. Nukey seems to be able to whistle through quotes so I am wondering if there is a secret.

HelenB 08-04-2005 15:04

Well you can always highlight the text after selecting quote and do a block delete, how fast do you want :roll:

spykal 08-04-2005 15:18

Re: Forum rules and etiquette

Quote:

Originally Posted by nukeadmin
Stay on topic
Post your messages in the appropriate Thread. By reading a number of the messages before posting one yourself, you will be able to get a sense of the ongoing themes of discussion in that thread.

"Ay up" we have broken this commandment...shame on us :lol:

Mike

HelenB 08-04-2005 15:24

Yes I know Mike. was going to spit the posts off, but then I thought at least these extraneous posts are keeping the thread to the top and hopefully more people will see and read and you never know learn a thing or three :wink:

So I decided to leave it for today and split it tommorow if I don't get lost at reservoir on my first days sailing course, and then move it into general

Am I forgiven :lol:

Anonymous 08-04-2005 17:53

I'm sorry but I did "sense the discussion by reading through" Nukeys post and my questions directly refer to his message - in a round about sort of way using surreal thoughts and brain wave tranference. Thus, I beg to differ. :roll:

Super 10-04-2005 23:03

Hi All,
New member, will try and be good.
Hope this help's.
:oops:

Pudsey_Bear 27-08-2016 13:09

Time for an airing methinks.

Penquin 27-08-2016 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev_n_Liz (Post 2213393)
Time for an airing methinks.

airing yes, but until the Local UK based Admin actually starts to do anything about abusive and aggressive posts it is a waste of time.......

This page still exists but is ignored by some people......

Dave

barryd 27-08-2016 13:36

Geroff Kev you knob! This is from 2004 which is the olden days. The Internet and world have moved on. Now everyone is a troll and bashing each other online has become the new national sport. :D

Sadly I can't be horrid to Gemmy anymore as he is now my new Bessie mate. :D

cabby 27-08-2016 13:49

Are there any more pre 2005 threads.there should be about 2 years worth, which unfortunately was lost in the crash.Might even be some from us oldies that are still clinging on.

cabby

GEMMY 27-08-2016 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by barryd (Post 2213449)
Geroff Kev you knob! This is from 2004 which is the olden days. The Internet and world have moved on. Now everyone is a troll and bashing each other online has become the new national sport. :D

Yes you can......................you know you want to :wink2:

tony

Pudsey_Bear 27-08-2016 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by barryd (Post 2213449)

Some more here >:) >:)

https://www.motorhomefacts.com/forums-rules.html#1

We all need rules, none of us are above treating each other civilly, if you can't treat others properly don't be surprised if you get the same treatment back.

Can't find any from VS, but they'll be there somewhere, and just because they have been lack doesn't mean the can't/won't enforce them.

gaspode 27-08-2016 16:37

Have a read of this lot Kev:
http://www.verticalscope.com/aboutus...rhomefacts.com

At least it'll keep you quiet for a while. :grin2::grin2::grin2:

Pudsey_Bear 27-08-2016 16:41

Sir you misjudge me, only pudding shall keep me quiet, anyhoo tis not I who is need of the forum rules, but others who are slowly circling the proverbial forum drain with their attitude to others.

Pudsey_Bear 27-08-2016 16:45

This be the main one I think, as I and many others are not being allowed to enjoy the forum due to the actions of others, so get grip you lot wind your necks in and behave like adults, I bet your other halves aren't reading all this stuff.

You may not:

Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Web Site.

Penquin 27-08-2016 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspode (Post 2213713)
Have a read of this lot Kev:
http://www.verticalscope.com/aboutus...rhomefacts.com

At least it'll keep you quiet for a while. :grin2::grin2::grin2:

GOSH....

I wonder how many lawyers were burned out writing that lot....

what I fink it says is "be nice" in legal terms.... and several places.....

and they reserve a great many rights (but no lefts AFAIK >:):nerd:)

Thanks Ken, and to think Nuke wrote his selection on a Saturday night at the pub on the back of a used stamp......

My estimation of him has gone up markedly........ (I'm not saying it has reached zero yet but...... :wink2:)

Dave

barryd 27-08-2016 17:52

I dont think we all need rules Kev. Never been one to follow rules, much more fun breaking them.

If people are driven away from forums because of a few members having robust debates perhaps forum life is not for them in 2016. Just sayin. :D

Just dont deliberately go out of your way to personally attack someone and you should be alright.

jo662 27-08-2016 18:18

Whats happened now,what have I missed?:nerd:

erneboy 27-08-2016 18:18

Well my goodness what with the repeated casts of the fly it's hard not to think that Kev is fishing and hoping to prompt a reaction.

Zebedee 27-08-2016 18:32

Relax Alan - he'll never be as good at it as you!! :grin2:

barryd 27-08-2016 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jo662 (Post 2213897)
Whats happened now,what have I missed?:nerd:

Nothing! Kev posted some rules from the second World war or sumfink. :D

Im off to make some noise and get lashed. :D

jo662 27-08-2016 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by barryd (Post 2213945)
Nothing! Kev posted some rules from the second World war or sumfink. :D

Im off to make some noise and get lashed. :D

Well its lashing down here so Im half way there!>:)>:)

aldra 27-08-2016 19:49

Well I haven't got a clue what your talking about

Sandra

Penquin 27-08-2016 20:07

Sandra, just let them make some noise and they will totally there and totally happy, what more could anyone ask... Barry has simple thoughts; "Where's the next Leffe?" and "Bu99er, have I broken it?"

Dave

aldra 27-08-2016 20:25

Dave this is my everlasting toy boy you are talking about

I'm in love

Of course I'll not last as long as long as him

My wine equals his leffie

My age , forget it,but his age is the same as my son

We are soul mates

Forever and a day

Ok maybe forget the day

Just go with the forever

Sandra