User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Teodor

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-01-2021, 09:50 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Knaus 650 MG vs 658 LG

Hello all,

If someone that knows the Knaus lineup, can you explain what the differences are between these 2? I'm having a hard time figuring this out. It looks to me like 650 MG is not really a valid model, they both look the same. And what does the MG and LG stand for, medium garage and large garage?

Also why do some models of both in the years 2004,2005,2006 have a different maximum weight. (3500,3850,4000). Is their payload different and to what models do what payload is?

Thanks all for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-01-2021, 12:38

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

I know nothing about Knaus but someone will probably be able to help.
However, the current Knaus 650 is built on a Fiat chassis and this is available for other marques in 3 different formats: 3500kg for those who don't have C1 on their licence; 3650kg which will be an uprated version (possibly bigger wheels) to give an increased payload; 4200kg which will be on Fiat's "heavy chassis".

IF you don't know much about licences or payload calculations please ask.

HTH - Gordon
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-01-2021, 12:42 Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm just curious what years are what payloads and maximum weight, there is just not enough information online.. I would prefer 3500 ofc, so I don't have to have a C1, but this is what I'm trying to find out. I do not beleive the website that sell these campers, they all say different numbers. Just wanted to know if someone with this type of Knaus camper knows this stuff. Let's wait and see.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-01-2021, 13:33

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Hi Teodor and welcome.

For 2nd-hand MHs you need to look at each van individually because whatever it started off as, it may well have been up-rated by previous owners.

Also, payload is a VERY individual thing as it will depend not only on the max vehicle weight but also on how many bits n bobs people have added - an extra battery is heavy, as is an awning. You can only be sure by getting the vehicle weighed, empty, at a weighbridge (specifically don't trust anything a salesman tells you.)

So fing the MH you're interested in then ask the questions of that particular vehicle.

Jean
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-01-2021, 13:36

This sounds like you are thinking about getting a motorhome and that you are considering this Knauss model. IF you have an actual vehicle in mind, just ask what it says on the VIN plate: this will give you MAXIMUM authorised mass [3500, 3650, 4200??] and also MAXIMUM axle loads. It will not tell you what they currently are: ask the vendor for a weighbridge certificate along with a description of how much stuff is in the van (including fuel, water, passengers, food, clothing, TV, bike rack etc). That will then give you an indication of whether it is suitable for your purposes (how many adults/children you will carry, their clothing and food requirements, etc).

C1 can be added to your licence (at a cost in and time). Payload is something which may be changed (at a cost of and time). Getting both things correct is important in terms of your legality and your insurance cover!

Gordon
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-01-2021, 15:49
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
You only need to post in one section as two threads simple confuse matters...and members!
Never the less....Welcome.

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-01-2021, 16:41 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJB View Post
You only need to post in one section as two threads simple confuse matters...and members!
Never the less....Welcome.
Hello EJB,

Yes sorry for that. This was my first thread but then I saw the designated section for "Knaus" and posted there, forgot to delete this one. I can do it now if you don't beat me to it

Thanks!
raynipper likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-01-2021, 16:49 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all the information.

I was interested in the payload, not that I will go over the maximum limit for the vehicle, legally by law. But in fact I will not put too much load on the suspension and axels. Here where I live, I'm not too worried about the law, nobody will weight you.

For the license I agree, C1 can be added at a cost and time.

I was just confused, I have picked this vehicle the Knaus 658 LG, but different years state in their offers different max weight and payloads. I guess this is because maybe different year production are on a slightly different Ducato chassis, so if someone was super informative about this particular model, to shed some light.

Thanks again for you guys info, always helpful!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-01-2021, 17:40

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
Not just Knauss but most EU made vans will be offered at differing capacity weights.
Basically the base vehicle (usually one of the Sevel based ones) will be produced ex factory with a declared allowable maximum weight, which has been decided by its construction and fitted equipment.
When the converter completes the build they will decide what to "plate" the finished product at, for many this will be some way below their allowable weight i.e. 3500Kgs to make them more desirable to a bigger customer base because of licence restrictions.
The actual vehicle could be legally plated at up to the maximum the original VIN plate showed, manufacturers VIN will always override the original.

Silly perhaps, but that's the way it is.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page