Screwing rails inside garage - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 4 Post By Pudsey_Bear

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 14:27 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Knaus Skywave
Screwing rails inside garage

Hi all

I recently bought two sets of rails for the garage. One is a short length set, with low cargo weight, each rail has very frequent holes for screwing in place, so I figure that I use the screws provided and some whatever they're called plastic inserts which expand in the holes - correct?

The other is a heavy, 2M rail, for heavy cargo weight. If does not come with screws and the drilled holes on the rails are pretty large. What do I do to secure these?

Thanks for any advice!

Martyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 16:57

My Motorhome: Carthago
It will depend on what you are fixing to.
If the garage floor, does it have an aluminium covering?

Short light one, if the panel you are fixing to is substantial enough you will be OK with just screws, however plastic plugs are unlikely to be suitable as most vans panels are of sandwich construction, with a thin light inner skin of plywood with a foam filler and then thicker plywood often with an added aluminium skin, the foam infill will offer no resistance to the plug as it expands with the screw.

For the heavy one, probably the best suggestion will be drill through the floor at the hole spacing on the rail and use stainless nut and bolt of correct size and length, using large outside diameter washers underneath.

John
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 17:08

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post

Short light one, if the panel you are fixing to is substantial enough you will be OK with just screws, however plastic plugs are unlikely to be suitable as most vans panels are of sandwich construction, with a thin light inner skin of plywood with a foam filler and then thicker plywood often with an added aluminium skin, the foam infill will offer no resistance to the plug as it expands with the screw.

For the heavy one, probably the best suggestion will be drill through the floor at the hole spacing on the rail and use stainless nut and bolt of correct size and length, using large outside diameter washers underneath.

And some good sealant.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 09:22 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post

The heavy rail will need to be wall mounted and from what you said, this might not be an option with the sandwich construction panels. The rail itself is very heavy!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, understanding is not putting it in a fruit salad
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 10:41

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,099 Times in 1,036 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
To screw to a van wall is not recommended at all, you can get around it though, get a length of planed timber, slight thicker than the the screw length, (screws lose a lot their strength f they pierce the other side) x 100-150mm drill and counter sink one hole every 100mm staggered top and bottom, ensuring all surfaces are clean and dry, put several beads of Stixall (4 ish @ builders merchants) along the entire length of the timber, then screw it to the wall, leave it for a few days for the Stixall to fully cure then screw the rail to the timber, this should be more than man enough to secure most things into the van.

If at all possible I'd fasten to the front wall of the garage rather than the back wall, acceleration forces in a MoHo, are much less than any possible braking or collision forces.

The above method is also sound if you need to fasten something like a Fiamma cycle rack or box to the outside rear wall of a MoHo too, assuming you can't find or trust questionable manufacturers strengthening points.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 12:35 Thread Starter

It's a bit strange as the Fiamma web site shows this image - this one I bought is the one she's holding.

However, so the other type I bought, they seem to have used your technique of wooden rails first

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, understanding is not putting it in a fruit salad

Last edited by Leffe NL; 10-12-2015 at 12:44.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 12:57

My Motorhome: Rapido 7090
Personal Aire
I have one of the types of rail shown uppermost in the first photo screwed to the garage wall in exactly the same place with self tapping screws into pre-drilled holes, size 12 I think. The other rail is bolted through the underside of the bed at the front end of the garage.
They only support long lightweight items in the top of the garage above everything else, eg, loft ladder, kayak paddles, thin screen cover, ski poles etc.
My van is a Rapido, the inner wall ply seems quite strong, the trick is to tighten fully but definitely not to overtighten.

Kev

Canoe & Kayak manufacturer/retailer
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 14:33

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
as said, it's best to screw the rails to some timber by you really don't need to screw the timber to the wall - use something like Sikaflex which will hold the timber solidly on the rear wall without the need to screw. I've done that in mine and the timber hasn't moved at all.

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page