User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By bognormike
  • 2 Post By Morphology

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 11:20 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Unhappy No power sun ti

Hi I have had my sun Ti in storage and all the batteries went flat, I have replace the main battery but I am now not getting any of the lights working etc in the van, even when I am plugged into the mains the electrics are not working. I have checked the fuses and they seem to be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 12:11

Which year? Ours is an '06 Sun Ti on a Renault Master chassis, so these comments only apply to this model. I had various problems with ours when I first got it - a mix of not knowing how to isolate stuff and (I think) old knackered batteries. I replaced both the engine and leisure batteries and have had no problems since.

First off, make sure the big red keyswitch next to the Calira charger under the bench seat in the ON position, and that the main on/off switch and aux switches on the control panel by the door are all ON.

Are you getting any charging lights on the Control Panel?

If not, then the Calira chargers (under the bench seat) have been known to pack up - you should be able to check whether it's working using a multimeter.

There are schematics of the Calira connections on my website here: http://www.morphology.co.uk/knaus if you're no good with a Multimeter, you may have to call on an Auto Electrician to help you out.

If the Calira has blown (which I sincerely hope it hasn't), then they can be a bit expensive to replace, though there is a place in Wales that will repair them: http://www.atlanticmotorhomeservices.co.uk/ or sell you a reconditioned one.

When I let my leisure battery go flat, when I started the engine, it blew a big 40A inline fuse that is located next to the Engine battery under the access panel between the cab seats. That took me a while to locate!

Our leisure and engine batteries go flat in a couple of weeks even if I try to ensure nothing is drawing power - I think the immobiliser runs it flat all by itself - so now I keep it permanently hooked up to the mains (which I can do, as it's on my drive, though this may be more difficult if yours is in storage). This doesn't seem to have affected the leisure batteries, as the Calira seems to be one of those so-called "intelligent" chargers which cycles the leisure battery without cooking it.

You may need to consider adding solar panels to keep the batteries topped up whilst in storage if mains hook-up isn't an option.

It is also worth posting your question to the Knaus Owners Club forum: www.knausowners.com there's a wealth of knowledge on there.

Morph

There are only 10 different types of people: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 13:08

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
you say the fuses are ok; do you have a trip fuse on the mains input? If nothing is working this is the most likely. Check that the fridge is not working, and the mains sockets, these work directly from the mains input; the lights work from the leisure battery, and if that's shot you'll probably not get any power to them.

As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Felpham.

I don't feed trolls!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 13:25 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphology View Post
Which year? Ours is an '06 Sun Ti on a Renault Master chassis, so these comments only apply to this model. I had various problems with ours when I first got it - a mix of not knowing how to isolate stuff and (I think) old knackered batteries. I replaced both the engine and leisure batteries and have had no problems since.

First off, make sure the big red keyswitch next to the Calira charger under the bench seat in the ON position, and that the main on/off switch and aux switches on the control panel by the door are all ON.

Are you getting any charging lights on the Control Panel?

If not, then the Calira chargers (under the bench seat) have been known to pack up - you should be able to check whether it's working using a multimeter.

There are schematics of the Calira connections on my website here: http://www.morphology.co.uk/knaus if you're no good with a Multimeter, you may have to call on an Auto Electrician to help you out.

If the Calira has blown (which I sincerely hope it hasn't), then they can be a bit expensive to replace, though there is a place in Wales that will repair them: http://www.atlanticmotorhomeservices.co.uk/ or sell you a reconditioned one.

When I let my leisure battery go flat, when I started the engine, it blew a big 40A inline fuse that is located next to the Engine battery under the access panel between the cab seats. That took me a while to locate!

Our leisure and engine batteries go flat in a couple of weeks even if I try to ensure nothing is drawing power - I think the immobiliser runs it flat all by itself - so now I keep it permanently hooked up to the mains (which I can do, as it's on my drive, though this may be more difficult if yours is in storage). This doesn't seem to have affected the leisure batteries, as the Calira seems to be one of those so-called "intelligent" chargers which cycles the leisure battery without cooking it.

You may need to consider adding solar panels to keep the batteries topped up whilst in storage if mains hook-up isn't an option.

It is also worth posting your question to the Knaus Owners Club forum: www.knausowners.com there's a wealth of knowledge on there.

Morph
HI THANKS FOR GETTING BACK

MY MOTOR HOME IS A 2005 ON A RENAULT MASTER 2.5 SAME CHARGER AS YOURS I THINK,

THE VAN IS NOW OUT OF STORAGE AND PLUGGED INTO THE MAINS NOW BUT NO LIGHTS OR sun roof,ETC WORKING WHEN CONECTED TO MAINS, IT DID WORK PROIOR TO STORAGE, I have INSTALLED A brand new battery but obviously the two leisure batteys are both probably knackered, however nothing working even when plugged into mains, I have checked all the fuses including the one on the main battery and they are all fine as I did initially have problems with the fuses blowing prior( so got the t shirt for that one) Obviously i do not want to replace the leisure batteries until I get this issue solved,

when I did put the van in storage I did take out all the leads on the red charger. My boyfriend is going to get a mains charger and try and check to make sure we have electric coming to the red box.

any other thoughts would be very welcome

regards
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 13:43 Thread Starter

Hi The sockets work and there is electric to the charger, theres a clicking on the red charger unit when I plug the main in and out, would I get lights working inside the cabin with two flat leisure batterys but with mains plugged in. Also no lights on main control panel next to door, could my problem simply be two new leisure bat treys.

regards
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 13:44

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
that sounds like it

As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Felpham.

I don't feed trolls!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 14:01

My Motorhome: Autotrail Dakota Super Lowline
Personal Aire
One thing to consider is that (if the batteries were well flat), when you plugged the mains in, the charger tried to supply a charging current well above the fuse rating. I don't know your van (or where the fuses may be) but I would think there would be at least one fuse (or maybe one for each battery) somewhere between the charger and the battery.

It could well be that, as Mike says, the batteries could be goosed but it would be well worth checking things out before spending out on new.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by philoaks View Post
One thing to consider is that (if the batteries were well flat), when you plugged the mains in, the charger tried to supply a charging current well above the fuse rating. I don't know your van (or where the fuses may be) but I would think there would be at least one fuse (or maybe one for each battery) somewhere between the charger and the battery.

It could well be that, as Mike says, the batteries could be goosed but it would be well worth checking things out before spending out on new.
Yes, there should be in-line fuses inside the leisure battery locker close to the +ve connection to the batteries.

If you can get an ordinary mains battery charger, disconnect the leisure batteries from the Calira and charge then up fully before reconnecting to the Calira. After fully charging, leave them disconnected overnight then check in the morning with a multimeter to make sure they are holding a charge - they should be 12.6v if fully charged. Anything less than 12.3v and they could well be knackered.

Quote:
would I get lights working inside the cabin with two flat leisure batterys but with mains plugged in. Also no lights on main control panel next to door, could my problem simply be two new leisure bat treys.
I fear this may point to the Calira not working - I believe it should maintain the 12v systems in the van even if the Leisure batteries are disconnected, as there are separate "consumer" and "charging" outputs. The Consumer circuit supplies the 12v systems in the van, and the charging circuit charges the leisure batteries.

Hopefully the Calira is simply shutting itself down because it cannot charge the leisure batteries.

There are only 10 different types of people: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 18:05 Thread Starter

thanks to everyone for there help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page