Getting access to underfloor voids - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 10:59 Thread Starter

Getting access to underfloor voids

This is a real long shot. I am replacing the Schaudt external temperature sensor in my Frankia i840BD. The sensor is screwed to the underside of the van beneath the omnistor step. The cable then runs vertically through the "void" and up the back of a wardrobe into the side of the Schaudt DT220 which sits above the side entrance. I have tried to access the void by removing a panel in the battery box which sits at the top of the entry step - no joy. I have removed most of the interior of the wardrobe and can see the wires disappearing into the void. Trouble is, I can't remove the floor of the wardrove as it has two triangular fillets glued to the floor and the wall which prevent me from lifting the wardrobe floor - impasse! Do I have to take the wardrobe off the wall - if so I think I will have to admit defeat.

Has anyone ever attempted this kind of thing and has views on how to get access to the hole cut into the van accomodation floor so I can thread the new wire through. I plan to splice it to the old wire rather than attempting to feed it into the Schaudt DT220. I attach a picture of the wardrobe floor and the step. The fillets are at the interface between the wardrobe wall and floor. The same fillets are used at the top of the wardrobe, and here they seem to have pinned the fillet in place

If I can't manage this, I can always cut the old cable outside the van and splice the new sensor in place, but in this position it will be open to the elements so will need plenty of protection.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg frankia step 2.jpeg (29.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpeg frankia wardrobe.jpeg (21.1 KB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 12:37

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I think I must be misunderstanding this sheds cos I'm thinking - unscrew the old sensor wiring and use that to pull new wiring along its path up to the Schaudt box?
erneboy, Ozzyjohn and JanHank like this.

Jean
The Following User Says Thank You to jiwawa For This Useful Post:
sheds (06-05-2020)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 17:59

My Motorhome: Autotrail Apache 700 lowline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
I think I must be misunderstanding this sheds cos I'm thinking - unscrew the old sensor wiring and use that to pull new wiring along its path up to the Schaudt box?
Good idea, that’s what sparkeys do. Only problem is if the old wire has been clipped/ fastened when the vehicle was manufactured.

Niidge
sheds likes this.

Never argue with a idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to nidge1 For This Useful Post:
sheds (06-05-2020)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 12:19 Thread Starter

I had resigned myself to using the pull-through method, but I know its a mess of stuff overlapping in the void and cable ties holding the wires in looms. Instead I found a very nice pair of fine paint scrapers which I used to pry the triangular fillets out without damaging the wardrobe. Floor of the wardrobe came up very easily and I could see that the clever Frankia people had left a large access hole into the void which they had covered with PVC flooring and Duck taped in place (no real idea why they bothered). So I can now access the wiring and put a neat splice in place to avoid more hours of fun getting to the Schaudt display. Luckily I have some cherry veneer that I can use to make new fillets that i will fix with nice accessible screws.

Thanks for the suggestion about pulling through. As it happens this would have been thwarted by the dreaded cable ties. Anyway - days of fun cleaning out years of accumulated dust from 9 summers parked in a dusty windy campsite in Greece. Cheers!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 15:38

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
hi sheds

it is surprising how the sand and dust finds its way under the floor into the void underneath

i have just repaired a rotten section in a hobby motorhome floor and i could not believe how much dustarry and grime was under it

i am pleased you sorted it but they dont make things easy

b
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 19:26

I have a frankia and cut out a panel out of each locker rear wall to give me access to the inner floor

I used a multi tool to cut a square or rectangular panel that i then was able to replace in its original positin by the addition of some wooden battern screwed behind new opening and some magnetic catches and in the one i used small hinges

Screw a piece of material or webbing or drill a hole for a finger to pull / open panel

Note may have added some photos onto this forum years ago when I did it ?

Last edited by trek; 07-05-2020 at 19:29.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 19:44

The Following User Says Thank You to trek For This Useful Post:
Ozzyjohn (08-05-2020)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 14:35

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
We're you just lucky you didn't cut the wires trek or are they not as close as they look in the pic?

Jean
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 13:49

Mutli tool depth of cut easily controlled so i knew the thickness of the board plus as the cutter vibrates chances are it would not really cut through a dangling cable but just push it about Though dont want to test this theory

my mate who is a carpenter says you can touch these blades and they dont cut the skin , again not prepared to prove his theory
raynipper likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 21:07

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
...... my mate who is a carpenter says you can touch these blades and they dont cut the skin , again not prepared to prove his theory
Talking with a friend of mine this evening who recounted a story of a trade fair he attended where someone was demonstrating a"gun" that removed rust from metal objects by using very fast vibrating needles. Apparently these needles were entirely safe so the guy demonstrating the gun said and it was safe to use on his hand. 10 seconds after he started someone was dialling 999 for an ambulance! His hand was a bloody mess - no idea whether the gun malfunctioned or he had it on the wrong setting! I'm also disinclined to prove theories!
raynipper likes this.

Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page