230V Problem Frankia I840BD - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2019, 15:35 Thread Starter

230V Problem Frankia I840BD

Hi,

When the rain started a few weeks back in Reading, I covered the van waiting for a dry spell having cleaned the bodywork following our summer in the Greek sun. I opened the van up to retrieve an item and found the starter and both leisure batteries pretty dead. Before going further with diagnosis I wanted to charge the starter battery so I can move the van to improve access via side hatches. I have a CTEK charging lead permanently attached to the starter battery so if needed I can plug my charger in to a 230V socket in the van and easily connect it to the battery without lifting the battery access cover. Problem 2: No 230V to any sockets. I Checked the DT220 control panel and see that it "thinks" it is connected to the mains (it is plugged in), but the 230V sockets are dead. I had a Schaudt Override protector (OVP-01) fitted between 230V input and EBL220 as I plug in on ferries and this was recommended to me. This device had a light showing faintly but just in case, I plugged the 230V feed to the OVP-01 directly into the EBL220 circumventing the OVP-01.

Oh and by the way I checked the 230v RCD block and it was switched on - yet no 230v. The sockets in the van are not supplied from the EBL220 (I think?) so it looks as though there is some issue in the 230v consumer unit or some fuse I am unaware of on the 230V circuit

Has anyone else experienced this and have any pointers to the next steps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2019, 16:08

My Motorhome: I drive... Hymer B550 Skyline
Between then when everything worked ( ? ) , and now, when things don't.....all batteries flat. Before any more head scratching, I would charge all batteries, then see if all these control circuits start to function normally. Perhaps the control units are defeating any mains getting to the sockets.
In any case, no harm done.
Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to bc109 For This Useful Post:
sheds (20-10-2019)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2019, 16:26

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Having had the same van a while ago I believe that the 12v is what allows the control panel to operate. Therefore if there's no 12v to the panel you cannot turn the 230v on. I think.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2019, 16:57 Thread Starter

I am charging the batteries but only have one charger, so vehicle battery first before 2 leisure batteries. I found something m-u-c-h more worrying. When I plug my rapitest 13 amp socket tester it is showing Live & Earth reverse. I will plug the van in to a second point I had installed for my MIG welder to see if there is a problem with the way the outside van socket has been wired. I have checked that the van lead is correctly wired and all is good there. Otherwise I will have to remove the very very heavy leisure batteries to connect to a charger in my garage/workshop before I can rule out the batteries. Trouble is while the Electroblock manages the charging when the van is plugged in, I don't think it controls the 240V distribution to the sockets.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2019, 16:58 Thread Starter

Erneboy, I did have the 12v switched off as is normal for my winter lay-up. I have switched it on now, but right now I am looking at another potential (serious) problem revealed by my Rapitest, which is showing earth/live reversed
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2019, 20:58

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
The 230 volt system is discrete from the EBL with the exception of the built in battery charging unit.

Is your consumer fitted with an RCD? if it is and something has caused a trip the RCD will need to be reset not just switched on i.e. you will need to push the switch all the way down and then fully up.
Check the operation of the RCD with the test button.

You say live and earth are reversed, are you sure you do not mean live and neutral.

raynipper likes this.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to eurajohn For This Useful Post:
sheds (21-10-2019)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2019, 23:29

My 2008 frankia was not fitted with an RCD just a small case with 2 MCB’s

First job when i got it home was to add in an RCD and also 2 extra MCB’s to improve the distribution of the 230 v ac

Now I cant remember but got a feeling the ELB MAINS supply didn’t go via either of the original MCB’s which may have been why I fitted the extra MCB’s ?

My ELB WHEN ON HOOK UP charges both leisure and engine batteries

Do you have solar panels on roof ?

An excellent test tool to trace ac faults (i.e. the LIVE ) is a non contact ac mains detector pen available for under a tenner at places like screwfix
The Following User Says Thank You to trek For This Useful Post:
sheds (21-10-2019)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2019, 23:33

Re:” my Rapitest, which is showing earth/live reversed”

Have you plugged the Rapitest into the house socket that your feeding the hook up from do you get same result ?

Could be worth checking your hookup cable do you have another one available if so try that
sheds (21-10-2019)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2019, 23:38

Looking at the DT220 control panel you say it shows the hook up icon

Does this dissappear when you disconnect the supply to the hook up lead and reappear when reconnected ? If so it sounds as though EBL GETTING POWER and therefore should be charging ALL your batteries

What about the fridge is this switching to ac when power connected to hook up ?
sheds (21-10-2019)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2019, 23:45

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheds View Post
I am charging the batteries but only have one charger, so vehicle battery first before 2 leisure batteries. I found something m-u-c-h more worrying. When I plug my rapitest 13 amp socket tester it is showing Live & Earth reverse. I will plug the van in to a second point I had installed for my MIG welder to see if there is a problem with the way the outside van socket has been wired. I have checked that the van lead is correctly wired and all is good there. Otherwise I will have to remove the very very heavy leisure batteries to connect to a charger in my garage/workshop before I can rule out the batteries. Trouble is while the Electroblock manages the charging when the van is plugged in, I don't think it controls the 240V distribution to the sockets.
Which side of the channel are you? I live in Germany with an English van and we have this strange happening with sockets, some will just blow a fuse as soon as we plug in others work just fine.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page