1 year old Hab service costs - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-03-2016, 22:32 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Frankia I740+50
1 year old Hab service costs

Can anyone else who has bought a new Frankia tell me what they think of the first years Hab service costs.

Just rang about mine and they want £480 which is criminal!

Love my MH but this really leaves a bad taste in the mouth
JanHank and JanHank like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-03-2016, 22:47

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
It would seem a hell of a lot to basically stay within warranty. Can you ask Frankia what dealers would they accept? Also a check list of what will be done.

Dick
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-03-2016, 22:59 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Frankia I740+50
Frankia only have one dealer in the UK and from a little research thus far it has to be done at a Frankia dealer
I'm sure Frankia will give me numerous dealers all over Europe that are acceptable but the additional cost and inconvenience of getting there would outweigh the benefit.

Considering a Hab service uses no parts (unless charged extra for) that seem like a huge hourly rate for checking my gas, water and electrics are all in order.

I think I have a gun to my head, and whilst I would always endorse my choice of manufacturer I will definitely tell future prospective purchasers of this particular situation

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 18-03-2016, 00:02

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
Surely that price must include the first service of the vehicle as well.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 18-03-2016, 00:23

My Motorhome: 2014 Ducato - Carado T334
Personal Aire
Outrageous!
As a benchmark, my Belgian Hymer dealer recently did our 1st year hab check free of charge, as promised when we bought it.
Surely if you are going to have to spend that sort of money you might as well have a buckshee long weekend abroad for the same cost and get it done in France or Belgium?

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. (Robert Louis Stevenson)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 18-04-2016, 19:44

Hi, We are on our second new Frankia, both bought in Germany. We were told by 2 separate dealers we must get damp test done each year to keep the 5 year water ingress warranty running. This we did on both vehicles. Last damp test 2 months ago cost 80 euros. Our first van ranged between 50 and 60 euro each year. The dealer then stamps the book, if any damp problems you are covered for 5 years.
This is the only services we have had done by Frankia dealers, we have had some warranty problems on the habitation side and these have been repaired with no problems whatsoever. As far as warranty goes I have found Frankia to be more than excellent.
Derek
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 18-04-2016, 21:21

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
from the reports by others on this thread, it would seem you're being "had" by the sole UK dealer? assumed as SMC in Newark?

Shades of Brownhills when they had the Hymer sole dealership.

As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Felpham.

I don't feed trolls!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 18-04-2016, 21:46

My Motorhome: Bürstner City Car C540 and Kip caravan
If Frankia works like Hymer, and it's very possible that they do, you do not need a habitation service, only a damp test and a sticker as proof. Our Hymer is five years old now and we have never had a habitation service done, only a damp test. Two years ago we had a leaky window which was fixed no problem under warranty. Hymer at Bad Waldsee confirmed to me when we first bought the van that a habitation service is not required to sustain warranty. In my view habitation services are complete rip offs. I don't need a dealer to tell me if my gas is working or the 240v sockets are working. I can see that for myself. It's not as though they include a gas service. I used to get the damp test done at Brownhills, who knew Hymers did not require a habitation service for warranty purposes, or in Spain depending where I was when damp test was due. Now I have to go to Knowepark Caravans in Livingstone near Edinburgh. I have no quarrel with their service but every year when I book the van in for a damp test I have to argue the case that I do not want, nor do I need, a habitation service. They give in in the end and just do the damp test but insist that their information, their paperwork from Hymer (so they say) insist that a full habitation service is required. Trust me, it is not.

So, maybe Frankia operate on same principle as Hymer and the dealer, innocently or otherwise, has got it wrong. My advice would be to check with Frankia first. A Hymer damp test can cost anywhere between £70 and £130 depending where you get it done. Unfortunately Knowepark Caravans charge £130 but unless I am in Europe or in southern England I don't have a choice.

Sal

I'm on the road again
Going places I have never been
Going places I may never see again
Just can't wait to be on the road again

Willie Nelson says it all.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 18-04-2016, 21:51

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
At least having the Frankia warranty is a step forward from when we bought a new one from Spinney a few years ago. We didn't find out that the warranty we'd been given was an insurance warranty and not the Frankia one till after we'd taken delivery. I was rather annoyed that this vital piece of information hadn't been shared with us.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 18-04-2016, 22:36

My Motorhome: Bürstner City Car C540 and Kip caravan
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
At least having the Frankia warranty is a step forward from when we bought a new one from Spinney a few years ago. We didn't find out that the warranty we'd been given was an insurance warranty and not the Frankia one till after we'd taken delivery. I was rather annoyed that this vital piece of information hadn't been shared with us.
Ooh, that's naughty. We almost, almost bought a Frankia from them about eight years ago but went with Hymer instead. Nice vans Frankia. I have admired them ever since but happy with my Hymer.

Sal
erneboy and erneboy like this.

I'm on the road again
Going places I have never been
Going places I may never see again
Just can't wait to be on the road again

Willie Nelson says it all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page