Cable routing for new reversing Camera - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 08:44 Thread Starter

Cable routing for new reversing Camera

This year I shall be towing a largish box van trailer behind my 2007 I840BD. The van came fitted with a B&W reversing camera which isn't up to the job, so I wanted to upgrade to a colour jobbie with two lenses so I can see where the trailer is going when I reverse. I want to fit the replacement camera in the same location just below the high central brake light.

Does anyone have any information on the likely routing of the cabling and therefore how much dismantling needs to be done to run a new cable, as I'm sure the old and new would require different wiring?

All I can say so far is that the monitor is mounted on the dashboard vent and the cable disappears down into the dash towards the right-hand side, I haven't removed anything to dig deeper, as there is no point if I am to be stymied by the amount of work required in the rear compartment over the garage. I'm short of time to arrange for a professional fitting so I wanted to know what sort of world of pain I would face.

Suggestions much appreciated.

sheds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 08:53

I'm not so sure that it would need new wiring, if the two cameras have the same connectors - try it and see.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:14 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion Stanner. I have chosen, but not yet purchased the replacement yet but first stop will be a visit to the technical pdf so I can make that evaluation. If I get away without rewiring I shall be very happy indeed!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:19

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
If the cable is different you have at least two options, one is to follow the original cable from the back to the front, another possibility might be to strongly tape the new to the old and slowly pull it through to the front.

You can also get wireless ones, you'd need to pick up a live from the reversing light for the camera, and a ignition live for the monitor, which you'd have to do anyway, as the cable going from front to back is only the video signal.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:44 Thread Starter

Thanks for that suggestion. I had a look at the docs for the twin lens camera and it looks as though I will need to recable. When I stops raining I shall start trying to follow the cable routing - I did think about trying to pull the new with the old, but my experience is that Frankia tend to use cable ties to keep multiple wires tidy so chances are I wont be able to pull, but it's worth a try!

First stop will be to remove the rear bedroom cupboards to see where the cable route starts.

I wondered about wireless too so I will look at that option. Its a long van (8.4m) so I am wondering how good the signal would be?

Thanks again
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:48

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheds View Post
Thanks for that suggestion. I had a look at the docs for the twin lens camera and it looks as though I will need to recable. When I stops raining I shall start trying to follow the cable routing - I did think about trying to pull the new with the old, but my experience is that Frankia tend to use cable ties to keep multiple wires tidy so chances are I wont be able to pull, but it's worth a try!

First stop will be to remove the rear bedroom cupboards to see where the cable route starts.

I wondered about wireless too so I will look at that option. Its a long van (8.4m) so I am wondering how good the signal would be?

Thanks again

see if you can find a place local to you who does reversing cameras and try out the wireless type to see if the distance is too much, but I seem to remember they designed them for trucks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page