Frankia A class I740 Plus rear lounge - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 25-05-2015, 20:20 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Frankia I740+50
Well after several months wait we finally picked her up last Saturday and went for a 2 night shakedown weekend

I'm sure we will find a few niggles over the coming months but for now we are totally blow away with the WOW factor and quality of build

Everyone has always asked me why I love motorhomes and my standard answer has been "I have a hotel room on wheels with a different view every weekend"

I can now say "I have a presidential suite on wheels with a different view every weekend"

....................one very very happy bunny
NormanB, NormanB, erneboy and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 26-05-2015, 15:45

My Motorhome: Frankia 8400GD
Great news! A happy bunny.

Out of curiosity, I emailed Frankia about what our build number (8400GD on a Mercedes 518 chassis) weighed, as it left their factory. They replied by return, out of interest, "vehicle weighed 4008kg, without water, gas, fuel and driver, including Dometic aircon but excluding awning".

The van is plated at 5 tons with potential to re-plate to 5.3tons. We love the van, its space and comfort, for us perfect for over wintering by the Mediterranian.
Tezmcd and Tezmcd like this.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 26-05-2015, 19:16

Frankia A class I740 Plus rear lounge

Teaxmcd - I am pleased that you rate this van so highly. I have read this thread with interest as this Van is on my watch list together with the Hymer DuoMobil.
One of the features that attracts me to the van is the garage.
May I trouble you to let me know the dimensions of the access to the garage (once the door is open) as I would like to know if I can load either of my scooters.
If I remove the back boxes fly screens and wing mirrors I need a clearance of 120 centimetres.

I can't find the dimensions from the Frankia website and it's not in the sales brochure. Can you help?

The Frankia has the advantage of the rear door which will help with the loading and tethering of the bike.

Many thanks

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 26-05-2015, 20:41 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Frankia I740+50
Graham

I will measure the aperture tomorrow for you and report back - however I "believe" it is just over a meter so may fall short of your needs in that respect
MMM have done a short review if you search for it on youtube - I believe the reviewer refers to it as a "proper garage" being just over a meter tall and can fit bikes

On a different note we were also interested in the Hymer Duomobile but found a couple of points that put us off

1. The price for a comparable spec van is probably 20K more on paper (though I never got around to actually talking numbers on one - just what I read)
Although if you must have a Merc you must pay for it and the Frankia Merc chassis is 1,000's more too.

2. I'm not sure Hymer warrants the extra price - and personally I like the fact that Frankia's are a little more scarce (I used to love Audi's when BMW was king - now I don't like Audi hehehe)

3. The biggest decider for me was the rear lounge is actually has smaller sofa's I felt due to that very nice but space hogging rear parcel shelf (which I don't live in but can plug my phone in!)
The UK offside sofa felt a little cramped between the rear shelf and the cupboard.

As you can tell I'm a fan of the Frankia - but then opinions are like bumholes - we all have one but we don't have to like each others

Hope that helps for now

Terry
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 24-08-2016, 18:06

My Motorhome: I drive...
Really interested in how it all worked please

Can we ask how you got on with your 740, we found this thread and read it twice for details as looking at same model, would love your comments on it please 😀

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page