Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Fiat Ducato 2.3JTD fuel consumption

63K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  LT Man 
#1 ·
Hi All

Sorry if this question has been asked previously......I had a look but couldnt find anything

Looking for some advice from you mechanically minded heads out there 8)

I have a 2003 Fiat Ducato (2.3jtd) coach built. It has 45,000 km on the clock and running well.
We were out on the van for the weekend and I have calculated that I was getting 20mpg (14L/100km in new money). The majority of the driving was motorway and we were not pushing any harder than about 100kph

First question is.......does this sound very heavy on juice or is it standard for the 2.3?

Just one thing that might be of note, If the van is running, and you are standing outside, you can hear a "hissing" noise from the engine bay. When we bought the van, we had it checked by our mechanic and he heard the noise......he initially though that it was a turbo issue but having connected the van to diagnostics, no errors showed up for the turbo. The mechanic then put the "hissing" noise down to a leaving vac/air line and indicated that there was no concern

Given the heavy fuel consumption, I am wondering if there might be a problem with the fuel air mix causing excessive fuel burn? (kinda like your central heating oil burner)

Perhaps 20mpg is a s good as it gets

The van has not been remapped and as I understand it, remapping doesn't really effect your fuel consumption rather it gives higher end torque?

Many thanks

See less See more
#29 ·
2010 130hp 2.3 Tuning box took avg from 27 to about 29mpg but massive torque increase .

Just come back from 2500 mile trip from Germany and Switzerland including loads of mountains and about 28.5mpg avg.
Run at 60mph on motorways

General pattern . yours is not right. hmmmm

LT Man

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.