Do we really need this level of detail - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 29-05-2016, 07:59 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Do we really need this level of detail

Who can see it anyway, is it progress for the sake of progress?

I understand that there will be applications for a camera of this magnitude, but what would it cost, will we see it in Currys?

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/n...l-dslr-camera/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 29-05-2016, 09:06

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
Back in the late 1990's, I bought a new Sony Mavica FD-87 camera, my sister picked it up in Singapore on her way home from a holiday in Australia.

It was 1.3mp, one of the leading digital cameras of the day and a 256mb Memory Stick for it was £90! We still have it in the family. Nobody could foresee that within a few years it would be blown away by the new 5mp sensor that Sony were working on.

Our most recent buy was a Sony DSC-R1 camera, 10.3mp and with dual Memory Stick/Compact Flash sockets, Zeiss lens. It was almost obsolete as soon as it came out (Came out in 2005 and ceased production in 2006) Lovely camera, first 'bridge' camera with an APS-C format sensor, but the tide was turning in favour of bodies with exchangeable lenses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Cyber-shot_DSC-R1

Whatever comes out now will set the standard for future cameras, so while it looks overkill, so did 5mp when it came out and so on.

I doubt the guy in the street will buy one, but there are loads of professional, military and exploration uses that it will end up being used for.

Peter

Last edited by listerdiesel; 29-05-2016 at 09:08.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 29-05-2016, 09:29

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,103 Times in 956 Posts
Personal Aire
Giant posters or cutting zoomed images? Might take a while to transfer your holiday snaps.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 29-05-2016, 10:18 Thread Starter

My point was is that other than large print outs or the professional/military use to get more detail, it's a waste as your 8x10 glossy or even on a HD screen is pointless, as it can't display it, and I strongly doubt that any human could tell the difference anyway.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 29-05-2016, 10:59

My Motorhome: Hymer B584
Even the Victorians understood the value of high resolution, hence the quality of many of the images they produced. The plate cameras they used were capable of immense resolution which is only now being approached by digital sensors.

Cheers
Bill
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 29-05-2016, 11:14

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Canon has been trialling new ideas for years now and are often making quantum leaps in quality which others then follow and at that point the price comes down so the "man in the street" becomes interested.

Most of us do not need massive resolution, but such a thing will not stop people wanting it "just in case" and because it may be expected to give better quality pictures overall.

In the end, success or failure will depend upon the desire of people to buy - and they WILL buy if they think it better than what they are currently using......

Dave

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 29-05-2016, 11:31

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
Canon has been trialling new ideas for years now and are often making quantum leaps in quality which others then follow and at that point the price comes down so the "man in the street" becomes interested.

Most of us do not need massive resolution, but such a thing will not stop people wanting it "just in case" and because it may be expected to give better quality pictures overall.

In the end, success or failure will depend upon the desire of people to buy - and they WILL buy if they think it better than what they are currently using......

Dave
I do not observe MH manufacturers reacting to that idea, as the quality of build seems to be going down.

Geoff
Mrplodd likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 29-05-2016, 12:38

My Motorhome: Autocruise Starspirit
For normal users this is too high resolution, however anyone into macro or wildlife photography would kill for the level of detail available especially from a small cropped area. Olympus OMD M5 & M10 both have ( I think) a facility to produce a 40Mp image from a 16Mp sensor which is achieved very cleverly by moving the sensor. This does not add any extra cost to the camera so keeps it affordable. I use an M1 which does not have this feature but the Mk 11 arriving later this year does and will allow a high res image to be captured without a tripod. Love the way this technology is advancing !.
greygit, barryd and barryd like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to shropleepat For This Useful Post:
barryd (29-05-2016)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 29-05-2016, 17:02

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,103 Times in 956 Posts
Personal Aire
There you go Kev. We have a new member who clearly knows what they are on about. Should make a refreshing change on here.
dghr272 and dghr272 like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 29-05-2016, 17:17 Thread Starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page