A walk along the Thames at night. - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-10-2015, 19:40
ob1

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 630
Bill - I wondered the same, but then Robert explained, further on in his reply, that he didn't open up to f5.6 because that would have meant a faster shutter speed which in turn would have ment freezing the water movement, which he didn't want.

When you speak about "the sweet spot" you remind me of all those years I did the same so I am assuming that you are of the old school, and nothing wrong with that I hasten to add. However, I came to the conclusion that the difference could be seen in bench tests but not often enough in prints to worry about. Sadly, nowadays it stays on auto unless I am really after something special. In the old way of thinking I suppose I might be back to taking snaps!

Ron

Last edited by ob1; 22-10-2015 at 19:52.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-10-2015, 20:08

My Motorhome: Hymer B584
Hi Ron,
A lot of water would move past in 30 seconds. I must admit I'm an auto snapper 95% of the time.
ob1 and ob1 like this.

Cheers
Bill
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-10-2015, 20:11

My Motorhome: Bailey Autograph 740
Personal Aire
Hey Robert,
Pic 9 for me,
Some how it makes me think that the Thames has frozen over,
i love the explanation,
When i started, i thought that manual was the way to go, but these cameras, i use a D90 are to clever for themselves,
i use to do a lot of military planes, been known to spend days up a hill waiting for front liners to come through,
any how what we, well most of us do is go for aperture priority on fast jets and shutter priority for props, for a bit of prop blur for motion,
and some times see how low we can go hand held, in fact i have never used a tripod yet, but think it might be coming soon with the shakes ,
i also think that you should start a thread on basics then intermediate,
will keep you active and busy hey?,
Maybe throw in a bit of a competition ?
bye the way, i know what you mean too, i love my photoshop, currently have CS5,
just learnt about content-aware fill,
Must admit though that i tend to take my Cannon (did i just say that,,, wash my mouth out) Power shot with me nowadays, does it all and doesn't weigh much,
keep up the lectures,
Misty
stealthmode and stealthmode like this.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-10-2015, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthmode View Post
Wow, de-ja-vu, this was me with a group of students from Brunel who I took on a 24 hour non-stop day and through the night session. We stopped to eat and chat etc but I made them cover some amount of miles that time.

I'll post a shot of them and you will see I have no gun to their head and they all look happy and excited.
Even though they all had Nikon D40's as these were the in thing back then.
6.1Mpixels.
I was testing the D80 model just to see what it would do on comparison to Transparency film and if the change up was good enough to justify the uni changing to the newer model Nikon back then.

Small world, my Son is at Brunel at the moment doing his second year.

Steve
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-10-2015, 15:00 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive a Renault Master SL33 2008 triptronic (Doing conversion)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revise View Post
Great photos.
I love to look at great photos, but think. Why don't mine turn out like that.
I always wanted to have a go at photography, A suppose one day I might just take it up.
All you need is what I call point and shoot.
This means you leave the camera set on auto and all you have to do is frame the shot.
This is what I love about the new digital age of media.

Robert
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-10-2015, 15:15 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCreer View Post
Just a bit of challenge then Robert. The ones that I wanted to understand the logic for were more those where you had used the small aperture of f18. I'm a believer in using a mid point aperture, whenever I can, to exploit the lens sweet spot and only go to a smaller aperture (higher f number) if there is a need for greater depth of field or use a slower shutter speed.
I noticed also this f-18 shot.
All I can imagine is I have done something else in-between with the camera and somehow ended up with an aperture of f-18. (Which as you noticed, was not needed)
I had students all around me at times and it looks like this shot got snapped by me without a full 100% check on aperture and shutter speed.

I know I also brought them into the lecture centre for students to let them see the difference of f-numbers.
I am still looking through and backtracking my uni days as everything is logged and catalogued.
Hence I'm still able to talk about it but I now need prompting to get at some information with-in my head.
BillCreer and BillCreer like this.

Robert
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-10-2015, 15:40 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigman View Post
Small world, my Son is at Brunel at the moment doing his second year.

Steve
What course?
Maths, engineering science, space, multimedia design, Graphic design?
He will also like the latest buildings added over the last few years and the upgrades around the entire campus.
Absolutely £millions was spent on the accommodation blocks.

I was all for bombing the horrible Lecture centre, Concrete building by Le, corbusier, a total moron and up his rear end snob who was responsible even today for concrete jungles and buildings and causing the sink hole estates around the world we have today.
He was all for having humans living like rats in cages and even today it still happens.

Robert
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-10-2015, 16:21

He is studying psychology Robert. Think he will focus (no pun honest) on sports psychology at a later date, who knows. He loves it though and has everything on campus that you could ever wish for including an indoor running track. Usain Bolt trains there when in town.

Steve
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-10-2015, 18:24 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigman View Post
He is studying psychology Robert. Think he will focus (no pun honest) on sports psychology at a later date, who knows. He loves it though and has everything on campus that you could ever wish for including an indoor running track. Usain Bolt trains there when in town.

Steve
A lot of English athletes use the indoor track. You will see all the famous girls and boys in sport using it at some time or another.
I remember when the Queen came to Brunel to open a new centre she commented on the beauty of the building.
If you ever watched a spin-off BBC TV series from Only Fools and Horses called The Green Green Grass, which was the after life of Boycie and Marlene (Car dealer in only fools and horses) in one episode where their son is on his way to an unheard of university because his grades were so bad, his dad had to pay people and use favours to get his dumb son into uni.
That episode was part filmed at Brunel, right outside the sports track and halls of residence.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/greengreengrass/
96299 and 96299 like this.

Robert
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-10-2015, 19:10

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Well
Just to put a mundane on this thread

I use the iPad as a camara

And have got some brilliant shots

Plus I can enhance them in situ

Just saying

Aldra
stealthmode and stealthmode like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page