How do you manage your Photographs? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 29-09-2015, 10:29 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF 2007
How do you manage your Photographs?

I have always file named my digital photos by YYMM and either DD or sequential for the trip and managed them by Windows Explorer. I have avoided being tied to one software package.

The software with the old Digital cameras gave me the ability to manipulate the naming convention. However, since using an iPhone, it gives its own sequential number which resets when the limit is exceeded. I also have the problem of merging photos from multiple cameras or other people with mine. These have have different file names and some may have not set their camera date correctly.

I found this software last week and it's simple effective and free. http://www.digicamsoft.com/softnamexif.html It can bulk rename the file using the photos date and time but doesnt change any data on the photo. It is great if you are working across platforms and wish to be independent of one particular software package. I was so impressed I gave them a donation.

I have just worked through about 5 years years of iPhone photos, first renaming them to get into sequence, then the dreaded thinning out to make the rest viewable without putting anyone into a coma! I can now watch them on my TV.

Its Dejavu all over again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 29-09-2015, 11:11

My Motorhome: Hymer 504 B Class
Organising photographs can be a nightmare and I don't think I've found the perfect solution yet.

For the last few years, I've been using Photoshop Essentials' Organiser. I file by year, generic name, specific name e.g. 2015/Northern Tour/Alnwick Castle. For people, I use the person's name. Organiser has numerous categories, key words and tags which I tend not to bother with.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 29-09-2015, 11:23

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Whats wrong with Windows Photo Viewer? Or am I missing something here?

I guess all my pics over many years have been 'filed' into various files like HOUSE, FAMILY, NEIGHBOURS, VISITS, TRIPS, etc.
Then subfolders as to YEAR, NAME, LOCATION, JUNK, etc.

Generally I can find one pic in 13,000 pretty rapidly and few are named individually.

Ray.
siggie, siggie, Al42 and 1 others like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 29-09-2015, 11:45

My Motorhome: AutoTrail V-Line 635 SE
Personal Aire
I'm so pleased to read your post, Andrew. I organise all my photos in dated sub sub-folders by year and month too. Inside each folder I add a numeric prefix to each titled photo to ensure they remain in the sequence they were taken.

Our friends think anyone who organises photos so methodically just has to be a bit of an anorak. Probably true, but I can find any photo I need by keyword search in seconds.

It's good to know I'm not alone.

John

For lust of knowing what should not be known
We take the Golden Road to..........................
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 29-09-2015, 11:58 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Whats wrong with Windows Photo Viewer?...
Ray.
Nothing I expect Ray. I dont know it.

Does it have a facility to BULK change the file names based on the date taken without affecting the data in the photograph. This is what I needed to merge and sequence pictures from different cameras and sources.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 29-09-2015, 12:01

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
I don't really know how many images we have these days, we archive the memory stick contents on a 1Tb drive at home.

We save the images in folders that are labelled with the year and month(s) and maybe something in a couple of words to let us know what is in there.

We have a second 1TB drive that we mirror that over to giving us a duplicate.

Backups take time but are worth the effort.

We use Paint Shop Pro V7, works across virtually all of our platforms, Win2K, XP and Win8.1, haven't gone onto Win10 yet.

Peter

Last edited by listerdiesel; 29-09-2015 at 12:12.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 29-09-2015, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewball1000 View Post

Does it have a facility to BULK change the file names based on the date taken without affecting the data in the photograph. This is what I needed to merge and sequence pictures from different cameras and sources.
As it was Microsofts included with Windows I looked no further and get mad when something like Picasa or Photoshop wants to change all my pics to their system.

I have seen an item in Computer Active suggesting how you can bulk change pic names in Windows Photo Viewer but s I don't need to I skipped it.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 29-09-2015, 13:20

My Motorhome: AutoTrail V-Line 635 SE
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewball1000 View Post

Intrigued by this thread, I decided to see what else was available FREE for 'batch' processing. I have a MacBook and use the AppStore in an attempt to keep my computer safe.

I came across 'Fotor' photo editting, available for both Windows & Apple PCs. It seems pretty useful for no cost, and there are a suite of tutorials available on YouTube. Whilst I know you are happy with what you've found, here's a link to the 16 minute tutorial for 'Fotor's Batch' processing. It's not by some geek, but by a lady who speaks clearly and intelligently:

I'll check all the info available, and may give it a go.

John

For lust of knowing what should not be known
We take the Golden Road to..........................
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 29-09-2015, 18:01

Brilliant Hurricane.
But half way through I started to wonder why I would want to do this when Microsoft works for me.

Ray.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 29-09-2015, 19:43

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
Out of curiosity, I checked the jpeg files folder:

52203 files
171gb
465 folders

The 'Work' folder which holds ALL images etc is:

58270 files
302gb
550 folders

Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page