Hobby 650 V Hobby 750 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 12:41 Thread Starter

Hobby 650 V Hobby 750

Hi everyone, we are still having major problems deciding what will be the ideal first motorhome for us. We are pretty sure it is going to be a Hobby and thought we had decided that the 750 FML was the one for us.
However Lisa has been reading that some larger vans have problems getting into campsites and negotiating small country/mountain roads so she is worried that the 750 may be too big. We then started searching the net for a 650 but have found that the payload on a 650 FSC was only 350kg! Is this correct? if so it will probably be too small. There are only the two of us but we want to tour Europe for 6 months to a year and so take a fair bit of gear with us.
Any advice or information from people with first hand experience would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Paul & Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 13:22

My Motorhome: Esterel 21LB
Send a message via Skype™ to carol
Hi Paul and Lisa

I have the new brochure for Hobby in front of me (albeit the German one I picked up at Dusseldorf.... but the model numbers you are giving me, are not the current 2008 models, are you therefore looking at used ones?

If I can help, please yell as I do have the technical info here as well...

You will see pictures of one of the 650's in my album of Dusseldorf as it was one we were very taken with, only they wouldn't quote for one at the show as we had wanted an Automatic.... damned stupid to me.

My own thoughts are this, motorhomes, generally under the 8m will get into most sites, the width is the same I would think, and the length about 50cm difference....

Now we have been used to a 6.68m length and have just ordered a 7.39m - so about the same as the 750 size I think (but as I don't have details of the model number you have mentioned I am unsure, the D750 GELC AND D750FLC AND ELC are all just over the 8m length (so I was wrong above then!)... at 8.053.... There is a Toskana range that comes prefixed with the T.....

When we have been down in Spain and Portugal, we did see plenty of Hobby motorhomes and of the 750 ilk....

I personally would try to keep under the 7.5m.... but it is one of those things you would get used to driving, like taking larger turning angles to go around corners etc.,

If you want to chat - just skype me and I can give you details if you need them

Carol

Carol

Wishing you the Best
Opportunity never goes away!
It just goes to someone else!

Thinking of Peter, Fiona, Chris,UncleNorm and Viv, but still Fighting with Mavis, Ray, and Paul (Otto)

For friends Click for Photos of Aires, Chateau etc. Please leave comments if you wish.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 13:34

The bigger payload is better if you are touring for 6 months. I have a Hobby 750 emc. My wife and I fell in love with the layout, and never looked back until now. We are currently looking to change the van as we only keep them for a couple of years. The double axle means that the van handles brilliantly and we have never had a problem gettng into sites or pitches. If you decide to go for the bigger model, you might want to contact me and come ad look at our van.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 13:58 Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for your replies.
Carol, - yes it is second hand that we are looking for probably 3 to 4 years old maybe a little more. Budget is around the £30k mark.
Mastyke, - Lisa likes the FML because of the seating layout, don't know the EMC will have to look it up
Paul & Lisa
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 15:01

Have had both 750 and 600. The 750 is definately better for space, but is 4.5Tonnes so watch your licence....

The 600+650 are probably a better length if you are not so confident. both Gaspode and I (Bouncer) have those models for sale on the forum classifieds - Gaspodes one is much newer than mine!! and has more 'extras'.
I'm sure if you want piccies or info any Hobby owner on here will help you.They are a fab vehicle and very comfy.... I'm looking to buy a 750 again for more space...but thats because my Gt Dane takes up a lot of room....Good luck
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 20:45

hobby 750

hi. we had a hobby 750 for six years. lovly motorhome but paint finish is not good and paint blisters all over lower panels so be carefull dennis
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 21:24

We have been thinking about getting a motorhome for sometime and purchased a 750 in July. Its a great vehicle ( but I am sure the smaller version is too). We had our first big trip down through France about 8 weeks ago, coming back through the Provence-Alpes taking the 750 into some tiny Alpine villages without any problems. Had no problems with the vehicle at all - it is great to have the room. On the trip there were six of us , and locally we always have friends joining us. We are delighted with the 750 but probably for two the smaller version will get you there quicker.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 01:36 Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the replies, I think that you have persuaded us that we still want the 750 FML so we are definitely in the market for one!
thanks again
Paul
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 22:18

does any one know if the battery charger in the hobby 600 has to be turned off manually or should it be auto its a 2005
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 22:32

My Motorhome: 2013 Hymer 680 MB
This must be what Tony Blair was going on about.

Education.
Education.
Education.

tony,(after a bottle of claret)

WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion

Academia and government artificially select for particular traits, among which is a lack of life experience. This is why it's possible for a person to be exceptionally bright while failing to grasp something as rudimentary as supply and demand.

Intellectuals: All engine, no map.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page