Motorhome Facts Forum banner

RIP Phil.

6K views 116 replies 11 participants last post by  aldra 
#1 ·
Bi BI Phil.

Ray.

#2 ·
He had his critics, but he didn't give a monkeys most of the time.

RIP old chap.

Reactions: patp and raynipper
#3 ·
I liked him and his free spirit way of thinking, he was incredibly loyal to Elizabeth and worked tirelessly for the Monarchy, the UK, the Commonwealth, wildlife and youth, his legacy will live on for many, many years through the DofE Awards - the first time that I met him in 1976 at Buck House.

Great to get to Paddington, walk to a taxi and say “Buckingham Palace please”, the response was “inside or outside ?” In those days, taxis could go inside with the correct invite.....

Driving in made ME feel like Royalty with people at the gates taking pictures.... oh, if only they had known I was only there for a 1 1/2 hour meeting with him..,, (the first of many).

Great sense of humour and great at putting nervous people (including me) at ease.

He was a natural leader and a fantastic Consort.

RIP HRH, Prince Phillip, the Duke of Edinburgh.

His example of service throughout his life wil be missed.

#5 ·
Where are the mounted police? The dogs? The police in riot gear? The tear gas?

Sorry but I couldn’t stand the racist old bugger and if this offends I’m sorry but I’m offended by thousands of homeless dying on the streets along with millions of children going hungry due to the elitist system in the UK.

Attachments

Reactions: patp
#7 ·
Where are the mounted police? The dogs? The police in riot gear? The tear gas?

Sorry but I couldn't stand the racist old bugger and if this offends I'm sorry but I'm offended by thousands of homeless dying on the streets along with millions of children going hungry due to the elitist system in the UK.

He spoke well of you :shocked!:

Reactions: patp and greygit
#6 ·
Not many masks or social distancing................................... spreaders inc.

Ray.

#8 ·
Probably not waring masks as most were obviously out keeping fit and just stopped off for a moment as they ran past.

The nice keep fit togs and particularly the footwear gives it away.

Nice that they can do that spontaneously as they pass without feeling that they ought to go home and dress appropriately for showing respects. Such an out of date idea, isn't it.

I do hope the remaining members of the Royal Family will follow suit.

#9 ·
This will get the Brit racists going on whether Megan should be allowed back in the country or not, they are already starting to appear on Farcebook. It won't be long before the gutter press join in.:crying:

#10 ·
not seen any racist mentions so far apart from yours GG.

Reactions: patp and Matchlock
#12 ·
#13 ·
Not a sad loss for those who felt, and often actually were, targeted and belittled or insulted by his remarks I'd guess.

Anyone less privileged than he was would never have got away with the stuff he came out with. The invitations would just have dried up.

#15 · (Edited)
Do you want to hear my Prince Philip story again which also includes drinking Pimms with a young Catherine Zeta Jones in a bikini? Its one of my favourites!

I raced against him at Cowes week in 1995. We even had a bit of a heated exchange over our right of way on more than one occasion. He had a full crew of fit young Navy types and we had a boat full of pissed up salty old sea dogs. A day that will stay in my memory so clearly for ever. It was the Sigma 38 class race and I felt a bit sorry for old Phil as everyone was going out of their way to carve him up. There was even a powerboat full of topless women sent out to distract him and his crew. :D He got more and more irate as the afternoon went on but the icing on the cake was when we finally beat him by a boats length at the finish line in front of the Royal yacht Britannia with several Royals and foreign royal guest looking on. :D That was Phils last race. He never bothered after that :D

The drinking with Catherine Zeta jones was by accident. Before the race we were about 100 yards off shore (scorching hot day) and I had ran out of **** and nobody had any so I swam ashore with a Tupperware box with a five pound note in it and bought some ****. On the way back I got confused and boarded the wrong boat only to be met by the one and only Miss (at the time) Jones and her celeb mates. Having explained the *** story she felt I deserved some refreshments. She must have regretted having to marry that old goat Michael Douglas having met the Tupperware *** milk tray man. Her loss.

Phil was a bit of an old racist but he was of his time and I quite liked him. RIP.

#17 ·
Yes how clean and pure must all our thoughts be today. Half of the Disney cartoons and Hollywood humour is now frowned upon in case some oversensitive minority group finds something to object to. I swear half the people alive today have no idea of mirth. OK it's usually at someone or something's expense but sticks and stones is still true in my book. We have all been the target of jokes at some time or another.

And no I don't want to get into another pointless BLM discussion before someone tries to drag that up.

Ray.

#20 ·
I don't think there's much wrong with a bit of crude or off colour humour Ray. What is wrong is the causing of offence, especially in Phil's case to people who are not really free to hit back or even to tell him he's being offensive.

#18 ·
Not in the least tempted.

#21 ·
How far will this PC thing go before someone has the balls to stand up and say ENOUGH, TV is now so ridiculous there is nothing to watch without a black, blind, obese, wheelchair bound, lesbian. I don't have a problem with any of these groups, but do we need to see them trotted out to make a program look proper.

#23 ·
Not at all, the theme of the thread goes to PC issues.

#26 ·
The specific issue in the case of Phil making off colour remarks was that he was targeting sitting ducks from a position of privilege. Most likely the people he insulted had been cautioned about when to speak and what they could say.

Mildly amusing? Perhaps. Insulting certainly.

‘You managed not to get eaten, then?’ (suggesting to a student in 1998 who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea that tribes there were still cannibals).

In Germany, in 1997, he welcomed German Chancellor Helmut Kohl at a trade fair as ‘Reichskanzler’ – the last German leader who used the title was Adolf Hitler.

‘You’re too fat to be an astronaut.’ (to 13-year-old Andrew Adams who told Philip he wanted to go into space. Salford, 2001).

‘I wish he’d turn the microphone off.’ (muttered at the Royal Variety Performance as he watched Sir Elton John perform, 2001).

‘Do you still throw spears at each other?’ (In Australia in 2002 talking to a successful aborigine entrepreneur).

Just a small sample but we can see that he certainly had the knack of saying the wrong thing. Anyone else, excepting his Missus, saying those things would have found themselves in the middle of a ****storm.

#33 ·
The specific issue in the case of Phil making off colour remarks was that he was targeting sitting ducks from a position of privilege. Most likely the people he insulted had been cautioned about when to speak and what they could say.

Mildly amusing? Perhaps. Insulting certainly.

'You managed not to get eaten, then?' (suggesting to a student in 1998 who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea that tribes there were still cannibals).

In Germany, in 1997, he welcomed German Chancellor Helmut Kohl at a trade fair as 'Reichskanzler' - the last German leader who used the title was Adolf Hitler.

'You're too fat to be an astronaut.' (to 13-year-old Andrew Adams who told Philip he wanted to go into space. Salford, 2001).

'I wish he'd turn the microphone off.' (muttered at the Royal Variety Performance as he watched Sir Elton John perform, 2001).

'Do you still throw spears at each other?' (In Australia in 2002 talking to a successful aborigine entrepreneur).

Just a small sample but we can see that he certainly had the knack of saying the wrong thing. Anyone else, excepting his Missus, saying those things would have found themselves in the middle of a ****storm.
Oh I dunno Alan. Johnson has said far worse, he is nearly half Phils age and won a 80 seat majority. :(

#27 ·
But equally he came out with off the cuff remarks to other Chief's and even kings. There were not many above him to take offence.

Ray.

#30 ·
Oh, I'm sorry Dave.

I'm simply saying that the "let he without sin" analogy doesn't fit because none of us have been in the position of being the Queen's Consort making remarks for public consumption.

To put it another way. We have not and never could commit the "sins" (your word, not mine) he committed because we won't get the opportunity, and if we ever did we would not be shielded by privilege.

#31 ·
If you go back and look, the let him statement was in quotes, it was not meant to be interpreted as anything to do with his actions.

It is a quote from the Bible (John 8 Ch 7), which was also used in the Monty Python film “Life of Brian”

It refers to when Jesus was being continually questioned and his response was that quotation.

I was trying to suggest that none of us can truly state that we have never said anything that might cause offence, whether in public speaking, or in personal asides, as some of your examples are. On that basis, who are we to question what he said, and why he said it. Often his misquoted “gaffs” were made with a smile to put those he was speaking to at ease - taken out of conquest they appear like big mistakes.

But those he was speaking to rarely, if ever, complain, only those around who wish to dissect and criticise for whatever reason.

If you can claim that you have never said, or posted, things that might cause offence then I would respectfully suggest that you are deluding yourself. Certainly, he said things that could be taken the wrong way but he set a positive example which greatly outweighs anything that he might have said in jest.

#32 ·
I'm aware of the origin of the quote thanks Dave, and even of what it means.

I was not suggesting that I nor anyone else had never caused offence. I was saying that when we did our remarks were not those of representative of the state and that any harm done was limited by the minute size of our audience and that we do not enjoy status which protects from the consequences of the things we say.

What we say is not comparable in effect, in any way, to the things Phil said.

#35 ·
I'm far from being a Royalist but Phil somehow appeared a 'bloke' of the people to me and I guess I liked that.
Maybe being fallible or making a few mistakes endeared him to some. He did his duty in supporting the Monarch. Can't ask for more although careering about in new Range Rovers brought a few raised eyebrows.

Ray.

#36 ·
RIP Phil, but someone beat you to the virus punch. :surprise:

Terry

Attachments

#37 ·
Yep he made some gaffs

But as a none royalist I can ignore him

I admire the work he has done, as person not a royal

But admire the royals ?

Not a chance, I see them as little more than celebrities, some a little less

Born to rule?

But if they bring in the money Ok

But I recon they cost, and in what way are they better than the people they serve?

By merit of birth?

Sandra

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.