Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Motorhome Storage (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/69-motorhome-storage/)
-   -   Storage Sorted (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/69-motorhome-storage/213097-storage-sorted.html)

DJMotorhomer 30-05-2017 12:28

Storage Sorted

Hi All

I have now sorted our storage of the van (for the first time) at Marquis Motorhomes in Dinnington Yorkshire.

Having never stored her before for a long time ( as we are always in her lol)
has anyone any tips for me to assist in her 3 1/2 rest period.

I know to drain her down completely and half open all the taps, turn off the 12v feed, remove all the seating and place moisture crystals about the place. Defrost the fridge / freezer and leave doors on vent. Empty boiler.

Should I disconnect the leisure battery as we have no alarm or tracker ?
Should I close all the window blinds ?
Open wardrobe door and bathroom door ?
Should I prop the mattress frame up to let air circulate ?
I have Gaslow fitted, do I simply turned the gas off or is it best to disconnect the bottles ?

I am just thinking of all the places mould etc would accumulate.

Any helpful tips would be gratefully received as this is my first time putting the van in storage.

Thanks

DJM

EJB 30-05-2017 13:04

3 1/2 what???????????????????????????????????

cabby 30-05-2017 13:22

Basically, make sure that air is free to circulate around the whole of the van, remember to open the top lockers.Drain all water from van.Do you have solar panels.

nicholsong 30-05-2017 13:24

I assume that since you said 'a long time' that you mean 3 1/2 months not weeks.

On the electrics points, do you have a sloar panel and if so does it charge the engine battery? If not you need to consider the drain from the cab radio on that battery. You could disconnect it, but only if you have the code for resetting it after reconnecting. Leisure battey will probably be OK as long as main 12v switch is off, so any slight current leaks are isolated. There will still be a slight drop of voltage within the battery. If the batteries are unsealed make sure they are topped up over the plates.

I always recommend disconnecting the immersible pump(which probably has a non-return valve in it) - firstly to drain this, very important at frost times but not now, but also so that there is no water festering in the pipe above. Just add to your list for a winter store.

Turning the gas off at each bottle isolates them from the system so no need to disconnect - and run risk of leak when reconnecting.

Closing the blinds does protect internal fabrics from UV damage.

If the MH is going to get the sun on tyres it might be better to cover them. Make sure the pressures are correct before storage, as this avoids side-wall damage, as does visiting the MH every few weeks if you can, to mark up the bottom point of the tyres, drive around and ensure a different part of each tyre is at the bottom.

If you do visit, run the engine up to temperature to ensure oil is circulated and take it for a run to ensure same for gearbox oil.

On paperwork - are you going to SORN it? If not, all tax, insurance and MOT must be current to end of storage. Also notify insurers and check policy.

I hope I have helped and covered anything which you did not mention, but may have thought of anyway.

Geoff

DJMotorhomer 30-05-2017 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJB (Post 2595409)
3 1/2 what???????????????????????????????????

Months......did your reply really need 53 questions marks ?
DJM

DJMotorhomer 30-05-2017 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabby (Post 2595441)
Basically, make sure that air is free to circulate around the whole of the van, remember to open the top lockers.Drain all water from van.Do you have solar panels.

No solar panels

Cheers
DJM

EJB 30-05-2017 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJMotorhomer (Post 2595713)
Months......did your reply really need 53 questions marks ?
DJM

Sorry, I meant to post 52 but didn't concentrate when I was counting them....or finger trouble, as you wish:wink2::grin2:

nicholsong 30-05-2017 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJB (Post 2595745)
Sorry, I meant to post 52 but didn't concentrate when I was counting them....or finger trouble, as you wish:wink2::grin2:

Ted

It was a bit over top, and he had explained it was a 'long time', so even this numbskull worked it out.

Geoff

EJB 30-05-2017 21:50

DJ, I certainly didn't mean any offence, if a small joke has upset you I am sorry.
I've been here too long to change my spots :smile2: