Motor Home Covers - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 13:34 Thread Starter

Motor Home Covers

Hello everyone,

I have a question about weather covers for motor homes.
I will be parking the MH up for the winter period at the end of the season (looking at the weather in the UK now it looks like it is already over) anyway, I was looking to buy a cover for the MH and I was at the Chester MH Show last week end and had a couple of conflicting stories.

Should I buy a full cover which will go all over the MH including the sides or just a part cover to protect the roof.

Speaking to one of the exhibitors he said that he would not recommend a full cover as even though they say the do not seat, they do, and as a result he did not sell either.

I will be putting a small heater in there for those colder damp nights / days and will be going in every now and again to check as one does.

Has anyone else out there got any experience on covers for motor homes and if so I would appreciate any feed back / recommendations

Thank Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 14:24

Hi Paul and welcome to MHF.

Have you thought long and hard about "storing" your van over winter ? Most of us don't; we use our vans all year long and indeed, winter is often the best time of the year.

If you are going to cover your van make sure what you buy is made of breathable fabric or you are going to get condensation problems. It must also be well-fitting so you don't get rubbing as it moves and, preferably, have a door so you can get in an check the inside without the hassle of removing the cover.

As to leaving a heater inside...there are disputes over this but the "proper" scientific answer- counter-intuitive for many however- is that you are better off without one as if you warm the inside of the van you will get condensation problems. I'd certainly not leave one in with the van covered and so limited ventilation.

When you do leave your van you ought to drain all the water systems, leave cupboards and internal doors open and upholstered cushions on edge to let air into the lockers below.

G
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 14:52
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
Grizzly just about covered it!

I have used a cover on a caravan which had a fibre glass roof. It tended to rub the suface and dull the gel coat which wasn't recoverable.
It doesn't matter how tight it is secured it will still move and rub the surface/contact points.

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 15:03

Motor Home Covers

Ours shredded in high winds. Bambi 2
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 15:13

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yes, I can only agree with Bambi2 and EJB.
Friends in the states bought purpose made covers for their RVs. Both chaffed the paintwork and gell coat and one totally shredded.

Keeping the van on the lee side of a building can help protect it from the worst of the weather and frost.

We keep ours in a large open barn and only have bird droppings to worry about.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 15:44

Hi,

Ive had two now and both got ripped off with the strong winds. I now pay and put it under cover in secure storage which is at a very good rate. Reply if you require details.
Ian.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 18:52

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
There are too many problems with covers, not covered is when you are putting it on, it can't help but touch the ground so it can get covered in mud grit etc, which then gets on the van, similar when taking it off, so it already dirty the next time you use it.

Whereas the van is designed to live outside, the wind will keep it dry and condensation free.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 20:20

My Motorhome: Hymer B584
Hi,

I have a nice cover but never use it through sheer laziness but I have given a lot of though about when I should put it on.

I came to the conclusion that it is the summer months when most of the damage occurs to the outer shell of the van. It is strong sunlight that damages paintwork, rubber, perspex, bleaches cloth and makes plastics brittle and yellow.

Oil stoves will cause condensation in the van but electric heaters should not cause a problem.

Cheers
Bill
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-07-2011, 09:09 Thread Starter

Hi all,

Thanks very much for all the replies.
It seems to be conclusive . If I cannot get undercover storage somewhere then just leave it in the open. I keep it on my drive which is pretty open so just as Kev says the wind should keep it dry after a down pour. I suppose we have had and will still get good down pours in the UK even in the so called "Summer" months

I am pretty comfident that the roof etc is well sealed however the van is 15 years old and I did have a problem last year with water ingress. I sorted that problem out but there is still a little element of doubt if the full roof is sealed correctly in other areas.

The Van is of Aluminium construction with the seals along the roof edge and down the sides, similar to a caravan. I wonder if I should go for a complete reseal to boost my confidence. Most likely expensive, I could always elevate on end / side to help the water to run away more using the ramps.

I guess I have something to think about in the coming months.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-07-2011, 10:28

My Motorhome: Dethlefs espirit
Personal Aire
I cover mine at the end of sept( as we go to florida for oct) i give the van a good clean and polish, cover it till about the end of jan, never had any probs with it scratching anything, its one of the grey type with loads of straps to keep it nice and tight, when its uncoverd it still nice and clean and ready to go, but it is quite an effort to cover it , just my findings you understand.

Dennis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page