Bye bye Compass - Hello Kontiki - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 25-02-2006, 13:21

Hi Rapide561

I don't wish to complicate your life any further but just thought I'd let you know we had similar difficulties in reaching the decision on which van to get.

We bought our Autocruise Startraveller last April and, on the whole, it is a fantastic 'true' low profile. BUT when we originally went to buy we wanted a fixed bed model with twin settee up front. Of the british models available the Kontiki and Autotrail Dakota were right up there except we have a car port at 2.73m high and really wanted to retain it to put the thing under behind high gates.

So the major compromise for us was the rear fixed bed - and we believed that we could get along with just pulling the two sofas together and throwing our two duvets over them. Sadly, the last year has proved beyond any shadow of doubt that a fixed rear bed has far more advantages and we missed it so much we are changing the van again. Apart from not having to make a bed we missed the storage potential beneath, being able to utilise it during the day for reading or a nap, we found we literally couldn't do much of anything in the morning until the bed was all packed away again - and so on.

So we are awaiting delivery of our Knaus Sun Ti 650MF with increasing impatience. But, just last night, I was reading the Test Report Extra on the Kontiki 660 vogue in March MMM and have to say that, given the price, I'm not sure if I would still choose it now - even if we didn't have the car port. There are some great features but the Knaus is giving us far more in a shorter, lighter vehicle for roughly the same price - hey..... and what a nice looking van.

Yes we too have a Yorkshire Terrier and a Cavalier King Charles to accomodate and they both want the fixed bed model!

Keep with it - you'll get there in the end.

Regards, david
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 25-02-2006, 13:40

Personal Aire
Olav on MHF has that Knaus model, too.
http://www.knaus.de/pdf_rm.php?lang=...m&mid=51&id=51

Dave
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 25-02-2006, 13:48

Hiya Dave,
The thing is that I didn't want to take it away from a swift dealer, I wanted to take it to my local swift dealer because I was happy with the van. Like I said, I had a few problems with it but I was still happy with it.
After all this messing around, it just put me off owning the swift.
If anything else serious went wrong with it I would have to try and get it to chelstons in somerset or pay to have it repaired. That then defeats the object of me buying a new van.
Swift were not very helpful - when I spoke to them on the phone they said that it was down to dealer discretion and that I should look on there website to see where my nearest dealers were so that I could ring them to see if they would do it. Not once did they offer to help me get it sorted, it was a case of ' here's the website, look for the dealers and get on with it'.
I have spoken to a few people about this and have since found out that CAMPER UK based in Lincolnshire are able to do warranty work for a number of manufacturers. Whether this includes Swift I'm not sure but it's handy to know.
But now that I've got rid of the swift I dont have to worry about it anymore, I just dont want people to experience the same problems that I've had. It's just a shame because it was a nice van, ideal for my family, great layout and affordable for a young...ish family like ours.

Still, as they say......you learn from your mistakes.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 25-02-2006, 13:58

Personal Aire
Swift do seem to have shot themselves in the foot.

Dave
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 25-02-2006, 14:26

bye bye compass hello kontiki

Hi Rapide,
Good luck with your new van......just two comments......I would not consider a van without a fixed rear bed......and YES my mini daxie also sleeps with me in bed !
PS with YOUR name.....why not a Rapido ? Can definately recommend them !
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 25-02-2006, 14:28 Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Rapide561
Rapide

Hi Savannah

The name Rapide561 comes from the amount of hours/days/weeks I have spent on what was the National Express Rapide 561 service to Leeds/London!

I am thinking more and more about the bed version!

Here is the young man having a sleep next to me whilst i do all the thinking!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oscar_169.jpg (49.5 KB, 1 views)
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 25-02-2006, 14:35

Oh, he is absolutely GORGEOUS.......if anyone could tell me in words of one
syllable how to attach photos I could let you see MY travel companion !
One thing is for sure......much thought is needed before buying.....but I LOVE the luxury of a fixed bed far more than watching people out of windows !
Lynda
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 25-02-2006, 16:39

hgfvfv

hi rapid,
we have a 2001 bessy E705 model, with ref to winter fulltiming its ok but condensation is the killer or lack of air movement in the closed cupboards that are full of stuff [if you are like us] especially the overcab beds as this area is very badly insulated compared to the roof and walls[are`s has cupboards over the cab and we had to insulate with foil backed insulation to keep the temp up in this space.

we have a small 1kw oil filled radiator which we use to dry towels and use the 2kw electric blown air the rest of the time as gas blown air adds moisture to the air. you will also have condensation form on the front doors as they are not insulated unlike an A class .

in general winter is okay but its better to be abroad in the warmth[most of time] than in the cold gray UK it seems worst after the rain and if frost is forcast fill and empty [waste] tanks at night as the site water frezzes .

hope this helps Tramp
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 25-02-2006, 16:43

My Motorhome: Hymer B644 G
Personal Aire
Re: Rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapide561
I am thinking more and more about the bed version!
At this rate, by tomorrow we'll have you talked into an RV ..
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 25-02-2006, 16:44

Personal Aire
"as gas blown air adds moisture to the air"

Shouldn't do.

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page