Fiat Rapido 7090+ newby electrical question - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2021, 10:46 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Fiat Rapido 7090+
Fiat Rapido 7090+ newby electrical question

Hi, I have recently purchased a 2008 Fiat Rapido 7090+ and I am just trying to get to grips with the electrical installations that have been done over the years.
There was no manual for the Rapido supplied, although there were manuals for absolutely everything else that came with it.

So my questions are -

1. in the garage at the rear there is a connection for a solar panel, however my solar panel appears to have been fitted via a controller directly to the leisure batteries. The controller is located in the same under seat cabinet as the leisure batteries. Is this electrical instalation correct, will it mean the CBE won't know what's going on with the solar charger?

2. I am looking at installing a Fiama Turbo vent in the bedroom (replacing the current roof vent). The Fiama vent requires a 12v supply for the fan. Does anyone know if there is a 12v supply in the roof already, or will I have to run a wire to the AUX1 port in the wardrobe space? I think I have worked out that the AUX.1 is a +12v supply and the MASSE is the negative, is this correct?

3. Habitation door lock - when I use the key to open the door it feels like its using an electronic motor to unlock the door. Should this door open with the central locking for the vehicle doors also?
There is wiring that comes out of the door (hinge side) but I wasn't sure if this was part of the alarm system. Any ideas?

I hope someone can help me.
Thanks in advance,
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2021, 13:14

My Motorhome: Carthago
Your solar installation sounds quite normal as a quick and easy fit, I'm not familiar with your van or CBE electrics but would have thought for the CBE system to be able to show all of the available features of it, it should be integrated into it via the available connections.

I'd think it unlikely there is a wiring feed to the roof area, unless it was an option for the original specification.

Your hab door is most likely an easy fix, very common problem is the wiring you mention on the lower hinge side of door, usually the wires break in the conduit or just inside the door. Investigate and post again your findings and I'll suggest how to fix.

John
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2021, 13:56 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post
Your solar installation sounds quite normal as a quick and easy fit, I'm not familiar with your van or CBE electrics but would have thought for the CBE system to be able to show all of the available features of it, it should be integrated into it via the available connections.

I'd think it unlikely there is a wiring feed to the roof area, unless it was an option for the original specification.

Your hab door is most likely an easy fix, very common problem is the wiring you mention on the lower hinge side of door, usually the wires break in the conduit or just inside the door. Investigate and post again your findings and I'll suggest how to fix.

Thanks, I am away in it this weekend so will have a closer look at the conduit coming out of the door (hinge side) and see if I can see anything obvios.
Do I take it that it should open with the cab central locking then?

Thanks
Pudsey_Bear likes this.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2021, 14:37

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
I had a 2008 Rapido 7090+ . A good MH with 3L engine and 4250kg alko chassis. The all grey paintwork was problematic especially around the door surrounds.
I installed my own solar panel plus 2 channel regulator to charge both leisure and cab batteries. I connected the regulator directly to the batteries and it worked well. The CBE system has no solar monitoring capability although the battery voltage can be displayed so it can be determined that solar voltage is getting to the batteries.

I spent many happy hours pottering around with the MH, replacing the boiler electrical elements was especially memorable. It was on par with fixing a deign flaw which caused the fresh water tank to leak and also replacing a broken blind cord in the large panoramic front roof window. Happy days touring the large majority of France over 5 years or so of ownership

If you want some reading then see my topic regarding the water tank leak. Sorry my photos seem to have disappeared from the topic into the ethernet somehow but the gist is there. A couple of photos attached.
https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/63...ak-7090-a.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007.JPG (229.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 008.JPG (234.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (222.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg boiler feb 2014 002.JPG (233.3 KB, 6 views)
erneboy likes this.

Last edited by rayc; 02-07-2021 at 14:57.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2021, 15:43

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,058 Times in 995 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Hi and welcome to Facts Michael, sorry but my help is limited to having fitted solar the by the same method on all of my previous vans, it is the simplest and most effective way to do it, you don't mention type of controller, but MPPT is marginally better at keeping the batteries topped up.

Have you googled or contacted Rapido for a manual?, most vans are pretty much the same, and I've not seen any electrical details in previous vans, but again Google or Rapido.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2021, 07:33 Thread Starter

Well sorry itís taken a bit longer than planned but last night I eventually got round to looking at this and you were right, there was a broken wire in the long black grommet which had broken off at a previous repair crimped joint. I simply cut out all the old wire and soldered in some nice new wire with plenty of slack so hopefully it wonít brea again. Itís great to have the Hab door work with the central locking now.

Thanks again.
Michael
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael.Archer For This Useful Post:
Pudsey_Bear (10-07-2021)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2021, 07:35 Thread Starter

Hi I havenít requested a manual from Rapido as I havenít been able to find a contact email address for them, none on their website.

I donít think my dual controller is a MPPT, but itís fine for now. Will look to replace when I replace the solar panels as they are looking a bit old and tired.

Thanks,
Michael
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2021, 07:38

My Motorhome: Carthago
Thanks for your feedback, hope you make progress with your other points.

John
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2021, 08:07

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,058 Times in 995 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Solar panels are normally quite long lived, I don't recall anyone on here or other forums replacing them so far, they do require a wipe over with an oily rag once in a blue moon though so I would give them a clean, and test in full sun at midday, and again mid-afternoon and see what you get.

Well don't for sorting the problem and letting us know, something newbies don't seem to bother with usually, which part of Yorkshire are you in?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2021, 13:24

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.Archer View Post
Well sorry itís taken a bit longer than planned but last night I eventually got round to looking at this and you were right, there was a broken wire in the long black grommet which had broken off at a previous repair crimped joint. I simply cut out all the old wire and soldered in some nice new wire with plenty of slack so hopefully it wonít brea again. Itís great to have the Hab door work with the central locking now.

Thanks again.
Michael
Welcome to the forum Michael. As others have said the door wiring is a common problem, glad you have resolved it. The wiring for the solar panel is how most installers fit. There is pre-wiring for solar panels in most Rapido models but most installers do not use. At least your installer fitted the controller in the recommended place, next to the batteries, mine was installed next to the solar panel, a job for the future to move. Wokingham Motorhomes are the main importer for Rapido so a good source of information. There is a dedicated Facebook group for Rapido's: https://www.facebook.com/groups/RapidoOwnersGroupUK. A good place to ask for a manual. There is a contact email address for Rapido in France: [email protected] although I have emailed them on a number of occasions, never had an answer though.

Dave.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page