Rapido 896F Roof Rack - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-08-2020, 10:10 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Rapido 896F Roof Rack

I'm looking at a new Rapido 896F and I'd want to fit a roof rack. Just wondering if anyone knows if they can be fitted with a roof rack? Motorhomes used to have plywood sheet under the roof surface, hence it was easy to screw through the outer layer into this and the roof could be walked on too. Any info would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-08-2020, 11:23

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Hi Reg and welcome to MHF.

I'd contact a supplying dealer, I doubt any of us would have that type of knowledge.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-08-2020, 18:16

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
My first question would be why?

It has a garage so how much are you going to carry. Also it is a long way up so you will need a ladder to get there so more weight.

Mine has a wooden roof under the top plate so no problem screwing stuff but need to seal it well. Not sure about the new ones though. Ask the dealer.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 20-08-2020, 15:17 Thread Starter

Yes, a ladder is obvious and they don't weigh much actually (less than 5kg) the rails and bars weigh 7kg. The roofrack is to carry windsurfing kit and anything too long to fit into the garage. I've been in touch with 2 dealers and they are unable to answer the question.....which is a bit odd isn't it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 20-08-2020, 20:37

Thought it might be surf boards.

Depends on their length but I have seen some vans with them mounted vertically up the back on a bike rack.

Anyway you will be fine with a Rapido.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 20-08-2020, 20:38

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
Reg I'll start by saying I've never had a Rapido, but since the early 80's I've fitted carriers to the roof of Adventura, C.I., Auto Trail, Pilote (4 off), Frankia (2 off) and Euramobil for my windsurf equipment.
I don't use purchased rails as such but fabricate from aluminium tubing and 5 mm sheet two carriers which consist of, for each rail 2 square mount plates 15cm square, 4 riser shafts (2 each base) with a cross rail at top then a single support rail at whatever width you need for the size of board you wish to carry. One front one back at the relevant spacings, thoroughly clean and prepare the area of roof for the base plates, then using the correct Sikaflex with primer attach them to the roof without screws or mechanical fixings.
I've done many thousands of miles and kilometres over the years with my kit on the roof and never had any problems, not used a fixed ladder.
I've also fitted Satellite dishes and solar panels with no mechanical fixings, only the relevant Sikaflex.

I've never been tempted to save a few pennies on a cheaper or different fixing always taken the advice of Sikaflex on which of the many chemicals they recommend for the materials being fixed.

John
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 20-08-2020, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherekee View Post
Thought it might be surf boards.

Depends on their length but I have seen some vans with them mounted vertically up the back on a bike rack.

Anyway you will be fine with a Rapido.
Never seen them carried on a bike rack, usually on bespoke made carriers, there are some companies in Germany that sell them.

John
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 21-08-2020, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post
Never seen them carried on a bike rack, usually on bespoke made carriers, there are some companies in Germany that sell them.

Yes that's what I meant really. Seen ski's done that way too but depends I suppose on the length. Could fit them at a diagonal I suppose to get them to fit.

Bit of a project coming on!
eurajohn likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 21-08-2020, 20:42

A picture to help explain my earlier post, these are to go on my current van, different size base plates to suit available space on roof, the hoops are to ensure everything stays clear of roof opening domes.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200821_150147.jpg (1.58 MB, 12 views)
Reg Moore likes this.

John
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 28-08-2020, 09:48 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your input, especially Eurajohn. I've now had some clarification from the Rapido factory, they state that a roofrack cannot be fitted to the 896F because the roof is entirely styrofoam. The dealer (in Bordeaux) had told be that a roofrack could be fitted and I've been asking them for 2 months where the mounting points are, what is below the plastic substrate, etc., etc., and they have sent me lots of photos of the roof, factory schematics (which showed nothing but peripheral lines and wiring tracks) and lots of other useless info, all the time it appears that they didn't really know the facts but just wanted a sale.

I'm a former motorhome builder / van converter and I know that there's a couple of options which I could take. One of the solutions would be that described by Eurajohn but having discovered that the outer skin is not aluminium or fiberglass sheet, just a plastic composite I decided that would not be appropriate in this case as the roofrack is only ever going to be as strong as the surface it's attached to. Hence a surface mount similar to Eurajohn's incorperating a through-mount and internal reinforcement is the only safe option, but that would invalidate any warranty on the bodyshell. Therefore, I've decided to walk away from it....it's a lovely 'van at a great price, and the dealer is not at all happy! But it just goes to show what some dealers will do just to get a sale, and that some may talk (very convincingly) as if they know the product well, when in fact they know little more than you or I.
Pudsey_Bear likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reg Moore For This Useful Post:
eurajohn (28-08-2020)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page