Why is Hymer so good. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 15-11-2005, 11:55 Thread Starter

Why is Hymer so good.

Hi,

This is an odd question, but what puts Hymer above any other manufacturer. I have noticed when someone new comes on looking for information on buying a new motorhome, invariably the majority of post will be recommending Hymer. Am I missing something here, why do they appear to be head and shoulders above the rest, or is it a British thing that consider Hymer to be top of the range. Better comeback on their investment. How do other members from outside of Britain feel. I personnally am not impressed with Hymer, when I was buying my first m/h I visited a dealer in Manchester and came out with Hymer off my list, I just didn't like them. I felt that their prices where inflated because of the badge, but from what I read on this forum, Hymer seems to be the most popular make of m/h. I am obviously missing out on something.

Here in Ireland we are just starting into the world of Motorhoming, there are now about 15 dealers in Ireland but not one of them deal in Hymer (as far as I am aware), considering it is perceived to one of the top manufacturers this is somewhat suprising.

So please tell me what makes Hymer so great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 15-11-2005, 12:15

Not having a MH but reading a lot, I seem to have gathered that their reputation comes from earlier years of bombproof, handbuilt Mh that used seriously good stuff. Lately, I have noticed a slight trend to complaints about the quality going down slightly.
I'm sure people will flood you with knowledgeable replys, there are many Hymer nuts out there
I must admit, looking at the older, second hand models, I check them all out, but keep dreaming of a Hymer!
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 15-11-2005, 13:58

My Motorhome: In my dreams
I think Hymer are so great because Hymer owners say they are. But I think most German m\home are of similar good quality and I particularly like the Hobby whcih I think is German too. Certainly UK dealers seem to add a bit on the price of Hymers because of the name.

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my Uncle did. Not screaming and shouting like his passengers.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 15-11-2005, 14:54

Send a message via MSN to Snelly
Call the hell out of me, but the older Hymers we looked at when we were buying a mh were overpriced for what they were and seemed very dark inside, with use of dark interiors and small windows.

Sorry Hymer owners!
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 15-11-2005, 14:59

Re: Why is Hymer so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybird
This is an odd question, but what puts Hymer above any other manufacturer.
[...]
So please tell me what makes Hymer so great.
Hi ladybird,

that one is easy to answer: Hymer's marketing department is doing a remarkable job!

Not that they are bad, but there is absolutely no reason to consider Hymer as being better than any other major German motorhome brand.

Hymer is however, that must be admitted, seen by production numbers, by far the biggest German motorhome builder. More than ever if you also take into account the other brands belonging to the Hymer group, like Dethleffs, Burstner etc. Now I do not want to talk about what influence that sheer size might have on the test results in motorhome magazines of which the funding in a great measure depends on advertisements from the motorhome manufacturers...

Best Regards,
Gerhard

Euramobil Sport 585DS (C-class):
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 15-11-2005, 15:22

Hi,
I am sending you this from Portugal, in my Hymer (my second).
I am not going to tell you they are the best built or the best layouts - I will leave you to discover that for yourself !!
As someone has already said there are probably more Hymers or Hymer derivatives on the road than any other make. Come over here and have a look.
They are not that successful just because they are good at marketing or because their price is highish.
Whatever you buy, enjoy it. If you can't buy a Hymer !!!
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 15-11-2005, 15:32

Went to buy a hymer
The sales people couldnt give a truthfull answer (21,000 miles delivery mileage , T reg was new last year, and the cracks in a worktop was delivery damage)

So if that is the quality of hymers you can keep them they are C--P
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 15-11-2005, 15:53

I had an older style S660, it was the flagship model I believe in its day. Take a look at some of my posts regarding our Hymer and the rebuild we did. Personally I think that a Hymer is just a machine and all machines will break in the end, Hymer however Used... to screw them together a little better than the average and certainly built them with far superior materials than comparable UK built MH's. I cannot comment on comparable quality with other German products because I have no experience of them, but our 1989 S660 was real quality compared with our 1990 Swift Kon Tiki. The Swift was certainly a highly regarded MH but in my experience it was put together using the lightest and cheapest of materials and the use of staples instead of screws and other professional fixings was a constant disappointment to me.
You pays your money and you takes your chances but with a Hymer the return on investment seems to be a constant and is disproportionately higher than some other makes.
As a final note our Rockwood Regent US RV makes the Hymer look and feel like a toy though, it really is solid.

I hope this helps answer your question

Keith
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 15-11-2005, 16:02

Hi PnP,

This seems more of a problem with UK sales people than the Hymer 'van !!
How do you justify your C..P comment ?
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 15-11-2005, 16:34

Hi Ladybird,
I have a 1997 Hymer B544 and its just great, i have had no bother and am looking forward to changing it for a newer one in the coming months.
It s my first MH and i would find it hard to take a chance on another make.
Maybe and i do repeat MAYBE, its one of the more popular A Class Mh,
Now i know after making that comment i will have addled somebody.
When i decided to buy a hymer it was the more popular available in Ireland.
In relation to Agents,There is a Hymer Dealer/agent up around Ashbourne although he is not an offical AGENT, there is also a Hymer Dealer in Waterford.
If you want any further details i can email you.
Regards
Jen36059

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page