Peugeot Hymer Camp 55 (1990) - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 23-06-2010, 21:26 Thread Starter

Peugeot Hymer Camp 55 (1990)

Hello,
I have just brought a lovely Peugeot Hymer Camp 55. I have a few questions:

1) Where can I can download the Hymer manual in an English word PDF somewhere? I have looked on the Hymer website but cannot find anything that looks like it, not speaking German, I would not know!

2) The van is 20 years old, but it appears to have only 57,000 Kms on the clock. Would this be original mileage? It is so well kept, that my impression is that it would be in alot worse condition if it had done a million kms.

3) Is there an 12v/240 volt inverter in this vehicle? I can see a leisure battery setup under the passenger seat but cannot work out what is there. I need to recharge laptops and large video cameras while on the move.

4) Fridge: Works on 240v and 12v, does not appear to be responding on the gas - doing all the steps as per the instructions but not getting ignition. Main gas on, red gas tap on, pushed in knob and turned on ignition switch, cannot hear it ignite, nor does it run.

5) Boiler - had it demonstrated working before buying, cannot get it going again.

6) Is there somewhere/somebody in the UK southwest that could help me with some of these issues?

thanks
Phillip

Phillip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 26-06-2010, 23:45

Hi Manvan
I have a 1993 Hymer Camp 55 and I have an operating instruction manual for things like the fridge and boiler etc. : which if you are intrested I would photo copy and send to you.
Oh! and yes it is in english

Richard
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 27-06-2010, 08:31 Thread Starter

richard, that is very kind of you to offer, where are you? if you could mail it to: Phillip Lindsay, Highgrove Farm, East Stour, SP8, 5JW. Britain.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 27-06-2010, 08:34 Thread Starter

PS - please include your address so I can send you some funds to cover your costs...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 27-06-2010, 09:41

Hello Manvan. Welcome to Hymer ownership. I'm sure that you will enjoy the vehicle.

There is not usually a 12v/mains inverter in Hymers. Why not use the 12v lighter output. I have a 4 way splitter and so charge and use a number of items on the move, and when I'm static. It's a cheap option. You can purchase a 12v/mains adapter for about £20.

The instrument panel in the habitation area gives the state of the batteries. Usually top press for cab battery and bottom press for leisure. You haven't stated the charging system.

When connected to mains and driving, charging of cab battery and leisure is normal.

For constant use, consider a solar panel. We have used ours for over 15 years. moved it to each van on purchase. Never had battery run to flat. Solar panels use light, even charge on a cloudy day.

Gas. Best to get the fridge checked. sounds as though the pizzo has gone.

Boiler. Usually switched on by the panel. Down for on. Up for off. A green light will indicate gas to the system. Red light indicates gas dearth (change bottle, if you have 2) A 'click' will be heard as the boiler works.

Your comment about the mileage and state of the vehicle. Sounds like you have a bargain.

Wish you well

Westkirby01
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 28-06-2010, 02:17

hello Phillip
I will post copies to you in the next couple of days
Richard
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 15:05 Thread Starter

Peugeot Hymer Camp 55 (1990)

Lucy, thanks for your tips, most appreciated! I ended up getting a 300 w inverter that clamps straight onto the leisure battery so problem solved there. I got the boiler working now, nice hot showers. The fridge is running on gas now but not super cold like the 240 V mains gives. Whats a pizzo?? Like a generic duvalackey?
Can you or anyone recommend the best source of water to refill my 100 liter tank? All caravan park owners refuse outright even if I offer money. Ended up getting it at a service station but not all of them do that either.
thanks
Phillip
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 00:22

Hi Phillip

the Pizzo unit is a little electronic device which is behind the switch
that ignites the gas system on your fridge., when you activate the switch it will start clicking until the fridge lights the it should cut its self out and presto your fridge should be up and running

hope info I sent was of help
Richard
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 09:03 Thread Starter

pizzo

Richard, I think the pizzo is working as I can hear it ignite and the switch stops clicking soon after. It just does not seem to get that cold as it does on mains 240v. I will not be back to the address I gave you for almost two weeks so look forward to perusing the material then, thanks again.
Phillip
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 07:29 Thread Starter

electrolux fridge and pizzo

Hello Richard,
received your notes in the mail, much appreciated! If you have Paypal, I would like to send you a donation as I do not know if I am going to get to your neck of the woods right now. Boiler and battery stuff all working well, still no joy with the fridge.

It works fine on 240 v and yesterday I took the pizzo unit out and checked everything. I had some guys in the workshop at Walfords in Somerset check the little 'tin hat' and clean the rest of the appliance with air. They said all seemed to be in order. I put everything back in, it lights OK but still the fridge hardly cools, just a little in the freezer. Any suggestions anyone? The pizzo unit is sparking and igniting, perhaps its the little multi-holed circular burner that sits at the bottom? They did check that too and it 'seemed' OK.
Phillip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page