Headlights - pig of a job! - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 15-06-2009, 12:53

Hi Paul, Very interestingly, if you look at the pic on peejay's origional post (2008-06-05) it can be seen that your unit is in fact different where the bulb is fitted and also the configuration where the three screws are fitted. I see what you mean about the assembly coming apart on yours if rotated. It looks like yours might be non adjustable.
I originality got very helpful advice from
Nancy Abnett
Hella UK Ltd
Technical Department
Wildmere Industrial Estate, Banbury, Oxon
OX16 3JU. United Kingdom
Telephone: 00 44 (0)1295 225400
[email protected]

That was back in May 2006 so not sure if Nancy would be still there but Hella Tech. Dept. should be. I suggest you contact them about your dilemma.

Best of luck
Colin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 29-06-2009, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkdx
Hi, Tried to take my light out to see what spare bulb I needed, struggled to get top 2 screws out but still wouldn't come free, is there a hidden screw I can't see.
How much do the lights need to be rotated.
Off to France next in 9 days time
you do NOT need to remove the screws to change or check the bulb! you only do this to convert from LHD to RHD or visa versa! the back of the headlight is a cap turn anticlockwise 1/4 of a turn and it comes off, there is then a sprong clip that you need to pinch together and the bulb comes out.

only way I could do this was to lie under the vehicle and reach up with my right arm and do by feel
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 29-06-2009, 23:27

My Motorhome: Homer 544Classic
Headlights pig of a job

Did mine last week offside was quite easy however the nearside is nearly impossible to get the last screw out.

As we removed each screw we mig welded a hexagon screw driver bit cutting the end off leaving about inch to weld onto the screw allowing either a flexible drive to fit or a flexible screw driver that has interchangeable heads, (hope thats clear.

It is well worth the hard work and satisfaction of beating the problem.
Tried my best to attach pic could not resize sorry.

post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 30-06-2009, 17:44

Re: help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl129
Quote:
Originally Posted by peejay
Hi Paul;

Make sure you read all of this thread, look at my photo on the first post, it is very similar to your set up.
From your photo, it looks to me like they are alreay set up for UK roads, ie, the unit is fully twisted to the right.
Perhaps someone has altered the other settings/screws around the unit?

pete
Hi all
thanks for the info, however when looking at the screw holes, the hole to the right of each posn is much bigger than the one on the left in each case so just twisting it to the left would cause the unit to fall off.
The current way the brown/red part of the unit is fixed in the picture is causing the beam to be directed right, I guess hopefully that there is an onther adjustment some where

many thanks again

Paul
Hi just to close this if the rear is taken off(the black bit with the electric flash) there is a little lever to flip across which just about allows the veh to pass the MOT. Still a pig of a job

regards

Paul
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 15:19

I have the round recessed type on my 1998 S640. I had to get mine changed to UK spec when I imported it from germany 3 years ago. Peter Hambiltons near Preston Lancs did them for me they charged me £120 fixed price took them out cut off a tab or flange and now I just twist them to left or right when I go abroad or return. They removed the front bumper to get at them took two of them an hour to do.
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 15:46

Headlights pig of a job

Peter Hambilton did the same job on mine when I imported it last year.
The whole lamp unit turns left or right and saves messing about with tape and should pass the MOT easily.
Bob45
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 21-08-2009, 00:24

Finally got my screws modified. A friend who is handy with a welder has welded a screwdriver bit on to each one. It is now only a few seconds job to loosen each screw by slipping a stubby ratchet screwdriver onto each one as all are now easily visible.
I also cut off the locating lugs, which was surprisingly easy with a junior hacksaw, the material is a very easily cut alloy.
Adjusting dip direction is now so simple and takes less than a minute per side.
See photos below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_4840_101.jpg (59.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg img_4841_836.jpg (89.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg img_4842_207.jpg (88.0 KB, 28 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page