Fitting a Ducato Multifunction steering wheel - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-05-2017, 08:00 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis i588.
Fitting a Ducato Multifunction steering wheel

I have just had a Pioneer Avic f88dab unit fitted in my 2015 Hymer Exsis i588 motorhome, I then decided it would make sense to fit a Ducato Multifunction steering wheel to provide hands free telephone and music adjustment. (The Pioneer offers this facility)
The replacement steering wheel is a standard 2015 Ducato wheel (with buttons) which fits perfectly, same airbag etc. However, the wheel does not come with any obvious electrical connections to link the control buttons to the existing clock spring, which has 6 terminals, 2 for the horn and 2 for the airbag, leaving 2 spare, I would have thought I needed 4, a positive and negative for each set of buttons on the left and right hand sides of the steering wheel, i.e for handsfree telephone and Radio/music.
Does anyone know how to connect these buttons, or do I need to fit a different clock spring to provide extra terminals?, because I can see no obvious electrical connections on the buttons, or method to link them (surely they can't be wireless ?). I am aware that I will also require an interface link from the back of the clock spring to the Pioneer unit, which is a separate issue and not a problem.

My motorhome is a left hand drive unit imported from Germany in 2015 by its first owner and now UK registered, the Fiat 2.3 150 bhp multijet engine/ chassis and Hymer manuals are in German, any ideas where I can obtain these in English, as a download or in good old fashioned paper.
Any assistance re the above would be greatly appreciated.
71RFC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-05-2017, 09:50

My Motorhome: 2014 Ducato - Carado T334
Personal Aire
I imported a 2015 Carado (part of Hymer group) from Belgium. The supplying dealer obtained English copies of all the manuals for me.
What's a clock spring in this context?

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. (Robert Louis Stevenson)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-05-2017, 10:41

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I would have thought the earth would be common wire, rather than one for each function.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-05-2017, 11:59

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
There is a YouTube clip here: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C4&FORM=VRDGAR

But it stops at the point you ask about, he thinks that there should be 2 wires for the digital data stream & the wire is missing. He was going to check with the supplier but does not return to answer the question. He was also going to check if the wiring loom has the correct wiring but again has not returned to answer.

Dave.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-05-2017, 13:23

The steering wheel controls communicate through the low speed B-CAN network, utilising the clock spring connector. I believe at the very least you will need a can interface controller such as the ones produced by Connects2. What I'm not certain about is whether this can be done if the vehicle did not originally have a multifunction steering wheel. The Ducato, along with many vehicles utilising Can Bus systems, is configured from the factory to its specification at point of manufacture. Alterations may be as simple as installing the necessary additional components and reprogramming the body computer to recognise their presence (a proxy-alignment), or might be too difficult to implement in as much as a different wiring loom and/or replacement body computer could be required. I do know that a facility to configure the steering wheel buttons is present in the diagnostic menu on vehicles fitted with that steering wheel, but I don't know if it exists in the body control module of vehicles built without that spec. Maybe a company producing the connection interfaces such as Connects2 would be able to assist.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-05-2017, 16:34

My Motorhome: Carthago i144QB
Is the wheel you bought leather covered?

If so do you have a part number it and roughly how much did it cost?

I've got a standard plastic wheel on my 2017 chassis and would like to upgrade to the leather covered version.

Richard
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-05-2017, 17:05

My Motorhome: Carthago C - Tourer T 150
Personal Aire
As already mentioned, the multi function steering wheel is a factory fit item and as such cannot be retro fitted, as it is controlled by the ECU CAN bus system. This also applies to foglights and the LED headlights. There may be a way round it but it's not a straightforward plug and play swop.

I spent a long time looking at swapping the headlights to the LED ones but the system is just too complex to allow it. Foglights can be wired up with a separate switch and an independent supply if required.

Colin

Sometimes it is better to stay silent and just let people think you are stupid, rather than open your mouth and prove that you are.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 22-05-2017, 09:59

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
well the OP hasn't returned (and with only 1 post I suspect he won't now). he's also posted the same question as a newbie in Outandaboutlive

but it quiet amazes me that some people go out and buy "complex" pieces of kit to fit expecting it to work without doing the research into "will it work" in advance.
Mrplodd likes this.

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 22-05-2017, 11:30

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuddha View Post
well the OP hasn't returned (and with only 1 post I suspect he won't now). he's also posted the same question as a newbie in Outandaboutlive

but it quiet amazes me that some people go out and buy "complex" pieces of kit to fit expecting it to work without doing the research into "will it work" in advance.
Yes a little odd that the last visit by the OP was at 08.14 0n the day of the post which was 08.00. Maybe he has found the answer elsewhere. Would be nice to know the solution if there is one.

Dave.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 25-10-2018, 00:08

This modification will work if you get the right components with steering wheel with controls and wires airbag squib / clock spring CLOCK 2006 to 2015 I know the vehicles are all the same across the Fiat and Citroen and Peugeot range. When looking around your vehicle you should find plugs hidden behind your dash behind your stereo or underneath your bonnet the ones for your fog lights are on each side or your front end same as the steering wheel as long as you get the wheel with the buttons and the squib you'll be fine fitting a steering wheel. I've just fitted 12 my vehicle with the Android system fitting a reversing camera everything works sweet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page