Hymer S510 RHD mains charging problem - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 17:07 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Hymer S510 RHD mains charging problem

Advice please about an electrical problem.
When my van (right-hand drive) is plugged into external 230 V power the 3 pin mains sockets inside the vehicle are live and functioning properly. However the green mains tell-tale light on the habitation area instrument panel (IT 991) above the back door does not come on as it should and the leisure battery will not charge.
On testing I find that mains cable which plugs into the electrobloc unit (under the front passenger seat on the left side) is live and the automatic cutout switch in the wardrobe area is also live and functioning properly. All the fuses on the electrobloc unit are intact and all the connecting cables are plugged in properly.
The leisure battery does appear to receive does charge when the engine is running.
I suspect that the electro block unit is faulty. I also wonder whether the leisure battery is old/faulty but unfortunately I am unable to find it! The handbook only gives generic information about the location of the battery. Could someone please tell me where to find the battery and any other advice about this would be welcome. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 17:24

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

I'm not acquainted with the S510 however other Hymers have the leisure battery by the step of the passenger door.

Drew

I ❤️ my Wife and also my MacBook Air

Last edited by Drew; 09-02-2017 at 17:44. Reason: Spelling
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 18:50

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Evans View Post
Advice please about an electrical problem.
When my van (right-hand drive) is plugged into external 230 V power the 3 pin mains sockets inside the vehicle are live and functioning properly. However the green mains tell-tale light on the habitation area instrument panel (IT 991) above the back door does not come on as it should and the leisure battery will not charge.
On testing I find that mains cable which plugs into the electrobloc unit (under the front passenger seat on the left side) is live and the automatic cutout switch in the wardrobe area is also live and functioning properly. All the fuses on the electrobloc unit are intact and all the connecting cables are plugged in properly.
The leisure battery does appear to receive does charge when the engine is running.
I suspect that the electro block unit is faulty. I also wonder whether the leisure battery is old/faulty but unfortunately I am unable to find it! The handbook only gives generic information about the location of the battery. Could someone please tell me where to find the battery and any other advice about this would be welcome. Thanks.
It appears that the electrobloc charger may be faulty. You have proved that it is getting power but IT991 green tell tale is not on. The tell tale is normally derived from the charger ON signal. In other words even if your system was working correctly and you disconnected the mains power into the electrobloc then the tell tale would go out. Do all other 12v systems work e.g. lights, waterpump etc?

Last edited by rayc; 09-02-2017 at 18:54.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 19:11

My Motorhome: 2001 R/H drive Mercedes Hymer B680
Send a message via AIM to bigalw35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

I'm not acquainted with the S510 however other Hymers have the leisure battery by the step of the passenger door.

Drew
Hi, I'm also not fully aquainted (yet) with electrics of the Hymer, I am a retired electrician (but not auto), I've got the Hymer B680 RHD, which is similar to yours, my leisure batteries are under the forward dining seat & under the floor, directly behind the passenger seat, hope this helps ?

Work is the ruin of the drinking classes
people only appear bright until you hear them speak
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 19:50

My Motorhome: Hymer Starline B510
S510

Hi Paul,

I have an S510 year 2000, the leisure batteries are in a box under the floor under the day-bed, if you have the bar-version, yours may be the same.

Stewart.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 21:23

I think the original poster must provide us with the motorhomes year of registration.

These vehicles are modified from year to year and it is impossible to give an accurate answer without this.

I ❤️ my Wife and also my MacBook Air
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 21:26 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Many thanks for the quick replies.
Stewart Ė you are correct - the battery is indeed under a panel in the floor of the storage compartment below the day bed on the drivers side of the vehicle. This is an entirely different location from what the handbook suggests! I am grateful for your knowledge about that. I have checked the two fuses adjacent to the battery and they are intact.
Rayc - none of the 12V equipment in the living area works when 230 volts is hooked up. My interpretation of this is that while 230 V is live to the electrobloc the unit must have failed as is not activating the green light tell-tale on the panel above the rear door and is not charging the leisure battery which has therefore run down, despite the van being on hook up continually while in the garage. I intend to disconnect the electrobloc, take the leisure battery out and see if it will hold charge off the vehicle. It looks like a new Electro bloc and (probably) a new leisure battery will sort all this out.
Having now discovered the space where the leisure battery is situated I see there is enough room for another leisure battery alongside - so I may consider a second battery to increase the 12V storage capacity. Will post again in due course to let you know what happens. Thanks to everyone once again. Paul.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 21:46

My Motorhome: Hymer B544SL
Have you checked that the 50amp fuse in the circuit is intact. I picked up my Hymer from a dealer in Germany and when I got home it wasn't charging - they had forgotten to put the fuse in.

When you expect nothing everything is a gift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page