Hymer Specifications? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 08:21

Numbers are close but not exact eg. tech sheets list the 544 at 5.97 the 644 at 6.8 etc.

If you have questions about touring, living, driving, etc in Italy message me.
www.johnandluisa.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 09:20

My Motorhome: Hymer Van 522
Doesn't follow for the VAN522 which is 5.98 metres long.
Perhaps it denotes the width, but that is only 2.14 metres.

Have a look at the VAN522, it is the smallest one they do (apart from the original Excis, which is odd).
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 09:47

Hymer Specs

In case you have not spotted this, the difference between Hymer B Starlines and B Class / Classic is the base vehicle. Starlines are built on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis with rear-wheel drive; B Class / Classic are on a Fiat Ducato chassis which is front-wheel drive. The Starlines tend to have a tighter turning circle because the front wheels do not have to carry the drive-shafts.
The Starline and B Class are finished to the same standard which is a bit higher than the B Classic. The B Class has an Alko chassis bolted on to the back of the Fiat base and has double floor (well the later ones do anyway), whilst the Starline and Classic have a single floor built on the original base chassis.
In 2002 / 2003 the shortest Starline was the B630 (which I have) and that is 6.41 metres long. It has a rear over-garage bed and there was no Starline made at that time with the end-kitchen / bathroom layout of the 544. All B Class types are the same width of just under 2.3 metres, and height of just under 3 metres. It is a tight squeeze in any 'normal' car-sized parking space and will usually overhang one end. I believe there may have been some shorter Starlines made in earlier years.
The other thing you might consider is the matter of 'winterisation'. Although the Starline does not have the double floor of the B Class, I have found no problems. The waste water tank is external, but it is heated, as is the waste valve. The fresh water tank is internal. The B Class is also very well 'winterised', but I am not sure if the Classic has the heated waste tank.

Hope this helps in your decision process. BTW, I am absolutely delighted with my Starline.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 13:54

Location: In the badlands on the border of Staffordshire and Cheshire just out of earshot of the M6 and WCML
Whilst chatting with the guys at Edgehill last Saturday they mentioned that since the introduction of the latest Ducato as base vehicle none of the Hymer A Class vans are under 6m.

Hymer A Classes in general seem to have gradually lengthened as the years go by.

It seems a bit short sighted (no pun intended) as there's a definite trend from other converters to produce more shorter/smaller vehicles.

Andy
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 14:22

Hi

We purchased a 2004 Exsis after trawling around numerous vans and layouts.

At 5.45 metres it siuts our needs and if we were in the market again we would buy another !!!! ....Post 2004 as ther were some useful alterations.

On the whole its a great van BUT at this SIZE its all about Compromise V £££££££££

Good luck and if you need any info on the Exsis feel free to PM

Dinger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page