Windscreen blind - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 20:18 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: La Strada Nova M
Windscreen blind

The electrically-powered metal roller-blind for the windcsreen of my Eura Mobil Integra ceased to function on the first day of a couple of weeks' break in France in May. As it was warm weather, it wasn't a catastrophe, but I'd like to get it sorted before the British summer proper (i.e cold and wet) sets in if I can.

The motor still operates, but the blind is stuck in the retracted position (fortunately!)

Before this, the blind was a bit clanky and sticky - are they meant to be smooth and hushed?

It looks as if access might be gained by removing the shaped ceiling panel immediately behind the windscreen. Has anyone had this problem and solved it? Is it in any way a d.i.y. job? [I am not the lithest being, and my reach is short!]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 19:19

Integra Windscreen Blind

Hi, whilst my blind has never actually failed it was very 'clonky'. After stripping back the material around the bed to get a better look it was obvious that the centre of the blind was catching the wood surround of the bed. I stripped back the ceiling sheet and then slightly prepositioned the blind brackets closer to the windscreen and thus away from wood it had been hitting.
It now runs smoothly and the only noise is the clanking of the individual elements as the come off the roll.
The job is not particularly difficult as you can do it laying on the bed, but you need a decent set of Torx screwdrivers.
It's also possible, if yours has failed completely, that it is caught on the bed and could have blown the fuse on overload? This shows as fuse 5 (15A) on the small distribution box DS-321EM in my documents.

Colin
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 19:38 Thread Starter

Hi Colin

Thanks for that information. After extensive searching of the internet I was beginning to think everyone else's blinds must be working perfectly! Your guidance is very helpful, and I had come to the conclusion that stripping back the bed curtains and the blind's cover-boxes etc was likely to be my only option. I was just a bit worried that I might have an explosion of springs, washers and heaven-knows-what else!

Incidentally, I'd just had the windscreen replaced before this happened. Is it possible that excess rubber sealant from the screen could get anywhere near the blind?

Terry

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 20:32

Integra Windscreen Blind

Hi Terry, don't think it likely that any sealant would affect this.
The blind is a self-contained unit and simply hangs on brackets attached to the A pillar. I also seem to remember that the wood that was contacting the blind was quite thin and had bowed due to its weight. Think I may have also shaved a bit off this to gain some extra clearance?
Take the bed curtaining and roof sheet off and have a look, nothing will fall apart, then see if the blind is catching on the bed. If it's then something you do not want to do yourself then at least you know what the problem is.

Colin
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 22:04 Thread Starter

Hi Colin

Once again, thanks for the encouraging words.

I'll have to see if I can find some time tomorrow to go and lie down on the cab bed! (Although I might need to supplement the patchy toolkit with the Torx screwdrivers)

Terry
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 14:09

I have the same problem with my electric blind, and even though it has been back to the dealer to be repaired under warranty, the firts time I used it, it stuck down, and had to be forced back up. I am taking the vehicle to the dealer again next week, to see if they can come up with another solution, so have been very grateful for the advice given above, which I have sent on to my dealer!!!!

Jenny
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 17:34 Thread Starter

Hi

Well, it's been a busy afternoon. I dismantled the bed curtains and the wooden blind casing, and set to work on the blinds themselves.

I took out the top slat, the one attached to the roller itself as that seemed to be a trifle bent, although I'm uncertain if that was my doing. With a lot of fiddling I've managed to attach the sprung metal clips which attach the blind to the roller to the 'new' top slat. [This job would be a lot easier with the whole lot out of the van, as they'd slide on the the ends of the slats easily, I think.]

Then I found two of the slats near the top had begun separating, and that did take some patient sorting, but it seems OK for now!

Anyway, it now seems to work, and a bit more smoothly, but not as well as would be ideal. Also, for reasons I can't yet fathom, it doesn't retract as far as it did - in fact only to about 3" below the push-pull stops which one is meant to use to prevent it descending inadvertently while you're driving along. I can push it up and use the stops, but previously it went right up to the top of the screen.

Any further thoughts on this welcomed!

Terry
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 21:24

Integra Windscreen Blind

Hi Terry, glad to have managed to get this far. I never worked on the actual roller assembly itself so can only offer a suggestion.
There could be a switch to prevent overtightening of the blind onto the roller, or the blind is catching on something as the diameter increases?

Colin
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 22:10 Thread Starter

Hi Colin

I wondered about the switch option, as the motor simply stops, and doesn't try to wind on, which I think it would if the blind was catching on something. Also, reaching in around it, there seems to be room. However, I think the electrics might be beyond my capabilities! I've decided to sleep on the matter for tonight, but many thanks for your continued interest and replies.

Terry
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:04

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Just a friendly comment

This thread has been about Members helping out, with properly written English and no slagging off of opinions.

Exactly what MHF is for!

Well done all!

Geoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page