Burstner Elegance 810 - engine battery - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 22:12

My Motorhome: Burstner i640
I gave up trying to change the battery on my Elegance a few years ago and called in the cavalry. The mobile mechanic did manage it in the end. However, when I asked him how he actually did it he told me it was just a matter of experience of working on commercial vehicles and knowing how to lift it, when to tilt and/or turn it and so on to get it past the other bits. I've kept his number!

As for general engine access on the Elegance, it's worse than appalling. The timing chain (belt? whatever!) was accessed by putting the vehicle up on ramps and dropping the engine. The labour costs for that were interesting! I can manage the basic fluid checks myself, but even topping up the washer reservoir is a job for a contortionist.

In sum, and as others have suggested, you need to have good arm strength, a well thought-out plan of attack and the patience of a saint. Failing that, a mechanic with experience of commercial vehicles is the answer.

As for the motorhome itself, I love it even though it's getting old and tired.

Lastly, do let us know how you got on.

Carpe Diem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2020, 06:48

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I remember 55 years ago having to change a large battery on a Jag or Humber that was buried into the scuttle under the windscreen behind a V8 engine.
Laying full stretch across the engine to disconnect we used a shovel to get under the battery and drag it across the V rocker boxes to get it out.
The Triumph Stag was another nightmare. Manufacturers haven't learnt and made it any easier in generations.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page