Charging batteries when on hook up!?! - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-10-2009, 21:25 Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to chopper
Charging batteries when on hook up!?!

hi

i have just bought an AUTOTRAIL TRACKER EKS SE, that bit was simple. been away in it for the weekend, what luxury, i was superbly impressed with the van (does one call them vans?) the constant hot water the constant heat from the fire, yes it was a caravan club site (and yes i arrived in a suit form work, but i soon changed) and having paid for the electric i was determined to use it. (never ever been away before and not used gas in 31 years, see i was bought up on gas mantles)

i was dissapointed though when i unhooked the electric cable and tested the leisure and vehicle battery levels on the wall thingy (i dont do technical) above the door to find that both batteries were only two green lights above the 4 amber (is this making sense) i thought that being on hook up all weekend that they would have been fully charged and am worried about going non electric on rallies etc dependant on just one battery.

can anyone advise (and please please please keep it simple!)

kindest regards

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-10-2009, 21:38

Send a message via AIM to CliveMott Send a message via MSN to CliveMott Send a message via Yahoo to CliveMott
You need to set the battery select function on your control panel to the leisure battery.
or
Close the circuit breaker.

c.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-10-2009, 21:50

Are you certain your hook up was live and you weren't running on battery/gas.
Was your fridge mains LED on, did your dimable lights work. You sure your heating wasn't on electric and not gas?

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-10-2009, 21:55

Hi.

Put a voltmeter across the leisure battery. It should read 13.8 volts when on hookup. If not check charger is switched to leisure battery and check if any fuses have blown.

steve & ann. ------------ teensvan
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-10-2009, 22:16

Hi Keith

This sounds a really stupid question . . . but only if you already know the answer.

As it seems it was your first time on a CC site, do you know how to connect to the electric hook-up on the bollard??

You have to push in the plug and turn it to the right until it clicks, otherwise the leccy is not connected.

If you were able to remove your plug when you left without first pressing the little button just by the socket on the bollard, you were not connected to the mains.

One of those things that is so easy when you know how, but it still catches people out on their first trip.

Dave
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 25-10-2009, 23:16 Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to chopper
hi

sorry for the confusion about club sites no it wasnt my first time on a club site in fact it was my 73rd caravan club site

and thats not counting camping and caravan club sites

yes the fridge was on electric the meat was frozen and the electic light was on on the fridge

no the gas wasnt even truned on at the bottle

yes the orange lights were on in the wardrobe for the water heater and the elctric heater

yes the electric dimmable lights were on

yes the leisure battery light was lit on the control panel thingy

!

keith
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 26-10-2009, 08:55

Did you switch the charger unit on?

All the electrics work without putting the Sargent charger on.

If it was switched on the whole time then your leisure battery should have been full.

There are things that use 12v like the Canbus system (if its a new Fiat) and leaving the entertainment switches in the on position will also use up power. The radio when switched off leaves a red light on.

I turn everything off especially when not using electric or parked up at home so as to reduce any power consumption. Vehicle alarm also uses power.

To keep things topped up when not using the motorhome I have a Solar panel and battery master.The first keeps leisure battery topped up and the second sends a charge to the vehicle battery.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 26-10-2009, 08:57

Does the meter (ok led indicator) require calibration ?
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 26-10-2009, 09:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulurita
Did you switch the charger unit on?

All the electrics work without putting the Sargent charger on.

If it was switched on the whole time then your leisure battery should have been full.

There are things that use 12v like the Canbus system (if its a new Fiat) and leaving the entertainment switches in the on position will also use up power. The radio when switched off leaves a red light on.

I turn everything off especially when not using electric or parked up at home so as to reduce any power consumption. Vehicle alarm also uses power.

To keep things topped up when not using the motorhome I have a Solar panel and battery master.The first keeps leisure battery topped up and the second sends a charge to the vehicle battery.
I think you will find as stated above that the charger was not switched on.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 26-10-2009, 09:11

I would agree with previous posts that the charger was not turned on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page