Solar Panel charging vehicle battery? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 11:35 Thread Starter
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
If you isolate the leisure batteries they will not be charged because they are "isolated"

The Sargent system charges all the batteries with priority given to the starter battery. Leave everything connected (as in not isolated) and, providing there is sufficient sunlight, ALL batteries will be kept charged. However at this time of year there is never a huge amount of sunlight so any charge will be sent to the starter battery first so the leisure batteries MAY not be fully charged after the vehicle has been standing for a while. Once the engine is running any deficit will be made up.

Even if the "master" switch is off any charge from the solar panels will be fed to the batteries.

Andy
Thanks Andy

I just need to check the status of the master switch to see if that fully isolates everything or would still allow the solar to feed the batteries.

Graham

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 16:31

My Motorhome: A big black & white one
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJ View Post
I think its the 500 with the 480 control panel- the same as yours.

I know it allows switching of power when on ECU but I have not tried it on just solar. Presumably iit fuunctions in the same way?
The settings for how the batteries are charged when on EHU are not the sa.e settigs that determine where the solar charving is directed. For solar charging settings you need to go into the advanced menu options, not the standard menu.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 16:40 Thread Starter
GMJ

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by siggie View Post
The settings for how the batteries are charged when on EHU are not the sa.e settigs that determine where the solar charging is directed. For solar charging settings you need to go into the advanced menu options, not the standard menu.
That makes sense...ta

Have you done this?

Graham

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 16:49

Quote:
That makes sense...ta

Have you done this?

Graham
Yes.

I have 2 sets of solar panels... 60W to the Sargent and 200W through an MPPT regulator to the leisure batteries. I have therefore set the Sargent to only charge the vehicle battery from the attached 60W panel - the default was to smart charge both vehicle and leisure batteries, just the same way as the default EHU settings does. I leave the 200W solar to look after my leisure batteries.

If you need to know how to access the advanced menu then let me know and I will do so when I get back to the van (currently sitting in a laverie, that is LAVERIE, not lavatory )
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to siggie For This Useful Post:
GMJ (08-02-2017)
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 16:52 Thread Starter
GMJ

Personal Aire
Thanks again

Yes Id like to know if possible.

I would want it as an option when parked up but then be able to switch it back to the leisure batteries when out and about if possible.

Graham

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 16:55

Quote:
Thanks again

Yes Id like to know if possible.

I would want it as an option when parked up but then be able to switch it back to the leisure batteries when out and about if possible.

Graham
In your case it would be best to make sure it is set to 'both' and let the smart charging jiggery-pokery take care of it, it will prioritise to make sure the vehicle battery is cared for first and the leisure battery will take a back seat until the vehicle battery is happy.
caulkhead, caulkhead, GMJ and 1 others like this.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 19:58

OK. Press and hold the 'SELECT' button until 'Advanced Settings' is displayed. Then cycle through the menu options by short presses on the same button until you come to the one that has 'Solar to' on the top line. If the bottom line does not say 'SMART' then short press the 'SET' button to cycle through the options until it does. Once smart solar charging has been selected you can go back to the 'Basic Settings' menu by pressing and holding the 'SELECT' button again.

Good luck.

Last edited by siggie; 08-02-2017 at 20:01.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 20:07 Thread Starter
GMJ

Personal Aire
This is the Select button on the display panel yes?

Graham

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 21:03

On the Sargent ECU box. If yours is the same as mine then you should have a LCD display with 2 little push buttons, labled as in my previous post, to the right of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to siggie For This Useful Post:
GMJ (09-02-2017)
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 17:30 Thread Starter
GMJ

Personal Aire
Further to this I checked with Sargent regarding the on/off switch on the control panel. They replied
"The smart charging facility will operate as long as the PSU is on. The control panel does not need to be on at all for this to work"

So I'll check its on 'smart' and then leave it parked with the master switch on and all should be good.

Thanks for the guidance

Graham
siggie and siggie like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page