Autostar Motorcaravan - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 22:32 Thread Starter

Autostar Motorcaravan

We are thinking of buying an Autostar Atlas 478/Ford 2.5 Diesel(1999). Does anyone know anything about this model or Autostars in general. Your remarks and opinions re this model would be much appreciated.

Also this vehicle has double rear wheels which we don't know much about i.e. the pros and cons.
Can anyone please enlighten us.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 12:07

You don't seem to be getting much of a response, Benbow, so I'll try and give you a 'leg up' although I don't know anything about Autostar apart from I THINK they are French.

As far as double rear wheels are concerned -

Pro They imply greater payload and rear axle loads - meaning usually suitable for carrying a scooter on the back.
In the case of punctures/blow outs, they are safer than single wheels as obviously you have a back-up wheel alongside the 'flat'

con It MAY mean smaller wheels than the single rear wheel version of the chassis - in which case they will give a harsher ride.
The gear ratios may be lower than for single wheels, especially if the twin wheels increase the GVW rating.
The inside wheel can be awkward to check pressure and to get to to change.
Double rear wheels attract commercial Toll charges on many Continental motorways.

Hope this helps
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 15:41 Thread Starter

Autostar

Thank you Time Traveller, that is a great help.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 00:55

Autostar

I have an Autostar Athenor 505 1995 transit base. I have owned it for the past 4 years, the build and material quality are excellent, I am the third owner and apart from initial cost and having a decent alarm/reverse sensors etc fitted it hasn't cost me any thing.
I believe many of them are fitted with the ALDE wet central heating system which is most pleasant during the winter months and the engine heat exchanger runs it while on the move.
I don't think they are so common on the UK roads. The company is indeed French and as from the late 90's is now part of the Trigano group.
The Camperhouse in Oxford used to be the only dealer in the UK but I believe they are no longer trading. Autostar fr is a good place to start.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 12:50

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
We saw a few of them while we were touring in France this year, they looked a quality van, but was not able to look inside.
Our Mustang was a rear twin wheel chassis, 28ft long. we found it was a very stable ride, if like me you will not be changing ones own wheels then there is no problem.
Rwd are better on soft surfaces such as grass. I have not seen a lowline on any rwd chassis.
we also thinking about it, had a Swift Royal on a VW LT chassis 1996 vintage that was rwd and 5 cylinder 2.5 engine.again very stable on the road.24ft long.
My opinion is that you would be best with rwd on a long wheelbase, fwd for a short.
hope this helps.

cabby
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 01:32

autostar

My Athenor is RWD, about 22 ft, has ample push when needed and you are right about the wet grass, never a problem. Yes they are quality vans and I guess that there would be more Autostars on the continent compared with the UK, I have only seen one other here in 4 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page