Autosleeper leak - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-01-2010, 19:16 Thread Starter
lev

Thanks for all the replies ladies and gents!

Helena - We get the leak above the driver side windscreen when the van is parked 'facing upwards' so it must be close to the damp area - I'm pretty certain there must be a hole or broken seal under the grey 'gutter' that goes around the van.

We have a good local bodywork repair man but he thinks there is a risk that the bonded gutter may break if removed - I've emailed AS for a price for a replacement so we can take a view.

It's our first van (had it 12 months now) and we're totally hooked so I want to make sure this is sorted properly.

Very impressed with the level of DIY you bods carry out on here. I wouldn't know where to start with making curtains (hmmm...Mrs Lev on the other hand..?) and I'm too scared to drill into/modify anything in case it goes wrong!

No brackets on our van near the wardrobe - I reckon you may be correct about privacy curtain though.

Will keep you all posted on developments but thanks again for your help
Lev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-01-2010, 21:24

autosleeper leak

My Father had a 1996 Symphony from six months old and he had the leak you describe. It didn't start until about 5 years old and the screws at the end of the large grey trim above the screen was the cause. He applied silicone sealer into the trim screw holes and put in new screws and then put sealer over the screws and refitted the caps.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 26-01-2010, 20:06 Thread Starter
lev

Hi Poleman

Thanks for the tip - It would be really good if that is the problem as shouldn't be too bad to fix. Will take a good look this weekend.

Early indications from A/S are a replacement black gutter/trim would be approx £200+VAT, assuming that their fibreglass supplier still has the mould. so I'm hpoing that won't have to come off!

Fingers crossed and thanks again.
Lev

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 26-01-2010, 22:13

Andy -

Thanks for the curtain info, will be doing the same this year. - Bummer with the curtains on the wrong sides but you have made sure I don't do it!

- Helena.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 13:20 Thread Starter
lev

Hi all,

As an epilogue to the leak issue...

We took the van to local bodywork repairer (Martin Brooks at Upton, Worcestershire). He managed to cut through the plastic gutter and found a hole underneath. Long story short - it's been filled, re-sealed and repainted and you would never know the difference.

Only real point to make (and no scare-mongering intended - this could well be isolated to our van) is that the gutter/fibreglass hitop method of attachment seemed to make the leak inevitable as far as I can tell. The drain holes were at a level which meant that there was often 1/4" of water against the van bodywork. This, coupled with the fact that there was an untreated wooden block used to attach screw fixings which just soaked up water, seemed to accelerate the rust in one area.

As I said, probably isolated to our van, but perhaps keep an eye on the drain holes in your gutter trims and make sure they don't get clogged up.

Anyway, van fixed so I'm happy now.
Thanks to all that posted on this thread.
Lev.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 15:22

There is a known remedy for the Executives Curtains, I cant remember the make/model of the replacement runners but if you are in ASOC there is a mods sheet with the details that you can get from the club.

When our exec side window leaked AS said the quickest way to get the side curtains out was from the outside ! dont know myself got them to do it !!!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 14:45

My Motorhome: I drive...
Mine exactly the same Iíve had windscreen removed and noticed the frame where the rubber fits is rusted up and has a few small holes so itís being welded and having it refitted with new rubber seal Iím lucky as mate has body shop and brother in law replaces windscreens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page