Autosleeper Mezan - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 25-03-2009, 23:09

My Motorhome: Murvi Morello
Hi -
I was a devout Romahome Outlook owner before I bought my Tribute. The Mezan is a shameless copy of the above. Pretty snazzy though.
I was on the smallmotorhome.co.uk site for a couple of years and there were several Mezan owners posting. It seems to me there were quite a few quality issues - of course Romahome has found quite a few to pick on - but I would get onto that site for a few unbiased opinions.

Jacquie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 17:21

Mezan quality

Or should I say lack of ?

I feel sick when I see the Autosleeper advert on the back of Motorhome magazines. Forty years of British craftmanship.

On delivery my Mezan appeared fine but a week later the sun came out. I've never seen so many scratches in my life. The stainless steel cooker top. The windows, it seemed they had been laid on concrete then dragged.

The heater would not work. No washer on the tap. Switch on and watch it spray.

Badly fitting rear door.

Clip backs for cutains all fitted at different heights.

Small screws buried in pile of carpet.

Number plate attached to rear bumper instead of the illuminated recess.

Seat covers soon peeled off as not attached on the inner side.

Ventilation system contained glassfibre dust.

White resin on underside of steering wheel. Not in site when driving but sticky.

Drivers seat locked solid (passenger seat is not movable as battery is underneath).

The padded board running the width of bottom of the luton is a different shape to the left than the right.

First trip. My less than 14 stone went through the bed. My wife (under 10 stone) knealed on the other half of the bed and it cracked. Upon arriving home and removing the covers the ply boards proved to be a fraction thicker than a pound coin and consisted of damaged boards patched with large areas of pink filler.

First rain. The passenger well filled with water as we drove down the motorway. I thought the heater matrix had gone but the water was cold !
Answer was that a large hole had been drilled from where the water drains down the windscreen to take a plastic pipe. This carried the leisure battery wire inside the cab. Problem was the pipe had had a small drop of bathroom sealant squirted in to seal it but they had failed to notice it had run straight through leaving an open tunnel into the cab.
You then find they have sprayed glued on the fitted cab carpeting and stuck the camper colored mats on top. Unfortunately instead of spraying the mat then placing in place they sprayed the black fitted carpet with this white glue. Looks really nice.

I then met up with the driver of a Mezan called "The ship that died of shame"....he had had far more problems than I !

He warned me and all that he said has come to pass. Every internal hinge with 18 months had stripped/corroded to rough, bare metal. The ceiling warps and moves up and down.
Door bolts red rust.
Paint oxidising off internal bolts.
Lower window in door fracturing from three different directs.
Door hinges seizing.
Mold spots growing on internal wall fabric and its DRY CLEAN ONLY (around £200).

Needless to say the Truma regulator failed when we were at the other end of the country and they wanted me to drive all the way back to Autosleepers depot so they could have a look at it.

Latest worry is roof leaks. To open the rear hatch to vent the cooker the whole rear roof section flexes alarmingly. There's already been posts re problems at this point at at other areas. A review of the camper states "Lean on the rear wall...it flexes. Rear door hinges look archaic and amateur. Rusted bolts after a few months. Fit of door appropriate to a 1972 Lada".

My wife has just noticed that the 18 month old blinds (3000 miles covered) have started to develop holes.

What do the next few months have in store ? Rust is already rearing its ugly head and Autosleeper will only replace the Truma regulator with another one the same so how many months before that fails ? The record number of failures reported on the web is FIVE on one camper and Truma will not honour the warranty on these products.

We bought at a distance having seen a Mezan at a show. This seems to show that you should not buy a new motorhome. Buy second hand thats a few years old and you can see if its holding together.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 23:46

My Motorhome: Murvi Morello
Re: Mezan quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by detector
Or should I say lack of ?

I feel sick when I see the Autosleeper advert on the back of Motorhome magazines. Forty years of British craftmanship.

On delivery my Mezan appeared fine but a week later the sun came out. I've never seen so many scratches in my life. The stainless steel cooker top. The windows, it seemed they had been laid on concrete then dragged.

The heater would not work. No washer on the tap. Switch on and watch it spray.

Badly fitting rear door.

Clip backs for cutains all fitted at different heights.

Small screws buried in pile of carpet.

Number plate attached to rear bumper instead of the illuminated recess.

Seat covers soon peeled off as not attached on the inner side.

Ventilation system contained glassfibre dust.

White resin on underside of steering wheel. Not in site when driving but sticky.

Drivers seat locked solid (passenger seat is not movable as battery is underneath).

The padded board running the width of bottom of the luton is a different shape to the left than the right.

First trip. My less than 14 stone went through the bed. My wife (under 10 stone) knealed on the other half of the bed and it cracked. Upon arriving home and removing the covers the ply boards proved to be a fraction thicker than a pound coin and consisted of damaged boards patched with large areas of pink filler.

First rain. The passenger well filled with water as we drove down the motorway. I thought the heater matrix had gone but the water was cold !
Answer was that a large hole had been drilled from where the water drains down the windscreen to take a plastic pipe. This carried the leisure battery wire inside the cab. Problem was the pipe had had a small drop of bathroom sealant squirted in to seal it but they had failed to notice it had run straight through leaving an open tunnel into the cab.
You then find they have sprayed glued on the fitted cab carpeting and stuck the camper colored mats on top. Unfortunately instead of spraying the mat then placing in place they sprayed the black fitted carpet with this white glue. Looks really nice.

I then met up with the driver of a Mezan called "The ship that died of shame"....he had had far more problems than I !

He warned me and all that he said has come to pass. Every internal hinge with 18 months had stripped/corroded to rough, bare metal. The ceiling warps and moves up and down.
Door bolts red rust.
Paint oxidising off internal bolts.
Lower window in door fracturing from three different directs.
Door hinges seizing.
Mold spots growing on internal wall fabric and its DRY CLEAN ONLY (around £200).

Needless to say the Truma regulator failed when we were at the other end of the country and they wanted me to drive all the way back to Autosleepers depot so they could have a look at it.

Latest worry is roof leaks. To open the rear hatch to vent the cooker the whole rear roof section flexes alarmingly. There's already been posts re problems at this point at at other areas. A review of the camper states "Lean on the rear wall...it flexes. Rear door hinges look archaic and amateur. Rusted bolts after a few months. Fit of door appropriate to a 1972 Lada".

My wife has just noticed that the 18 month old blinds (3000 miles covered) have started to develop holes.

What do the next few months have in store ? Rust is already rearing its ugly head and Autosleeper will only replace the Truma regulator with another one the same so how many months before that fails ? The record number of failures reported on the web is FIVE on one camper and Truma will not honour the warranty on these products.

We bought at a distance having seen a Mezan at a show. This seems to show that you should not buy a new motorhome. Buy second hand thats a few years old and you can see if its holding together.

Wow - detector, I see that you have only made one post since you joined. I hope the Mezan hasn't totally put you off motorhoming.
I just came back to this old post in a fit of nostalgia for my long-sold Romahome. I'm so sorry you have been sold a complete lemon. I was chatting about Mezans with Brian, owner of Romahome, at the last NEC show. Needless to say, he was pretty bitter about the brazen theft of his design, but he said the rope was there for AS to hang themselves due to appalling quality issues. I took it with a grain of salt considering the source, but seems he was spot on. Good luck getting your issues sorted as well as you can,
In sympathy,
Jacquie

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 03:22

You should compare with the Romahome before deciding especially the bed making options. Its a pity that Autosleeper copied the design then didn't copy the best bits so well.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 14:35

Autosleeper Mezan - v Romahome Outlook

We got a new Romahome Outlook with Pullman Option and toilet option in March. We are absolutely delighted with it. Yes, it is smaller than the Tribute we had, it suits out lifestyle better though.

The quality is great, we are actually warm in it now, have to turn the heater down. The table is up all the time, no getting the table out when we stop,we don't really feel the difference for us and there is actually more storage than the Tribute. Also, we now get 50% more mileage per gallon.

We bought the larger motorhome in 2007 when we were told that in money terms, you get more for your money with the larger ones. That influenced us, we regretted the choice greatly and were happy to trade it in for the size of motorhome we needed. This time, we sat down and decided what we needed and what we used. I also think that there will be a far superior trade in value for the Romahome than the Tributes.

It's a personal choice thing.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 09:49

Romerhome v Mezan

On the plus side of the Mezan it goes like a rocket, I prefered the "look", and it had the water capacity I wanted for wild camping.
I thought I could live with the full length seats....bad mistake.

Picture is the first bedboard to break. Fraction thicker than a pound coin and patched with filler.
The other board proved to be worse. Filler and TAPE over cracks !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bedboards_142.jpg (270.9 KB, 13 views)
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-06-2015, 14:26

My Motorhome: I drive...
Are they the same as the citreon romahome campervans.....
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-03-2019, 02:37

My Motorhome: I drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednacloud View Post
Thanks for the info.

I looked at one today and though it looked great, compact, so I imagine you need to be organised,but very easy to get around in.

One concern I have is why are there so few around.

Do you see many on your travels?
I've got one, 2006 reg. and it's a little blinder. It IS tiny to live in but I got an awning which gave me a lot of extra space for when I was doing a 5+ day trip. It's a Kyber and once up is great.....the guy at the NEC Camping Exh demonstrated it and it was up in 8 minutes. However I never got it up in under 2 hours - usually more - even when I HAD help from friendly campers who had been watching me struggling for an hour.....AND I'm not counting the time it took 2 peg it and the ground sheet down properly. So I trip without it on shorter breaks. The van itself drives like a car and has been great for the last 5 years - and still is I might add. The heater started giving off horrible fumes so I don't use it. I just plug in a little blow heater when necessary. It's comfortable to sleep in - VERY cosy (not stifling) with 2 people and ample for 1. I used to leave the bed made up because I didn't want to be arsed getting it out and putting it back. The 'kitchen' has just under a metre square floor space but there are 2 handy drop down shelves/work surfaces and I cooked quite a lot in it. This is pretty much why I needed an awning. I like to eat at a table. It's so compact with quite a lot of storage space above the 2 front seats, under the 2 sofas.....and 3 cupboards. OMG! getting quite choked at the thought of selling it.
Pudsey_Bear likes this.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-03-2019, 20:55

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Hi aceExplorer1, welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately the thread was started way back in 2009 so it's unlikely ednacloud will be interested in buying yours, tho it sounds great, and sounds as if it's given you much pleasure.

Are you trading up or are you giving up MHing?

I hope the former, and you'll stick around.

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page