Electrics - dead leisure battery then all OK - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 19-03-2005, 10:47 Thread Starter

I went out to it this morning to see what is happening.
Battery indicator - green - OK
Put on fluo - OK
Additionally put on spotlight and evrything dies - spot, fluo, battery red
Switch all off and leave for a few minutes.

Try again
Battery shows green
try to re-create the fault - fluo on - Ok
Spot on - OK !! - that shouldn't happen!!
Put on EVERY light and it's OK

Leave for half an hour - all still OK

When it does all go out - if the fluo is switched on straight away after switching everything off it sort of lights momentarily and then quickly dulls down to a glow in one tube (they are double tubes) - it doesn't matter which fluo or which spot I use - it's the same.

Is there a capacitor in the circuit or something that could have an intermittent fault on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 19-03-2005, 13:32

Hi,
It's unlikely to be a capacitor with an intermittent fault. What you could try doing is re-create the fault and then measure the voltage between +ve wire to one of the lamps to negative on the battery. Then measure the _ve wire on lamp to Battery GND. If both read approx 12 volts the fault is negative wiring, if voltage is 0 or low on 12 volts side then fault is on +ve wiring. This will at least narrow it down a bit.

If there are switches on the control panel for the 12 volts then I would also suspect them and you are really just going to have to trace the wiring is good all the way from the battery through the circuits.
The symtom of appearing to get some volts is ofen an indication you have a burnt or dirty connection somewhere. The voltage does not seem to be flikering on and off - try tapping switched and manipulating connectors a little to see if that helps isolate fault. Another possibilty is wire has been damaged where it passes through the chasssis, a bulkhead or over a corner somewhere so again if you can isolate the area by measuring the voltage at different parts of the circuit you will eventually find the fault.

It is also possible there is an internal fault in the battery so do measure the battery volts as well when the fault occurs on both the posts and clamps. Also check you can measure 12volts from +ve to the vehicle chassis.

Good Luck.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 19-03-2005, 22:11

From experience with batteries (50 years) they dont have intermittent faults. They go flat & can be recharged. They go bust and stay bust.
More possible is a connection fault to any battery

Or as it is a more complex fault a 'dry joint' (or in lay mans terms a bad connection, or series of same)

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 19-03-2005, 22:41 Thread Starter

I've not been able to re-create the fault all afternoon!
At the moment it is working correctly.
It is now warm and dry - perhaps a factor.
I will keep trying it
Hopefully the rain will come next week and it may show a problem again.
I would like to re-create the fault so that if I make an alteration and it goes I know what the problem was.
I will start with the leisure battery to earth connectoin.

Regards
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 19-03-2005, 23:44

PamNPete,
All due respect, but I actually have a battery sitting next to me just now with an intermittent fault. If I press down on the negative post it works and if not it don't, so I can only summise the lead bar connecting to the cell plates is cracked. How I have no idea as lead is pretty maliable, but can only summise someone was over zealous with a spanner on tightening the clamp.

I was just trying to help legend trace the fault which has been proving difficult.

legend, You may also find you have an inline 30Amp fuse (or similar value) in series with the battery connecting lead, close to the battery, and may also be worth checking the connections to it if one is fitted.
Jon.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 20-03-2005, 00:27

PamNPete

If you have a battery with an internal fault ie intermittent connection internally then ditch it, lead acid batteries and sparks do not mix, can be quite dangerous.

KenS
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 20-03-2005, 00:55

Hi KenS,
Think you meant your post to be addressed to me -- It goes back to Lucus next week as it is still under warranty and they have said they will replace it.
Jon.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 20-03-2005, 01:08

Brambles & PamNPete

Sorry , I should have gone to Specsavers

Ken S
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 28-11-2005, 18:09

Most insurance companies ask you how many seats you have with seat belts. Carrying more people than than will probably void your insurance - please check with your insurer.

Also it is not true to say that because something is law in the UK you will be OK abroad.

Fall foul of the law abroad and you will be clobbered. The Police will enforce the law in that country, not the UK law.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page