AS Kingham - Manual Or Comfortmatic ? - Page 7 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 72 (permalink) Old 21-09-2016, 18:32

You have to get used to them and they have to get used to you.

Once that has happened, they can be a very relaxing drive especially if paired with cruise control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 (permalink) Old 21-09-2016, 19:35

My Motorhome: Hymer B544SL
Is it feasible to start from rest manually in first gear, change to second and then revert to auto. Would this overcome the slow change from first to second in auto mode?

When you expect nothing everything is a gift
post #63 of 72 (permalink) Old 21-09-2016, 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by javea View Post
Is it feasible to start from rest manually in first gear, change to second and then revert to auto. Would this overcome the slow change from first to second in auto mode?
It might well be, but as the "slow" change from 1st to 2nd is not a situation I have never experienced it's not a question I can answer.
The change from 1st to 2nd can be a bit fierce if you accelerate very hard, so if you ever need to do that it could help to be able to hold 1st for longer.
But even if you do that, the box will still automatically change up to 2nd if you try to over rev it.
It will not allow the engine to go past about 4000rpm or drop below about 1200rpm if a higher or lower gear respectively is available.

Last edited by Stanner; 21-09-2016 at 20:24.

post #64 of 72 (permalink) Old 21-09-2016, 20:31

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Javea

These are not automatic gearboxes in the true meaning of the word.

They are robotised manuals, the electronics do everything from slacking off the throttle, disengaging the clutch (yes they still have one) change into whichever gear it decides is best, letting the clutch up again and matching the revs to the road speed. You cannot actual change gear yourself, only tell the imp that does it all what you WANT it to do, it then does it for you. (At its own pace)

I ran one for a while, you do get used to the slow 1st to 2nd shift, but pulling out onto a busy roundabout can be "interesting" as the bloody thing will always start to change just as that 44 tonnes is bearing down on you and there is NOTHING you can do to speed the process up. There is no "gear lever" only a selector lever that LOOKS like a gear lever.

Andy

Personally, having run one for a few years I would not have another, only a "proper" auto, and that seems to be VERY rare on anything other than those at the very high end of motorhomes pricing.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrplodd For This Useful Post:
javea (21-09-2016)
post #65 of 72 (permalink) Old 21-09-2016, 20:43

It sounds like Renault have it much better sorted than Fiat/Citroen/Peugeot then.
post #66 of 72 (permalink) Old 21-09-2016, 23:58

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
My vans have been manual as I generally prefer a manual box to an automatic although I have had several automatic cars. In addition I think that a manual box is probably better when towing although that may be an old fashioned view now. However when I do drive an automatic car (which my wife's is and in which I probably drive 8k miles a year) I find a saving grace is that I can switch it into a semi-manual mode and choose what gear I am in. Am I right in thinking that it is impossible to do this with the Comformatic box? In which case I think i would feel that I was not in proper control, particularly when towing. So saying I am talking from ignorance as I've never driven a van with Comformatic.

Peter
post #67 of 72 (permalink) Old 22-09-2016, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
Am I right in thinking that it is impossible to do this with the Comformatic box? In which case I think i would feel that I was not in proper control, particularly when towing. So saying I am talking from ignorance as I've never driven a van with Comformatic.
No, you are wrong, manual change is possible.

http://www.fiatprofessionalpress.co....s/article/5053
The Following User Says Thank You to Stanner For This Useful Post:
peribro (22-09-2016)
post #68 of 72 (permalink) Old 22-09-2016, 00:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanner View Post
No, you are wrong, manual change is possible.

http://www.fiatprofessionalpress.co....s/article/5053
Thanks. That information has removed just about all my concerns.

Peter
post #69 of 72 (permalink) Old 22-09-2016, 08:03

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
"Proper" automatics are viewed as being the better option for towing these days, I would certainly have one out of choice.

The comments about "not being in control" are frankly nonsense! With automatic the vehicle is always in one gear or another, there is no clutch to wear out and of course. No "dual mass flywheel" either.

An auto actually provides an almost totally variable gearing system so the max torque (when required) is delivered, they are far more relaxing, they are quieter , every single gear change is as smooth as silk, most modern auto's have 7 or 8 gears so mpg doesn't suffer.

Auto boxes EVERY time especially when towing.

Andy

The ONLY disadvantage is that the initial cost is considerably higher.
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #70 of 72 (permalink) Old 22-09-2016, 08:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
The comments about "not being in control" are frankly nonsense!
But if that's how I would feel why is that nonsense? I've driven well in excess of 100,000 miles in automatic cars and have always regularly used the manual side of the box to change down gear ahead of the auto box in circumstances where I know a lower gear is going to be required and I don't want to wait for the box to engage it and nor do I want to use kick down. I've driven autos with paddle shifts on the steering column, shift levers in the central console and so on. My point was that if I didn't have that element of control then I would not be happy with such a box. Stanner has said I would and I then replied that I was happy with that.

Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page