AS Kingham - Manual Or Comfortmatic ? - Page 6 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 72 (permalink) Old 20-09-2016, 18:57 Thread Starter

Well, I eventually got myself a test drive of a Comfortmatic earlier this month and I was left pretty underwhelmed.

I went in to the test drive with an open mind, bearing in mind not to expect anything akin to the smoothness of the auto boxes on my Discovery and BMW work cars, but the very first gear change was so unexpectedly slow, that my initial thought was that the engine had died. I wasn't expecting the change being so prolonged and I felt as if I was bobbing forward in my seat as the power dropped off for each change.

I know I would eventually get used to it, but I'm not sure at this stage that I want to get used to something, rather than it being a pleasure to use.

The jury is out for deliberation !!

Ken.

2005 Bailey Senator Wyoming - 2009 Bessacarr E769 - 2012 Swift Bolero 712SB - 2017 Auto-Sleeper Kingham (On Order)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 72 (permalink) Old 20-09-2016, 18:59

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I think you know the answer to this one.
Blizzard and Blizzard like this.
post #53 of 72 (permalink) Old 20-09-2016, 19:26 Thread Starter

I think I do

2005 Bailey Senator Wyoming - 2009 Bessacarr E769 - 2012 Swift Bolero 712SB - 2017 Auto-Sleeper Kingham (On Order)

post #54 of 72 (permalink) Old 21-09-2016, 08:23

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
I think I do

You pretty accurately describe my findings with the merc sprinter when they brought one out yonks ago, I assumed they had improved by now, maybe it's the emperors new clothes syndrome if you have one

I was reading the other day that 75% of people buying new do not drive the new car until they've come to collect them, I wonder if it's the same with MoHos, I'd never even make an offer without a test drive new or used of the vehicle I was buying, not a demo model, hence I'd never buy new, can't abide the new vehicle smell anyway, all those chemical fumes cannot be good for you.
post #55 of 72 (permalink) Old 21-09-2016, 08:37 Thread Starter

On the plus side, the money I save by sticking with the manual box will just about cover my deposit next month

Have to disagree about that new smell though.... I love it

post #56 of 72 (permalink) Old 21-09-2016, 08:44

Personal Aire
Quote:
On the plus side, the money I save by sticking with the manual box will just about cover my deposit next month

Have to disagree about that new smell though.... I love it
I get the same smell in carpet and furniture shops, it makes me ill, save me thousands
post #57 of 72 (permalink) Old 21-09-2016, 08:47

Quote:
Well, I eventually got myself a test drive of a Comfortmatic earlier this month and I was left pretty underwhelmed.

I went in to the test drive with an open mind, bearing in mind not to expect anything akin to the smoothness of the auto boxes on my Discovery and BMW work cars, but the very first gear change was so unexpectedly slow, that my initial thought was that the engine had died. I wasn't expecting the change being so prolonged and I felt as if I was bobbing forward in my seat as the power dropped off for each change.

I know I would eventually get used to it, but I'm not sure at this stage that I want to get used to something, rather than it being a pleasure to use.

The jury is out for deliberation !!

Ken.
I've had 2 Renaults with the equivalent Quikshift box and that doesn't sound like a good example at all. How new was it?
As I understand it such boxes "learn" the way you drive and adapt to it. One thing I learned was not to hammer away in first like you might with a manual but just to get rolling let it change into second and then accelerate harder as the change from first to second is the hardest for the box to handle smoothly.
The change from 5th to 6th is often only noticeble by the drop of the rev counter needle.
post #58 of 72 (permalink) Old 21-09-2016, 10:41 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanner View Post
I've had 2 Renaults with the equivalent Quikshift box and that doesn't sound like a good example at all. How new was it?
As I understand it such boxes "learn" the way you drive and adapt to it. One thing I learned was not to hammer away in first like you might with a manual but just to get rolling let it change into second and then accelerate harder as the change from first to second is the hardest for the box to handle smoothly.
The change from 5th to 6th is often only noticeble by the drop of the rev counter needle.
Someone mentioned that 'learning' thing on another forum and that the gearbox would need at least 250 miles to adapt to my driving style.
This one was a brand new van off the forecourt and was very low mileage, so I guess that makes sense.

Problem is that I would never get a test drive of that length and without seeing how much the experience improved as the gearbox adapted, I don't think I will take the risk. I know what the manual gearbox drives like, the Comfortmatic would be a bit of a gamble that I may, or may not end up liking.

Better the devil you know

post #59 of 72 (permalink) Old 21-09-2016, 13:46

My Motorhome: Adria vision I707SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanner View Post
my Renault does exactly the same and over the three years I have own her the gearbox has adapted to my driving style,
I No longer do Grand Prix traffic light starts! why would you even try in a 4 tonne MH? but saying that she can go like the clappers if you want too, and certainly the gear changes are way quicker that a human can manage smoothly with the bonus that the computer will not let you over rev or slog the engine ,
if you use her manually you have all the advantages that brings if you prefer and occasionally I flick it into a lower gear on approaching a hill and but normally I leave her to her own devices,

On top of that the auto version is slightly more fuel efficient than the manual, so what's not to like? oviously it's my opinion but after retiring from the motor trade after fifty years and driven many different types I wouldn't have any hesitation in buying another.

Now reitired thank god , looking forward to flying when the weather is good or motorhoming when it´s not, just like to get away from it all now I can take it easy.
post #60 of 72 (permalink) Old 21-09-2016, 15:08

Personal Aire
Quote:
Someone mentioned that 'learning' thing on another forum and that the gearbox would need at least 250 miles to adapt to my driving style.
This one was a brand new van off the forecourt and was very low mileage, so I guess that makes sense.

Problem is that I would never get a test drive of that length and without seeing how much the experience improved as the gearbox adapted, I don't think I will take the risk. I know what the manual gearbox drives like, the Comfortmatic would be a bit of a gamble that I may, or may not end up liking.

Better the devil you know
I'd stay away from them, but as they learn, maybe hire one or perhaps a kind member may lend you one or go along with you and let you try the learning curve, then you'll get the extended drive you really need to try one out, too big an investment to risk otherwise, unlike real slush box, but you do need to have plenty of horses for those, but they are the biz.

I wonder how many get fitted to van which earn a living, can you find any reviews on them ont tinternet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page