Brake pad wear sensor light on - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 21-03-2011, 15:45 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belfast
My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Posts: 9,717
Thanks: 193
Thanked 520 Times in 493 Posts
Advice from London man in Ford service in La Linea was that this often happens when the Transit is driven through dirty water (and there's been a lotof it about down here!) and can right itself just through a day or sos driving when any deposit should shake itself loose.

Worth a try anyway. The brakes feel fine, they were checked in the service late December, and Im not going to lose them suddenly if it is wear then that should become apparent through noise, if I remember rightly.
jiwawa is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 21-03-2011, 19:02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,039
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Advice from London man in Ford service in La Linea was that this often happens when the Transit is driven through dirty water (and there's been a lotof it about down here!) and can right itself just through a day or sos driving when any deposit should shake itself loose.
I can't understand that. If you don't mind me saying, it sounds like a brush off



Quote:
if it is wear then that should become apparent through noise, if I remember rightly.
Yes that's correct. This is when the steel backing material on the pad contacts the disc. This will most likely happen in a far flung & remote area with no hope of sourcing the new pads quickly. May also result in you having to change the discs if they become badly enough scored.

D.
davesport is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 21-03-2011, 21:06 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belfast
My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Posts: 9,717
Thanks: 193
Thanked 520 Times in 493 Posts
I appreciate what you're saying davesport. Regarding the brush-off - he was actually doing himself out of 60-70eu worth of work.

And when our van was serviced in December the guy knew we were heading on a 6-mth trip, and he says the pads were fine. I can't imagine that we'd have worn them away in that time. I use my gears to help with braking when on steep descents.

Since the problem became apparent immediately after driving through the deep and dirty water I think it must be more than just a coincidence.

I hope I'm not proved wrong!!
jiwawa is online now  
 
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2021, 12:38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
My Motorhome: I drive...
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poleman View Post
I have done several transits recently and most have the problem you describe. They leave the factory with four sets of wear indicators (one for each brake) but the replacement pad kits only come with one per axle.

The FORD approved method is to reconnect one set of old sensors to the wiring and only replace one side each time. Usually this is the nearside as they tend to wear out first.

I have however discovered that the looms to the sensor plugs fail leaving the light on as you describe and the quickest and cheapest option is to cut the loom after the chassis plug and join the wires together to put out the light.

As long as your pad thickness is checked when the van is serviced there is no reason to worry.

Identifying which sensor is faulty is possible but is time consuming and you will need a continuity tester or new sensor, and it could be more than one fault.
Hi Poleman, can you describe how we bypass the circuit as in your post. eg Where the connector is and the pins/ wire colours to patch. If so that would be really great.

Many thanks
Stuart Gill is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2021, 12:47
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
My Motorhome: I drive...
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poleman View Post
I have done several transits recently and most have the problem you describe. They leave the factory with four sets of wear indicators (one for each brake) but the replacement pad kits only come with one per axle.

The FORD approved method is to reconnect one set of old sensors to the wiring and only replace one side each time. Usually this is the nearside as they tend to wear out first.

I have however discovered that the looms to the sensor plugs fail leaving the light on as you describe and the quickest and cheapest option is to cut the loom after the chassis plug and join the wires together to put out the light.

As long as your pad thickness is checked when the van is serviced there is no reason to worry.

Identifying which sensor is faulty is possible but is time consuming and you will need a continuity tester or new sensor, and it could be more than one fault.
HI great idea to shorten the circuit. Where would I find the cahsssis plug and what pins or colour wires do I connect together. Transit Mk8 chassis. Thanks for any help.
Stuart Gill is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2021, 22:17 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belfast
My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Posts: 9,717
Thanks: 193
Thanked 520 Times in 493 Posts
Hi Stuart, I'm just giving your post a nudge.

If I remember rightly my problem was eventually a complete disconnect with the wire and connector hanging down. Can't help you with the how to fix tho, sorry.

Jean
jiwawa is online now  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2021, 07:34
Senior Member
 
greygit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: AGUILAS SPAIN
Posts: 5,313
Thanks: 15
Thanked 78 Times in 76 Posts
Have you any hills near you? Brakes can get very hot descending hills and it might just dry out the water seepage if that's the cause.

As I'm a dyslexic and I've had two stokes you are going to see spelling/grammar mistakes, so please don't act superior and point them out!



The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself. Rita Mae Brown.
greygit is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome