Battery charging on Niesmann Bischoff Arto 2003 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 19:05 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to stevee4 Send a message via MSN to stevee4
Battery charging on Niesmann Bischoff Arto 2003

Hi all, I have just bought a N + B Arto. It has no solar panel and I believe the charging system is standard. It has 2 standard leisure batteries.
I will be touring in France with 1 - 3 hours driving each day.
I will be using only standard equipment, (CD player in the cab, occasional blown air heating and the very occasional bout of LCD 12 v mini TV ) otherwise a couple of hours of lighting. I will be changing many to LED.
I had considered putting a solar panel on but the cost of a decent one 400 + that went out the window. I considered a small genny but again the blogs are very against that unless you play for really good ones which are even more expensive.
I believe I should be ok whilst touring unless I have it wrong. Should I consider any improvements to the charging system

Lastly I will be storing the vehicle in the main without any mains hook up.
Should I consider a smaller solar panel ( 10 ish watts ) If so would I be wise to fit it permanently to the roof and hard wire it in.
If I did would this help charge the leisure batteries up to full power whilst on the move and save me from the need to improve the charging system

Or should I just leave it all alone and not worry as the N + B is sorted....???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 19:18

If you are driving most days I would not bother. You could always try the van out of EHU for a day first to see how you get on.

We have 2 110AH bats and an 85 watt solar pannel and can manage for 3 to 4 days easy with 2 kids watching a 15" LCD most of the day.

The storage of the van should not be much of a problem for upto 6 weeks with a good battery on and older Fiat like yours it is the new X250 ones which can drain the can bat due to the canbus electrics.

Richard...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 19:25

Hi Stevee4,

Congrats on the N+B you made a great choice.
The N+B will charge your 2 leisure batteries via the alternator or when connected to EHU (or Genny) via the on-board charger, which puts out 18amps. If you will be driving 1 -3 hrs each day then the alternator will more or less replace your daily useage. A good move to change to LED's this will help enormously.

While Honda are considered the best genny why not look at the Kipor. Kipors are Honda look a likes at a third of the cost.

Solar is great in summer but not so good if you intend to use the MH in winter. Certainly shop around as you can get sub 100W panels for much less than 400.

10W solar panels for use in keeping the batteries topped up are pretty useless in my opinion and during the winter months would not keep pace with the rate of discharge. You need at least a 45W+ panel fitted on the roof for it to be any good. Solar panels on the roof will help to charge up your leisure batteries while on the move in addition to being parked up.

Hope this helps

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 20:01 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to stevee4 Send a message via MSN to stevee4
Thanks I have2 x 85ah batteries so I would think we will be ok dont u

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page