Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Water Filler Cap Stuck - Unsure of how it works anyway

41K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  aldra 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have just gone to remove the water filler cap for the first time and it just seems to turn regardless of which way I turn the key or if I press it in or not.

Could someone please tell me the correct method for the filler that is on a Swift 630.

I am presuming it is 1) Key in. 2) Key Anti-Clockwise. 3) Key Out. 4) Turn cap Anti-Clockwise.

I have sprayed a touch opf WD40 on to no avail. What next?

CHEERS

#28 ·
I stripped mine down completely to see how it worked. In doing so, I saw the problem.

The cap should work like this: Simply, by turning the key, a cam in the central barrel engages in the outer cap, making them as one. The whole cap rotates and can be removed or refitted.

By turning the key the opposite way, the cam in the central barrel DISENGAGES from the outer, allowing the inner to rotate within the outer cap. This is the LOCKED position.

Sadly, the manufacture of these caps lacks precision! Even when the key has been turned to LOCK the cap, and allow it to rotate, the CAM remains engaged and the two parts remain as one.

Solution: 3 points:
1. Carefully reduce the length of the cam pin to allow it to clear the outer cap.
2. Also, trim the inside of the OUTER cap to give more clearance for the cam.
3. Finally, during re-assembly, spray with a silicon or teflon lubricant BUT NOT WD40!!

[The WD40 apparently contains a substance (fish based?) which reacts with plastic and increases its size minutely but enough to WORSEN a problem. WD40 should NOT be used on caravan/motorhome plastic hinges for that reason. Silicon polish/teflon are better.]

#31 ·
But one strange thing is.................... I never have this problem with the diesel cap that presumably works on the same principle.

Soaking the whole cap in boiling water seems to ease the problem.

#34 ·
Reading this post

Brought a lump to my throat

uncle Norm

What a fantastic lovely person who was one of us

One of many who have passed on

And for all our little niggles and arguements

These giants shaped this forum

And yes it should continue

Sandra

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.