Smev oven won't stay lit any suggestions please. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 12:56 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Smev oven won't stay lit any suggestions please.

Hello, we have a new van with a Smev cooker, the oven goes out randomly. Weather conditions don't seem to matter and there is a goodish gap under the door to allow oxygen in. The dealer suggested that opening and the closing the door might be causing a breeze and blowing it out but it has never gone out when opening and closing the door. The thermocouple seems to be well in the flame. Gas supply to the cooker rings seems to be constant so I don't think there is an interruption in the gas supply. The dealer tells me they have had problems with Smev ovens in the past, has anyone come across this, any suggestions please, Alan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 13:02

Simple answer I guess is to ask the dealer to fix it.

No need to get stroppy, but it is his responsibility, and if he's a half decent dealer he will expect nothing less.

I would be a bit concerned if our dealer just said, "Oh, we've had a few problems with those." and left it at that. My approach might become a little firmer after such a comment!

Hope this helps
raynipper likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 13:09

Hi it does sound like a faulty flame failure device, it needs checking out by a gas engineer, normally a £140 call out fee however your 'van is still covered by the warranty.

Find out who the nearest Smev dealer is to you and get in touch.

Regards Dave

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 14:39 Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. I am hoping someone who has had the same problem, as I am told it is common, might post a reply and provide their solution, Alan.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 15:14

Try these, they are agents for Smev and seem to know quite a few answers.

Hovis

info@alde.co.uk
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 15:22

could be the connection between the t couple and the ffd if you can find it make sure that the t couple nut is tight as it could have slackened off due to road vibrations
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 15:51

This type of fault especially on a gas appliance you should not be asking for advice...this type of fault Must be inspected by a suitably qualified corgi gas engineer...i am sure people dont realise that by offering advice / help (with all the best will in the world) they could potentially be putting yours and others life at risk.
Sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, and no offence for those that kindly offered help...but with gas you can not be to carefull, safety is something i feel very strongly about.
BTW if you contact corgi via phone or website they will be able to give you some phone numbers of suitably qualified engineers in your area to repair your appliance.

bob
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 16:49

As a retired corgi registered engineer of some 30 years standing, I see no reason at all not to check the thermocouple at the burner end and at the gas valve as this does not interfair with the gas at all, a common problem is loose connection on the valve. Obviously treat averything with great care, plus check all close joints for leaks even if you have not touched them,
cheers.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 17:54 Thread Starter

Thank you Blondy, Alan.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 20:18

As a qualified gas engineer for domestic, commercial, boats, caravans with over thirty years experience, also a self employed consulting gas engineer to local authoritys etc etc, i would allways advise nobody unqualified touches any gas related product, i have witnessed first hand many times the damage this can do

Blondy....are you trying to tell me and the other readers that the thermocouple has nothing to do with gas ????, whilst i appreaciate no gas runs through it, one end is coupled to the gas valve, i you read the gas and safety in use regulations you will be aware that this piece of equipment is classed as a gas safety device and should only be touched by someone who is suitably qualified

Finally...as for checking for gas leaks ???? are you assuming that Erneboy has a suitable manometer and knows how to use it in order to carry out the correct proceedure for a tightness test.....or that he goes out and purchases some suitable leak detection fluid to check the joints, and has a good knowledge of ventilation requirements??

Sorry for hyjacking your thread Erneboy, i dont want to get into an arguement about this with anyone, just stating the facts...SAFETY FIRST !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page