Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Truma 4 e issue

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Gretchibald 
#1 ·
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any idea as to why the heater fires up fine, in both electric and gas modes, runs for about 15 seconds then cuts out with the red warning light on the switch showing. Hooked up to the mains, gas bottles are full. I see some folks mention an error message showing, where does the message display?

Thanks

goho51

#3 ·
Not sure re displayed codes but do recall folk mentioning faulty separate room temperature sensors, have you one fitted worth checking if you have.

Terry

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. It's working on electric now but still not on gas. Really weird. Tried to find the reset button, no sign anywhere, the heater is back to front in the van rendering easy access to the front panel impossible.

#7 ·
Red light failure can be down to low gas pressure, also voltage not between parameters, could be the PCB.

Google the model for PDF manual.

#9 ·
A call to Truma in Derby can also help.

#12 ·
Fixed red light gas problem, flashing red low 12 volts. If you are using propane check regulator.
Took me a minute to figure that Ted ... Do you mean
Fixed red light = gas problem,
flashing red = low 12 volts?

Good to know!

And can you explain what you mean about propane and the regulator? I mentioned earlier that propane was no good in winter but does it gum up the regulator, or what?

#14 ·
It doesn't need to be very cold for butane to stop boiling off well. It may not gas off at all at 5 degrees or below but I've known mine to be reluctant/intermittent if the cylinder was outside in the shade, at 7 or 8 degrees. I use a local externally bottle on longer stays and have once or twice ended up unthinkingly buying butane.

That's not such a big problem if it's just that your kettle isn't boiling well. My cooker does not have thermocouples on the rings, so any gas flow at all will produce a flame. I could see how weak that flame was on cold mornings with a butane cylinder, indicating that the gas supply is poor. You can't see inside the heater, but a poor gas supply will prevent it working at all.

#15 ·
Proably not relevant as mine is a much older heater but when when it wouldn't light after a lay up , I read somewhere that it might be a spiders web across the burner or the 'eye' and to put a vacuum hose down ( carefully) from the outside vent . Well , i said, worth a try , and what do you know it worked . Don't know of course if that was the problem and the fix or it co-incidentally just started working again , but that was a couple of years or maybe three years ago and it has kept working since. Thought it was worth a mention ,if not for your problem , maybe others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.